News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 440 Advice Please

Started by Shakey, November 29, 2005, 11:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

My '69 440 has a couple of items on there which I kinda have an idea as to what they are for, but I am not 100% on that.

Attached are three photos of the rear of the engine.  One shows both items together and the other two are close ups.  Please tell me if these look proper on this engine.  I'll have more questions after lunch.

Thanks

694spdRT

I assume you are talking about the oil sending unit and the vaccum fitting? The sending unit looks right...maybe someone else can tell you if the vacuum fitting is correct for 1969.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Just 6T9 CHGR

The sending unit for the gauge is correct (should be painted engine color)

The vac tree I believe is correct for an A/C car.   One of those smaller legs is suposed to connect to the vac line from the fire wall for the ducts/doors.
The top larger one is for the brake booster (which you have connected)
Another leg should have a vac hose connecting to your vac can for the headlights.

My car was originally an A/C car and here is a pic of my tree. (no power brakes)

A non A/C tree would only have the large top nipple and 1 small leg on it for the vac can.

Here also is a pic of my oil sender(s) the one on the left is for an external electric gauge (dont tell anyone) ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Well, I guess I don't have any questions after all!  Thanks fellas, thanks a lot.

RD

Quote from: Shakey on November 29, 2005, 01:38:21 PM
Well, I guess I don't have any questions after all!   Thanks fellas, thanks a lot.

shakey, do you have a mechanical oil gauge setup on your car too?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Shakey

Quote from: RD on November 29, 2005, 01:51:32 PM
Quote from: Shakey on November 29, 2005, 01:38:21 PM
Well, I guess I don't have any questions after all!   Thanks fellas, thanks a lot.

shakey, do you have a mechanical oil gauge setup on your car too?

Right now I have a big F'in mess under my dash!

I am going to install a new under dash wiring harness in the next few weeks.  I see that I have an "extra" gauge mounted under the dash, IIRC, it is a oil pressure gauge.  I have seen these on numerous Chargers and at one point I started to wonder if they were factory.  I have the rallye cluster with the car and I plan on removing the extra gauge.  Looking at one of the photos I posted above, in my original post, I think that I might have some "extra" wire also?   :shruggy:

Maybe I do have more questions.  :scratchchin:

RD

yep that is a mechanical oil pressure gauge.  I saw the plastic line running from the other side of your electrical oil sending unit on the rear of the engine block.  Makes me wonder why the guy installed the mechanical one?  Maybe your electrical one does not work (gauge or sending unit).  Something to think about.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Shakey

Quote from: RD on November 29, 2005, 02:31:10 PM
yep that is a mechanical oil pressure gauge.   I saw the plastic line running from the other side of your electrical oil sending unit on the rear of the engine block.   Makes me wonder why the guy installed the mechanical one?   Maybe your electrical one does not work (gauge or sending unit).   Something to think about.

I plan on sendng my cluster out for restoration by AutoInstrument in VA this coming Spring.  I would guess that the previous owner simply hooked up the mechaincal one rather than trying to fix the electrical one.  Thanks RD.

y3chargerrt

PCV valve is incorrect. It should be the 90 degree metal one.

cudaken

Dump the mechanical oil pressure gauge, if you want 2 use a second electric gauge. Nothing like a 160 degree oil bath to wake you up.

Cuda Ken
I am back

RD

Quote from: cudaken on November 29, 2005, 06:55:24 PM
Dump the mechanical oil pressure gauge, if you want 2 use a second electric gauge. Nothing like a 160 degree oil bath to wake you up.

Cuda Ken

pu55y

hehe j/k ken! hehe

Shakey

Quote from: y3chargerrt on November 29, 2005, 05:41:25 PM
PCV valve is incorrect. It should be the 90 degree metal one.

Um, pardon?

Chryco Psycho

you have the plastic PCV valve , the original was a metal body with a 90* bent steel tube on top ... no longer available

Shakey

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 30, 2005, 12:58:15 AM
you have the plastic PCV valve , the original was a metal body with a 90* bent steel tube on top ... no longer available

Does anyone have a photo of one of these?

With this plastic valve, does it work just as good, better or worse than the original 90* metal valve?

Will it affect the amount of moisture in the engine?

Anyone ever found an NOS one?  If so, what was it like price wise?

Should I not bother worrying about it and just move on with life?  I am not building a car to compete with Julius or Roger here.

hemigeno

Quote from: cudaken on November 29, 2005, 06:55:24 PM

Cuda Ken

I agree 100%.  Makes a HUGE mess too.  DAMHIK

Shakey, you can still get the 90 degree PCV valves.  YearOne used to sell them for $21 or so - if you can find them there for that, they're probably available elsewhere for less.  Now the plastic grommet is another thing...  I dunno if that's available or not.

Chryco Psycho

the plastic PCV is fine , your call on how original you want the car to look

Shakey

yep that is a mechanical oil pressure gauge.   I saw the plastic line running from the other side of your electrical oil sending unit on the rear of the engine block.   Makes me wonder why the guy installed the mechanical one?   Maybe your electrical one does not work (gauge or sending unit).   Something to think about.

With regards to the mechanical oil pressure gauge, I am guessing from the posts here (re hot oil bath) that the gauge works on the hollow plastic line attached to it, reading the pressure that is built up inside the line - correct?

If I choose to remove this gauge from the dash, is there anything I need to know prior to unhooking it? 
Will oil come squirting out if the engine is not running?  Will oil leak out if the engine is running?
What about unhooking from the engine?  Where is it inserted in the block? 
I imagine I will have to plug the small hole, what should I use?

Thanks in advance guys for the lesson in mechanical oil pressure gauges!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Shakey on December 01, 2005, 09:47:53 AM

With regards to the mechanical oil pressure gauge, I am guessing from the posts here (re hot oil bath) that the gauge works on the hollow plastic line attached to it, reading the pressure that is built up inside the line - correct?

If I choose to remove this gauge from the dash, is there anything I need to know prior to unhooking it?
Will oil come squirting out if the engine is not running? Will oil leak out if the engine is running?
What about unhooking from the engine? Where is it inserted in the block?
I imagine I will have to plug the small hole, what should I use?

Thanks in advance guys for the lesson in mechanical oil pressure gauges!

You are correct.   You might get a drop of oil when disconnecting it....... DONT DO IT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!!!!     

ya hear??

PS---look at the second pic you posted of the close up of the oil sender.......see the clear plastic tube from the firewall to the engine?  Thats where it hooks up to on the block  (same place where I have my second sending unit for the electric gauge on the left in my pic)

Below is a pic of the PCV .

Bill Allphin sells it still along with many other detail items.
Book mark him!!

http://amhightechauto.com/
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

Chris,

No matter how many times I see your engine compartment it still amazes me.  :drool5:

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi