News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A few troubleshooting questions on a 69 Charger

Started by jeryst, November 26, 2009, 11:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeryst

I need to look into a couple of things on my 69. Before I tear into it, I figured I'd just ask here to see if any of them are common problems that are easily fixed.

1. Instrument lights dont work. None of them. Indicator lights all work. Gauges all work. Interior lights all work. Replaced the fuse, but no difference.

2. Wipers work very slowly. Both speeds work. Just slow, and extremely slow.

3. Drivers side headlight door doesnt close unless I give it a small nudge with my hand. Then it closes. Almost acts like its hanging up on something just a little, as there is just a little bit of resistance, or rough spot, before it starts to close.

4. Clock/tach doesnt work. I hear its a common problem. Tried to set the clock, and the knob and stem came right out.

5. Little bit of misting on the inside of the windshield when I turn on the defroster. Think its a heater core or a hose? How hard is the heater core to change?

Hemidog

1. the most common problem here is a faulty dimmer switch.
2. the wiper motor could be burned out, and/or the linkage might need lubrication.
3. drivers side door should be the door that works fastest (or at least that's the case on my car). I would check if the door hits the headlights or anything else, and then check for vacuum leaks.
4. I would think that tach needs a rebuild.
5. If you need to change out the heater core, then the whole heater box have to come out, which is quite a big job (just done it myself, took out the dash and windshield). I think you can get it out without taking the windshield and dash out, not sure.

jeryst

I didnt think about the dimmer for the dash lights. Could it stop the dash lights from working even though it turns the interior lights on when you rotate it all the way?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: jeryst on November 27, 2009, 02:22:51 PM
I didnt think about the dimmer for the dash lights. Could it stop the dash lights from working even though it turns the interior lights on when you rotate it all the way?

Yes it could - sometimes they are rusty and a little WD40 will fix it.  Check the bulbs as well - you never know.
The heater box will come out without removing anything else except the glove box - If you have a console take that out. Mark all the cables with tape so you remember where they all go. It isn't the easiest job but I have done a few over the years.

twodko

Hey Buddy!

Maxwellwedge told you correctly, the heater box does come out by itself and isn't too difficult. Like all things resto, be patient go slow and take lots of pictures at EVERY step of removal/disassembly. Doing so will make the reassembly go smooth with no guess work. Lastly, buy the heater box resto gasket kit from Detroit Muscle Technology along with their new fresh air plenum gasket - it often tears during removal. Many of us who've resto'd our heater boxes use DMT kits because they are die cut and high quality meaning they fit! Good luck and post up some pix when you're done............we like pictures.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

maxwellwedge

Ditto on your Ditto  ;D
The DMT kits are the best I've used!  :cheers:

jeryst

Hemidog