News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Metal questions....

Started by sanders7981, December 17, 2009, 10:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

Ok, so i just dropped about $2600 in new metal from a local dealer for AMD.  I ordered new front quarters, floor pans, trunk pans, trunk brace set, trunk extensions, inner fender, and a rear deck valance.  My question for seom fo you gurus is about the rear deck valance.  It is the piece between the rear window and rear deck/trunk.  Not sure if I am using the corrcet terminology... anyhow, there is some rust holes where the rear window would sit in the grooves of the rear deck valance on my Charger.  Does the new piece come with the rear window groove? 

I have the same problem with the front cowl that sits in front of the windshield, but there is less rust holes there than what is in the back.  Thankfully, it all has already been media blasted, epoxy primer coated, and poly-urethane primer coated.  There is just some small pin hole areas around the bottom of the grooves where the windshiled and rear glass sits.  I read that you can use lead to repair those spots, but I just wanted to make sure that there were no other parts I needed to order.  The lead route may be the more cost effective route in restoring those spots.  Opinions...?

Cooter

I believe you are refering to what's called the "Dutchman" panel..Directly behind the Rear glass and YES, the ones i've seen come with the rear lower channel on it.....I WOULD NOT repair ANYTHING with lead as the paints/Primers today just don't like to stick to it very well....

Cut out the rust, or weld up the holes and use fiberglass to block sand and fill...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

green69rt

My understanding is that the dutchman panel (I think I've heard it called this) includes the lower rear window channel. Calll AMD and ask, they're pretty helpful. If you're replacing the dutchman panel then how good shape is the brace structure underneath of it?  I think I saw that AMD offers that part.

As for the front window frame, if the holes are small, then if it was me, I'd try to patch them or just fill them with some weld bead.  The front window frame and cowl are a complicated piece.  Lots of things weave into these parts so replacing them is a big,big job.  I don't think I would try to patch them with body putty either, if putty doesn't work you have a lot of work to fix the mistake.  I personally would not work with lead, just too may problems.  

Remember that Dodge used lead on the rockers to blend the rocker into the rear quarter.  This was a prime place for corrosion to set in because of the different type of metals.  I know some folks still like to use the lead option because of authenticity but in this case I would just use a little weld bead and grind it to shape.

Just one opinion.

METROID

I really wish I had saved more photos from the work I had done in September. I ordered my metal through the paddock it had the metal groves for the window.

Pictures would also be helpful if you have a camera laying around. Good luck on the project  :cheers:.

MoparManJim

No the rear valance panel is under the rear bumper. Just like the front valance panel is under the front bumper. The panel between the rear window and deck lid is called the dutchman panel. So if you orders the valance panel thing it was the same panel between the rear window and deck lid, you will need to order the Dutchman panel then if you need that part. 

Quote from: sanders7981 on December 17, 2009, 10:45:18 PM
Ok, so i just dropped about $2600 in new metal from a local dealer for AMD.  I ordered new front quarters, floor pans, trunk pans, trunk brace set, trunk extensions, inner fender, and a rear deck valance.  My question for seom fo you gurus is about the rear deck valance.  It is the piece between the rear window and rear deck/trunk.  Not sure if I am using the corrcet terminology... anyhow, there is some rust holes where the rear window would sit in the grooves of the rear deck valance on my Charger.  Does the new piece come with the rear window groove? 

I have the same problem with the front cowl that sits in front of the windshield, but there is less rust holes there than what is in the back.  Thankfully, it all has already been media blasted, epoxy primer coated, and poly-urethane primer coated.  There is just some small pin hole areas around the bottom of the grooves where the windshiled and rear glass sits.  I read that you can use lead to repair those spots, but I just wanted to make sure that there were no other parts I needed to order.  The lead route may be the more cost effective route in restoring those spots.  Opinions...?

sanders7981

Thanks for the info guys.  I did look on AMD's site to picture refference the parts I ordered.  Hopefully the guy I ordered them through got it right...  What is weld bead and where do I get it?  I am pretty sur ethat I can get away with just patching up the seal, vice trying to repair the whole deal.  Some one at work mentioned that I should use"Tiger-Hair", a type of fiberglass, to fill the holes.

GreenMachine

Yes, it has the full lower window channel. Here is a better pic of it than what is on the AMD website.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

sanders7981

Quote from: GreenMachine on December 18, 2009, 05:24:19 PM
   Yes, it has the full lower window channel. Here is a better pic of it than what is on the AMD website.

Thanks for the pic bro!  I can t even begin to explain how excited I am to get started on this project!!! 

green69rt

Quote from: sanders7981 on December 18, 2009, 02:11:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys.  I did look on AMD's site to picture refference the parts I ordered.  Hopefully the guy I ordered them through got it right...  What is weld bead and where do I get it?  I am pretty sur ethat I can get away with just patching up the seal, vice trying to repair the whole deal.  Some one at work mentioned that I should use"Tiger-Hair", a type of fiberglass, to fill the holes.

Oh, oh, now I think that you need some help in the welding dept.  Weld bead is the weld metal that you lay down as you weld, not the original underlying material.  It can be used for all sorts of things.  You are getting into a big welding job here so you need to consult with someone with some experience.  Believe it when I say that I learned thru a local high school teacher.  Then practice, practice, practice.  Enough said.

sanders7981

Quote from: green69rt on December 18, 2009, 11:56:32 PM
Quote from: sanders7981 on December 18, 2009, 02:11:30 PM

Oh, oh, now I think that you need some help in the welding dept.  Weld bead is the weld metal that you lay down as you weld, not the original underlying material.  It can be used for all sorts of things.  You are getting into a big welding job here so you need to consult with someone with some experience.  Believe it when I say that I learned thru a local high school teacher.  Then practice, practice, practice.  Enough said.

Yea I know two things about welding...jack and s#it lol!  My uncles are professional welders though.   i am going to get all my tips from them, and the base hobby shop has welders on staff to assist and advise as needed.

green69rt

Sounds like you have some good resources to help you out.  Post some pictures and comments on your progress, others that use this site (including me) are always interested in other projects and pick up hints on how to do their projects.

sanders7981

Quote from: green69rt on December 19, 2009, 10:49:47 AM
Sounds like you have some good resources to help you out.  Post some pictures and comments on your progress, others that use this site (including me) are always interested in other projects and pick up hints on how to do their projects.

Will do.  I will sart another thread with my build progress once I get started.

charger2fast4u

does this panel come with holes to mount the chrome window trim? or do you have to make your own holes or weld the clips on?

GreenMachine

Quote from: charger2fast4u on December 19, 2009, 05:15:25 PM

does this panel come with holes to mount the chrome window trim? or do you have to make your own holes or weld the clips on?

You have to make your own holes.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.