News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is F/R level?

Started by ricksgarage, January 02, 2010, 02:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricksgarage

When leveling a car front to rear, where do you set the level?  The rocker panel?  The floorpan?  The framerails?  The K-member?

For example:  Say you install  aftermarket leaf springs that change the rear ride-height (like Hotchkis).  You then have to place a level somewhere so you can adjust the front ride-height.  Where do you place the level?  What part of a B-Body should be level with properly adjusted ride-height?  If leveling is not the answer, then how do you know what to adjust the front to?

If it matters my concern is for handling not strip, although both answers appreciated.  Thanks.
RM

elacruze

The appropriate term for what you're asking about is "Trim Height".
Remember that more important than the height or rake of your car, is the effect that changes make on steering and alignment angles, and roll/bump steer.
After any significant changes to height on either end, recheck the specs. Raising the rear will reduce caster. Raising the front will affect caster less, but will affect camber during bump/body roll more.
I spend some time on http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/ , I've learned plenty there about street car handling in the real world.
I measure mine to the frame points front and rear, will check rake angle on the frame connectors when the thing gets back on wheels.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

HPP

Your rocker panel would be a good place since it is ideally pretty flat would run parallel to the ground if your car is level. If you use this as a reference point, be sure to check the level of the ground on the spot you have the car sitting so you can duplicate it.

However, if you've read the mopar chassis book at all, you will also know that mother recommended a 2-3 degree nose down rake to aid with aero, speed, and down force.

ricksgarage

Thanks for the references.  Mancini has the chassis book for $10; just purchased one.
RM

ricksgarage

Mancini Racing has the best prices on Mopar goods, but watch their shipping charges.  The shipping charge was more than the book cost!
RM

b5blue

You can get a cheap magnetic welders level at Harbor Freight and use it to check pinion angle also. (the kind with the round dial on it)  :2thumbs: