News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Broken 383 to rebuilt 440 weaker?

Started by METROID, December 21, 2009, 07:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpigs

Go with the pistons Ron sugested and look for some used Edelbrock heads.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

METROID

Quote from: greenpigs on February 07, 2010, 09:01:40 AM
Go with the pistons Ron suggested and look for some used Edelbrock heads.

I decided it would just be easier to buy a shorty (built close to 68 stock specs.) and save up for Edelbrock Heads. I'm currently in the middle of buying a short block from a member on the site who has built it the same way I would have built a 440 ;D.

I put the old block up on craigslist and I got three potential buyers one of which is eager to give me my asking price and take the motor. I'm an honest guy and told the guy who is itching to buy it about all the issues with the block and that the pistons are sunk and he still wants it :icon_smile_shock:. He claims he has a bunch of other 440's he is building up and seems to know his stuff, I hope he follows through with the buy and at my asking price. If I get enough out of the old block I can ship my new one sooner :yesnod:.

I will keep you guys posted on whats happening. I will probably get my new block at the end of this month and hopfully have enough money to get the converter, heads, intake, and other loose ends by the end of March.

:cheers:

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: METROID on February 07, 2010, 05:03:28 PM
Quote from: greenpigs on February 07, 2010, 09:01:40 AM
Go with the pistons Ron suggested and look for some used Edelbrock heads.

I decided it would just be easier to buy a shorty (built close to 68 stock specs.) and save up for Edelbrock Heads. I'm currently in the middle of buying a short block from a member on the site who has built it the same way I would have built a 440 ;D.

I put the old block up on craigslist and I got three potential buyers one of which is eager to give me my asking price and take the motor. I'm an honest guy and told the guy who is itching to buy it about all the issues with the block and that the pistons are sunk and he still wants it :icon_smile_shock:. He claims he has a bunch of other 440's he is building up and seems to know his stuff, I hope he follows through with the buy and at my asking price. If I get enough out of the old block I can ship my new one sooner :yesnod:.

I will keep you guys posted on whats happening. I will probably get my new block at the end of this month and hopfully have enough money to get the converter, heads, intake, and other loose ends by the end of March.

:cheers:

Best of luck with everything and good way to solve your problems and just double check what you are buying is as advertised and built right, etc., etc.  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

METROID

Well, I got burned :flame: on selling my block. I held it for the damn guy for 3 weeks and he never even showed up. All my other potential buyers have moved on. I deleted the old AD and made a new one but have not got any takers.

I am buying my new rebuilt short block from Troy. I figure out of all people he won't burn me :icon_smile_big:. Anyway, I am brain storming what I will need for my new setup. Ron helped me pick out a good converter and flex plate and I think I am going to go with Stealth Heads. Wondering what you guys would suggest as far as rocker arms go. I've got a torker intake manifold to throw on when the time comes but I need valve covers I was thinking of these:

If you guys can think of any parts suggestions for my block let me know. I'm budget minded at the moment but want parts that will last. I have also considered getting the 10 degree retainers for the stealth heads to avoid headaches others have had :brickwall:. The block is coming with Engle Cam, lifters and timing chain (If I recall correctly) :scratchchin:.

firefighter3931

Definately do the 10* retainer/valvelock upgrade....absolutely necessary, inmo !  :yesnod:

Have the heads inspected and make sure the valveguides are checked for proper clearances...you don't want a valve sticking open and kissing a piston.  :P

Rocker arm package : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mrepacspecbr.html

pushrods : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/hy440chmo.html

torque converter : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/11converter727.html

flexplate : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopsixbolsfi.html

flexplate hardware : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopsixbolcra.html

The Torker is an excellent match for the rest of your combo.... use it   :2thumbs:

Valvecovers are subjective....whatever you like and will seal up will be fine. Personally, i like the polished version of the MP cast aluminum covers but the black crinckle you posted will do the same job.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

greenpigs

Is this the 67 440 Troy was selling?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

METROID

No it is a 73 block with TRW's. The block is zero decked and is a shorty. I also made a final decision to buy the RPM heads instead of the Stealth because I got a good deal on them. I still have a heck of a lot to gather before I have this motor put together including everything Ron posted and more.  :'( Things are getting more and more expensive I think I won't have it all together until the end of May (at least that's my new projected dead line).

METROID

:cheers: A big thank you to our fearless leader Troy for selling me the bottom end and heads for my 440 build! :2thumbs:

I have everything for the new build at this point except for gaskets and bolts. I needed more advice from you gurus,I am trying to figure out where I can find the last few bolts for accessories.

I need bolts for; oil pump, starter, fuel pump, alternator, water pump, water pump housing, and manifold.
My mechanic accidentally sold my old block complete instead of as a shorty. :shruggy: I have no clue what size bolts or where to purchase them so any suggestions would be helpful.

Also I order a new valley pan from 440 source and gaskets. On my last two blocks I had some sort of sealent and no gasket between the valley pan gasket and the block. My mechanic was advising me not to use any silicone or gaskets between the valley pan and block. Does anybody want to weigh in and suggest the best way to go with the valley pan?

greenpigs

I use a thin layer on the ends and have never used gaskets for the intake, never had any leaks.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

METROID

Quote from: greenpigs on June 16, 2010, 10:15:21 PM
I use a thin layer on the ends and have never used gaskets for the intake, never had any leaks.

Exactly, my mechanic said he never used any gaskets either becuase he said it was more prone to leaks. Is it best to use standard silicone with proper heat rating or is there somthing better to use for the valley pan?

greenpigs

I use a high temp one also and remember to use a valley pan with the blocked heat riser as thats worth 10 hp or so. It will take longer to warm up but your not building a daily driver either I would guess.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free