News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Total What?

Started by Ghoste, January 08, 2010, 12:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

After the 1964 sweep at the Daytona 500 there were buttons made up by Chrysler that were worn for a short time by some of the Moapr factory teams that read "Total What" as a mocking reference to Ford's "Total Performance" advertising campaign.  Has anyone ever seen one of these buttons or did any even survive?

Aero426

Here you go...

Ghoste

Thanks Doug.  I live in an extremely Ford-centric town so I have to tell you that would make a great t-shirt slogan for me, maybe with a photo of the finish on it.  :D

Aero426

For the record, I am a closet Ford guy.   :hah:

Ghoste

That's okay, my father is a way out of the closet Ford guy and I've always been a big embarrassment to him.
If you're into Fords, it may interest you to know that I live in the same town as Barrie Poole and John Elliot (if indeed those names mean anything to a NASCAR fan?).  Maybe not as renowned as  Hubert Platt or Bob Tasca but they did get their 15 minutes and in a small town of less than 50,000 it's little wonder that Fords were the cars to own around here in the 60's.  There are a lot of Cobra Jet cars around here, a handful of SOHC engines and more than a couple of Boss ones too (mostly 2's but at least one9).  I am the odd man out for sure.

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on January 08, 2010, 04:49:09 PM
For the record, I am a closet Ford guy.   :hah:
your not in the closet about it   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Come to think of it, with my Cyclone and Mustang going away I am "Fordless" for the first time in 29 years.

bull

At Ford Quantity is Job One

Aero426

Here is something that probably has not been seen before.   This drawing was found in the Ford Racing Archives.   It was probably created and sent by someone at Chrysler and circulated around.   It wound up on the desk of Charlie Gray who was the man in charge of the stock car operations at Ford.   Charlie fortunately had his office materials sent to the Ford archives.   

Ghoste

Clever.  I have to think there were a few good jabs thrown the other way too.

Aero426

Charlie Gray of Ford Racing had something to do with this decal being created.   Legend has it a LARGE quantity of them were pasted on a Chrysler executive's car.  I am guessing it was Ronney Householder's car or someone pretty high up.   Well that had gone a little beyond what had been intended, and so Charlie told Bill Holbrook who was one of the Ford corporate guys to "take those stickers and destroy them".   Which he indeed did do - well, almost all of them, LOL.  

Ghoste

I've heard the story about those stickers before but that's the first I've ever seen one.  Thanks.