News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is the reason the SUPERBIRD wasnt optioned in black ?

Started by rav440, December 15, 2009, 09:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

didnt the DAYTONA come in black ? so why no black SUPEBIRDs ?
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

hemi68charger

Not totally sure, but since they were mass-produced QUICKLY and the fact that the interiors were only offered in black or white and all came with black vinyl tops, only certain colors would do. That's my deductive reasoning........ Geno, Danny or someone with a lot more knowledge with this will probably have some input.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

With the styling people having a bigger say in the Superbird than the Daytona perhaps it is as simple as them wanting a visually bold car to appear mainly in what the stylists thought were the more exciting choices??

hemigeno

Daytonas were indeed available in any color a Charger could be ordered.  Since Creative Industries did their own paintwork on the car, all they would need is to have the correct paint on-hand.

Superbirds, on the other hand, were assembled at Clairepoint with major components already pre-finished by Creative Industries and/or other vendors.  So, the nosecones arrived from the vendors pre-painted.  I guess one reason they limited the number of available colors could have been to reduce the variations of nosecones they had to order from the outside vendors.  Why they didn't choose black, I don't know.  For the most part they chose bright colors, so maybe that played a role? :shruggy:

Yet another sidenote here... On the three known FK5 Root Beer (supposedly an unavailable color) cars, I wonder if the original nosecones were shipped to Clairepoint painted another color, and were then re-painted by Chrysler?   :scratchchin:

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on December 15, 2009, 09:50:09 AM
Daytonas were indeed available in any color a Charger could be ordered.  Since Creative Industries did their own paintwork on the car, all they would need is to have the correct paint on-hand.

Superbirds, on the other hand, were assembled at Clairepoint with major components already pre-finished by Creative Industries and/or other vendors.  So, the nosecones arrived from the vendors pre-painted.  I guess one reason they limited the number of available colors could have been to reduce the variations of nosecones they had to order from the outside vendors.  Why they didn't choose black, I don't know.  For the most part they chose bright colors, so maybe that played a role? :shruggy:

Yet another sidenote here... On the three known FK5 Root Beer (supposedly an unavailable color) cars, I wonder if the original nosecones were shipped to Clairepoint painted another color, and were then re-painted by Chrysler?   :scratchchin:

nose decals are all black too , so painting a nose black would make them have another decal color  ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

I've always wondered why no black on the birds myself. There have been diecasts of black birds for as long as I can remember so up until a few years ago, I assumed that there were factory black birds.
I wonder how many real birds there are out there now that have been painted black. I know of one. Drove it this morning.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nascarxx29

I recall the black superbird with flames orig lime green car from Minnesota Dennis L.It had across the the trunk you just been given the bird
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

AFAIK marketing had a LOT bigger hand in the 'birds than the Daytona, and that's why the graphics are so much louder.  The colors were probably picked based on "saleability."

hotrod98

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 15, 2009, 03:04:21 PM
I recall the black superbird with flames orig lime green car from Minnesota Dennis L.It had across the the trunk you just been given the bird

Was it this one?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Tom Q

A well known old mopar expert told me that  some where in middle michigan is a black bird allegedly painted that way from ma mopar as it is owned by a retired chrysler exce. I will have to follow up on the story, so stay tuned. 

nascarxx29

Bad bird was that car I recall in the magazine :2thumbs:   Fred Mc Nally of Mc Nally motors in MI had a superbird painted black a 6 pack car RM23VOA179726
http://www.tntclassiccars.com/1970%20PLYMOUTH%20ROADRUNNER%20SUPERBIRD.htm

nakita7

I did see a pic of a clone that was done in black. It was fairly correct too. Anyone know about that one?

Hemi_tyme

rav440

thanks for the replys  :cheers:

i think a tripple black bird would have been cool .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

hemigeno

Quote from: Tom Q on December 15, 2009, 07:18:27 PM
A well known old mopar expert told me that  some where in middle michigan is a black bird allegedly painted that way from ma mopar as it is owned by a retired chrysler exce. I will have to follow up on the story, so stay tuned. 

:popcrn:

nascarxx29

Quote from: hemigeno on December 16, 2009, 09:04:21 AM

Wonder if Fred Mc Nally changed over his superbird from orange to black when it was new

http://www.tntclassiccars.com/100_1198.jpg

Aero426

I would have to look,  but I am not sure if McNally actually bought his car new.    You cannot trust those repro window stickers.   When I first saw the car in 1978, the black paint looked nice and fresh.  

McNally was from Michigan, but his car was certainly not delivered in black from the factory.   I have never heard of any Superbird, exec or otherwise done in black.

pettybird

it also wouldn't be the only 'bird with "executive orders"

maxwellwedge

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 16, 2009, 11:22:19 AM
Quote from: hemigeno on December 16, 2009, 09:04:21 AM

Wonder if Fred Mc Nally changed over his superbird from orange to black when it was new

http://www.tntclassiccars.com/100_1198.jpg

Yes - It was changed to black - he didn't buy it new.

gtx6970

"nose decals are all black too , so painting a nose black would make them have another decal color  ?"

not entrirely true , AAR and T/A/s still retained the black decals with black exterior paint

MY guess would be limited choices for stock inventory and high visual impact to help promote sales as Nascar required a lot more cars to sell than when Daytonas first appeared

BROCK

As much as I love black cars, I wouldn't have chosen it either - at least
not with the rush they were in to get them all built before January. 
Black shows imperfections all too well :brickwall:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world