News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Charger

Mopar John,

That is one beautiful Daytona! Even my wife, who isn't big on wing cars, really liked the way it looked. I have really enjoyed reading your story. Maybe someday I will make it to one of the Mopar meets up north and get to see you and your cars in person.

nascarxx29

Mopar John I heard back from the Shelby club they sent me this on my long long sold ago 67 :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Cc:Registrar <67registrar@saac.com> Bcc:
Sent: Tue, Mar 09, 2010 08:13 AMDownload All |       2653.doc (57KB) Hi David
I'm Nancy Mathews and my husband David is the SAAC 67 Shelby Registrar. Rick Kopec forwarded your email to him for handling.
I've attached a list of the documents we have on file for your former Shelby #2653.  At this time the car is owned by a party in PA.
If you are interested in any of the documents please send a check payable to David Mathews or transfer payment to Paypal account
Thanks for your interest and support.
Sincerely
Nancy Mathews

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Quote from: Black Charger on March 08, 2010, 11:16:04 PM
Mopar John,

That is one beautiful Daytona! Even my wife, who isn't big on wing cars, really liked the way it looked. I have really enjoyed reading your story. Maybe someday I will make it to one of the Mopar meets up north and get to see you and your cars in person.
I am glad you and your wife like the car! It's been a lot of hard work! My next planned show with the Daytona is the Mopar Nationals in Columbus, Ohio in August.
Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 09, 2010, 08:51:44 AM
Mopar John I heard back from the Shelby club they sent me this on my long long sold ago 67 :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Cc:Registrar <67registrar@saac.com> Bcc:
Sent: Tue, Mar 09, 2010 08:13 AMDownload All |       2653.doc (57KB) Hi David
I'm Nancy Mathews and my husband David is the SAAC 67 Shelby Registrar. Rick Kopec forwarded your email to him for handling.
I've attached a list of the documents we have on file for your former Shelby #2653.  At this time the car is owned by a party in PA.
If you are interested in any of the documents please send a check payable to David Mathews or transfer payment to Paypal account
Thanks for your interest and support.
Sincerely
Nancy Mathews

nascarxx29,
That is quite a story to find your car from that far back!

Mopar John

SPRING 2008!
Back to my story! Over the winter of 2007/2008 I kept buying as many NOS parts and ASSEMBLY line NOS parts as I could find! As I mentioned earlier I was focusing on the outside of the car. I found a set of parking light assemblies, antenna assembly, fender pentastar, drivers rear view mirror, trunk emblem, backup light assemblies, Charger roof emblems ( correct left and right! ), door locks, trunk lock and more! I was also back drag racing at ROUTE 66 RACEWAY in Joliet, Illinois! The car was running in the mid 9's with the Chenoweth stroker motor! One meet I noticed another 1970 B Body a Road Runner running very strong. That car had a Chenoweth decal on the back window. The next meet he was back and we were pitted across from each other. I went over and introduced myself. I met Dan Roitters who also had a Chenoweth stroker but was running the big Indy 440-1 heads in comparison to my Indy SR heads. Dan was also running a Jerico 4 speed transmission. Linda was with me along with my daughter Michelle and my granddaughter Ashley. Dan was by himself. Dan asked Michelle if she would video his time trial and then we also got lined up together. Michelle videoed the 2 1970's both running Chenoweth power deep into the 9's!! Dan ran a 9.39 and I ran a 9.61!! I have attached some pictures from that day! If you go to www.youtube.com and put acme383 in the search, a list of Dan's video's will come up! Click on the one that is titled " roadrunner vs. GTX " then click start! I hope you enjoy the run and the sound of 1,000 cubic inches of raw Mopar Power going by!!

472 R/T SE

Sweet...both cars' launch almost perfectly horizontal.  I would guess being down in the 9's mean every thing is working correctly. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3RtLPWx9P8&feature=related

nascarxx29

Some back in the day gems 1st 3rd and 4th my cars

Mopar John

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 09, 2010, 07:40:44 PM
Sweet...both cars' launch almost perfectly horizontal.  I would guess being down in the 9's mean every thing is working correctly.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3RtLPWx9P8&feature=related
We'll almost everything is working perfectly? If you notice the back wheels no longer match the fronts! Over the winter I saved up and bought a new Dana 60 rearend from Moser. That new 500 cubic inch stroker was eating up 8 3/4 rears like bubblegum!! In fact after we put the new motor in and let the transbrake go on the first full hard pass the car only moved about a foot!@#$%^&*(! It ate the teeth out of the ring gear! So I go to the Dana and have some chassis work done along with mini tubbing the back wheelhouses to the frame rails. The chassis shop calls and said your car is done but your back wheels don't fit!@#$%^&*()! WHAT????!!!!! I am out of money and my wheels don't fit? To offset the weight of the new Dana I went to Wilwood rear disc brakes and my wheels didn't clear the calipers! I borrowed the wheels that were on the back of the car for the first part of the season till I could buy new matching wheels to clear the calipers! Once that was resolved all was working well!

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 09, 2010, 09:30:24 PM
Some back in the day gems 1st 3rd and 4th my cars

Neat pictures of back in the day!! Is the Daytona the one that you still own today?

Mopar John

2008 CONTINUED!
I'm still waiting for "THE CALL" to bring the Daytona in for restoration! Meanwhile I'm fixing little things and doing more cleanup. I read about a 1969 Dodge Coronet 4 door that's for sale. The owner has it listed as a classic and is asking $800.00. I go and take a look and it's real rusty, hit in the rear and doesn't run! To me it's just a parts car! The guy tells me that a lot of people are interested in the car. I'm thinking that's until they get here and look at it. I tell him that it's just a parts car to me and I would give him $300.00 and remove it myself. I get a call a couple of weeks later to come and get the car! I take Linda with for the ride. All goes well and I get the car loaded and make a sharp turn out of his driveway and there is smoke coming from back there? I pull over and go back and look and my trailer axle had rusted and broke!@#$%^&*()! The top of the tire was rubbing the inside of the fender! Linda says what are you going to do now? I told her that I was going to jack up the trailer and break the wheel off! She gave me one of those I can't believe this looks! I broke the wheel off and repositioned the car and limped it home on 3 wheels!@#$%^&*()! I got her home and left it parked for quite a while. Then one day I'm out looking under the hood and I look at the fender tag and realize that it was built on the same day as the R4 Daytona! WOW!
Now I start to look at it a lot closer! About this time I was researching from the broadcast sheet what wheels and tires belonged on the B5 Daytona. I found out it was built with 14" steel wheels, F70 X 14 white striped tires and a W11 hubcap option? As it turns out that $300.00 parts car had a set of 5 date coded steel wheels and real nice left and right lug nuts!! Then I had someone from Moparts send me a picture of what my W11 hubcaps should look like. Wouldn't you know it, I had a set of used ones in the basement! The next chance I got I switched all the wheels, tires and hubcaps and now the Daytona looked the way it had been built! I also got some other important parts off that car! I waited till the B5 Daytona was restored and finished parting it out!

Mopar John

Here is a couple of pictures of the 1969 Coronet 4 door being parted!

Mopar John

2008 NATIONAL MEET
 For 2008 the AERO WARRIOR national meet was held in the St. Louis area. It was hosted by Rich Bolzenis, Sherri Evans and Gene Lewis. The first day of the meet there were only a handfull of wing cars but by the weekend there was a great turnout! The hosts had a very busy schedule for us and on Wednesday we visited Gateway Classic Mustang which was great for Linda and the Ford owners present. Next we went to Meramec Caverns for a tour followed by lunch at Friscos in Cuba, Missouri. In the afternoon we went to Bob's Gasoline alley that had a huge display of gas station memorablia, gas pumps and die cast cars! He had several special rooms including one done up as an old diner. I will attach some pictures from this first day!

Mopar John

Here's a few more from that first day! The Croxfords and us stopped by a shop that had the worlds biggest rocking chair! We got some pictures and checked out the shop! The girls also got on the wings for a picture!

Mopar John

2008 AERO MEET CONTINUED!
On Thursday we went to the St. Louis museum of transportation! If your into railroad rolling stock this is the place for you! We had a couple more cars show up! We went to Ted Drews for lunch famous for custard in that area. Linda and I wondered off to LIONS CHOICE for some roast beef sandwiches before our custard. This place was highly reccomended by moparstuart. We really liked it and have been back there a couple of times on our way to Arizona and back! After the custard we went to the ROUTE 66 STATE PARK MUSEUM! A real nice display and we also had some one tell about the history of the area. That evening we gathered at Rich and Judy Bolzenius for a cookout and conversation. Attached are some pictures from that day!

Mopar John

MORE 2008 MEET!
 On Friday Linda and I made our way to the Gateway Track to set up our swap space. Then on Saturday and Sunday we had our Superbird on display with the club and were busy in our swap space! Thanks to pettybird we were able to make it on the tail end of the track AERO laps! Thanks! Doug The meet had something for everyone and was well planned!

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on March 11, 2010, 04:32:42 PM
                                                 2008 NATIONAL MEET
 For 2008 the AERO CAR national meet was held in the St. Louis area. It was hosted by Rich Bolzenis, Sherri Evans and Gene Lewis. The first day of the meet there were only a handfull of wing cars but by the weekend there was a great turnout! The hosts had a very busy schedule for us and on Wednesday we visited Gateway Classic Mustang which was great for Linda and the Ford owners present. Next we went to Meramec Caverns for a tour followed by lunch at Friscos in Cuba, Missouri. In the afternoon we went to Bob's Gasoline alley that had a huge display of gas station memorablia, gas pumps and die cast cars! He had several special rooms including one done up as an old diner. I will attach some pictures from this first day!
The long hair kid in the red shirt with his back to you ( next to brent evans ) in the marshall motors salina shirt is my son quintin .  I had forgotten about eating lunch at Lions choice( best roast beef and auju sandwiches)  before ted drews custard.      Tons more picture  I took here                      
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49212.0.html
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

moparstuart,
It was great to meet you and your boys at the 2008 AERO MEET! I also love the color of your Birdable! The meet was small enough the first few days to spend time with friends I hadn't seen in a while!

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on March 12, 2010, 10:05:21 AM
moparstuart,
It was great to meet you and your boys at the 2008 AERO MEET! I also love the color of your Birdable! The meet was small enough the first few days to spend time with friends I hadn't seen in a while!
I just wish my car would have been running and not on the back of waynes roll back .  It is always great seeing old friends and meeting new ones like you and linda at wing meets .   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

THE CALL!
Just after the 2008 AERO MEET I get a call from Troy Angelly! He tells me he has some good news and some bad news? I always like to get the bad news over with first! He informed me that his partner Paul Jacobs had gotten a promotion at work and had to scale back the number of cars he was restoring! I thought to myself that I'm in trouble now for 2009 TALLADEGA! Then Troy informs me that because of that he was going to do some total restorations to keep his shop going and his guys busy! He then told me that he would like to help me out and finish my Daytona in time for TALLADEGA!! !@#$%^&*()! WOW!! I am happy now!! He also said that he had talked with Paul and he would consult on the restoration when needed and help finding parts! So I tell him that I would like to move forward! The call was advance of the opening in the shop. We discussed our schedules and agreed on a date to drop the Daytona and parts off at his shop. So on November 15th 2008 Linda and I took the B5 Daytona and all the parts down to Troy Angelly Restorations! This would give Troy just a liitle more than 11 months to totally restore our Daytona in time for 2009 TALLADEGA! I have attached a few pictures of the front of the Daytona the day we dropped it off at his shop. The drivers side of the nose had been flattened by a junkyard payloader and the front fenders were very rusty. Because of the poor prep at Creative they rusted from the inside out! The replacement original Daytona hood is already on the car! ENJOY!

Mopar John

Here are some pictures from the back of our Daytona also on the day we dropped it off! Both quarters had rust way down low from sitting on the ground in the salvage yard! The taillight panel is all bent up from when it was pried open at the salvage yard to steal the wing! The replacment original wing and trunklid are already on the car! Like I said earlier I took him a complete car! But it was in really rough shape!

tan top

:coolgleamA: good pictures :drool5: & story ! wonder what Daytona  the deck lid came off  :scratchchin: looks Y4 :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Quote from: tan top on March 12, 2010, 01:53:28 PM
:coolgleamA: good pictures :drool5: & story ! wonder what Daytona  the deck lid came off  :scratchchin: looks Y4 :scratchchin: :popcrn:
I bought the decklid, wing and hood from Monroe Schellinger many years ago! The decklid and wing came from the same car. According to Monroe both Daytonas were parted out!

Mopar John

NOS ASSEMBLY LINE OIL FILTER!
Yesterday I was off and made a road trip to visit another Mopar enthusiast! He had possesion of the NOS assembly line oil filter that I bought from Paul Jacobs for my Daytona. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive each way and I spent more time there than I planned. We discussed NOS parts that we had purchased and all the poor reproductions that we had come across! Many other items on restoration were discussed also. All I have pictured is the filter. Soon I will post more about the Daytona restoration!

nascarxx29

Thanks for the info those goldline filters I found a few but never bought one $$$ .This filter was on my original daytona

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 14, 2010, 10:24:19 AM
Thanks for the info those goldline filters I found a few but never bought one $$$ .This filter was on my original daytona

To clarify, are you saying the filter pictured was the one that your original Daytona was built with?
            Can anyone else add to original filters found on Daytonas?

69_500

John I'm under the impression that the one you listed in your photo would be the correct one if your going after an assembly line appearance to the car. The one in Daves photo I'm pretty sure is just a Mopar replacement filter.