News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Battery choice

Started by Ghoste, November 28, 2009, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you run for a battery

Whatever fits
1 (6.3%)
The biggest I can
3 (18.8%)
Correct group reproduction
7 (43.8%)
Correct group and Mopar (maintenance free)
2 (12.5%)
New high tech Optima
3 (18.8%)
Correct spec-any brand or style
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Ghoste

Short and sweet, what do you run for a battery and why?

b5blue

BrianShaughnessy

Optima.   No spilled battery acid / no fumes / no rusted battery tray / (mostly) lasts longer  /  cranks longer / faster.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

When you say "no rusted battery tray (mostly)", what do you mean exactly Brian?  That is, do any of the rust issues with it have anything to do with the Optima?

Topher

Right now I have an Exide group 31 post battery in there. I did have to "relax" the battery tray a bit for it to fit, but it works great. It's a 700 cca and has been in the car for 5 or so years now. I have found a truck battery supplier that has group 27s for a VERY good price.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Ghoste

That's a big un Toph.  What made you go to that size?

resq302

Quote from: Ghoste on November 28, 2009, 01:17:33 PM
When you say "no rusted battery tray (mostly)", what do you mean exactly Brian?  That is, do any of the rust issues with it have anything to do with the Optima?

I believe that Brian is referring to the Optima gel cell technology that is maintenance free and will not leak battery acid and cause your battery tray to get rusty and corroded.  There are a couple of companys now that use gel cell technology. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

I have the sealed repro stock looking group 27's in the '68 & '70 for the "period" correct stock look.
I'm going to use the current Mopar off-the-parts-shelf group 27 for the '69. They're made by Interstate, and at least have the Mopar logo.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mauve66

i always wanted to get an Optima and put the hollow stock case over the top of it but the posts aren't spaced the same
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Ghoste

I'd like to do that myself.

Topher

Let's just say it was laying around, and I was in need.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

tan top

think mine is 700 cold cranking amps also  :scratchchin: might be a little bigger !! 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mine......little sucker cranks my 440 over with NO trouble...hot or cold

PS---gutting a lead/acid filled battery isnt for the timid :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

motorcitydak

Optima red top. My last one lasted for 7 years and only went out because a fuse block I had shorted out to a mount screw and killed one of the cells. I bought another one
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Ghoste on November 28, 2009, 01:17:33 PM

Lead acid batteries are the main cause of rusted battery trays and driver side inner fenders.   

I recommend a new tech battery especially if somebody just done with a nice resto...  doesn't have to be an Optima.

Chris' battery mod is really cool for those that require a factory look.   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

That's what I was checking Brian.  The way it was worded made me wonder if you were alluding to the Optima not living up to the claims and that you suspected it was causing rust as well.

mauve66

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on November 28, 2009, 11:28:45 PM

i wasn't going to gut one, i heard once that someone could get just the hollow case BEFORE it was made into a battery
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

resq302

No, the battery companies do not do that.  I wanted to get a case of a group 24 yellow or green capped ones to use as a cover for my toaster in my garage.  So I am still looking for a dead or weak one that still has its guts to remove.  If anyone has a yellow or green capped Mopar battery, I'd be willing to buy it off of you.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on November 28, 2009, 11:28:45 PM

I have the optima Yellow, I think, inside the repro case.  I hope I can do what Chris did in the long run when mine weakens.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.