News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dark Argent paints...

Started by git, January 06, 2010, 06:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

git

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. :) I really enjoy looking at the projects on here, especially the highly detailed resto's.

I'm trying to track down some textured Dark Argent paint. I've done some research and it sounds like the only options are to buy from TotallyAuto, to get Krylon Fusion, or to send the parts to a restorer like AllTrim to paint on the argent.

The catch is I'm in Australia! (it's going on an Aussie Charger) Apparently TotallyAuto don't ship overseas and they haven't returned my emails. Sending my parts to the states to be restored isn't viable. So my only option is buying spraycans, although getting them here is a problem due to their explosive nature. Krylon is very rare in Australia so I will likely need to get them sent here via seamail or use a freight company.

To confirm, is there NO formula available to mix textured dark argent up as 2 pack paint? Do concourse/show cars usually use 2 pack or rattle can paint?

What is the best quality textured Dark Argent aerosol available? I don't care if it's not quite the right shade, just as long as it doesn't flake off in 6 months (or the next 20 years if possible.....). Is Krylon's good quality, long lasting and pretty close to original?

It will be going on a fastidiously restored show-car (I won't say concourse as it's too modified!), so it must be excellent quality and durable. 99% of the car/parts is in 2 pack so it's gotta be good. Again, I'm not concerned if it's not quite the right shade, just as long as it's a Dark-"ish" Argent. :P

So, assuming Krylon are the best and no 2 pack formula is available.... The only Krylon product I could find that matches is Krylon Fusion for Plastic Textured Shimmer (product code #2522, Silver Textured). Is this the correct paint or is it maybe Graphite (#2521)?

Thanks all!

Byron

71ChallengeHer

Try this place. I don't know if that will ship overseas ? But they make the argent paint for other companies. And you can get spray bombs. BAPS. 1-800-862-2277 or 1-717-767-6544

twodko

Good day Byron,

Check out Eastwood auto products on the net. They have a couple different argent silver offerings. Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Rallye

Welcome Byron,

I used the Krylon Fusion (Graphite #2521) you mentioned on the grills of my 72.  I went with the graphite, as it is the closest thing to dark argent available to me locally.  And I have to say it turned out very well, as you can see in the pic below.  At least I'm pleased with the way it looks.  As far as durability, I can't say for sure.  It's only been on the car for about six months now and mostly for just short runs around town, only had it on the open highway for longer periods a couple times.  But so far so good, hasn't cracked, chipped, or peeled.  Anyway, when you get this fastidiously restored Aussie Charger ready, be sure to post some pics.

1972 Charger Rallye - 400magnum

git

Hi all, thanks for the replies!

ChallengeHer - I'll call them. Cheers!

Thanks Tom - I contacted Eastwood but unfortunately they only sell light argent. :(

Rallye thank you for the info + pic! Awesome ride too! And yep I'll definately post some pictures once my Charger is all back in one piece (it's a factory Plum Crazy car too, rare for an Aussie Mopar).

I will persist in trying to get the Krylon paint somehow as it seems like the best stuff to use...hopefully I'll find a supplier who will ship seamail.

However if I can't, I CAN get Rustoleum and VHT products here. I found a product by Rustoleum called 'Multicolored Textured', colour 'Aged Iron', part # 223525. In pictures this looks almost the same as Dark Argent...has anyone used this or any other Rustoleum (or VHT products) to replicate Dark Argent?

BTW how 'textured' is argent supposed to be, is it comparable to like 100/200 grit sandpaper? Or is it a lot smoother grain finish?

Cheers

Byron

CDN72SE

I bought Eastwood's Charcoal Rally Wheel paint and I was pretty happy with the results, painted some rallye wheel center caps. Here's a link for some pics. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/401809/2
1972 Charger SE