News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Now a wing car owner

Started by 41husk, January 14, 2010, 12:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

When are you going to get the black hauler?

41husk

It is in my friends barn in Dupo IL.  We had spring break last week I left Illinois Friday the 3/26.  We went to my sisster in laws in Prospect Ky and spent the night.  We left Saturday Morning for Portsmouth VA. to visit my brother for a couple of days.  Headed for Charlotte Monday morning and loaded the mini van on the hauler and headed back for home.  Spent the night outside of Johnson City TN, and got home Tuesday afternoon.  I had wrestling practice at the high school Wednesday night and left at 6am Thursday to pick up the Daytona.  We arived at my cousins house in Oklahoma Thursday night.  We spent two nights with him but drove the 1/2 hour to Arkansas to see the Daytona every day. (Larry would probably have been done faster if we had not kept dropping by to see it) :icon_smile_big: Saturday morning we picked the car up at Larry's and headed home. 10 states in a week Illinois,Indiana,Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.  I am glad to back at work so I can rest :shruggy:  We decided to use the pick up and trailor to get the Daytona and saved about $200 in gas.  I plan on taking the hauler to Branson in June. 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on April 06, 2010, 01:43:09 PM
It is in my friends barn in Dupo IL.  We had spring break last week I left Illinois Friday the 3/26.  We went to my sisster in laws in Prospect Ky and spent the night.  We left Saturday Morning for Portsmouth VA. to visit my brother for a couple of days.  Headed for Charlotte Monday morning and loaded the mini van on the hauler and headed back for home.  Spent the night outside of Johnson City TN, and got home Tuesday afternoon.  I had wrestling practice at the high school Wednesday night and left at 6am Thursday to pick up the Daytona.  We arived at my cousins house in Oklahoma Thursday night.  We spent two nights with him but drove the 1/2 hour to Arkansas to see the Daytona every day. (Larry would probably have been done faster if we had not kept dropping by to see it) :icon_smile_big: Saturday morning we picked the car up at Larry's and headed home. 10 states in a week Illinois,Indiana,Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.  I am glad to back at work so I can rest :shruggy:  We decided to use the pick up and trailor to get the Daytona and saved about $200 in gas.  I plan on taking the hauler to Branson in June. 
how did the hauler(beast) drive bringin it home ???  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:   your living the dream allen  :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

It really ran great.  I have a few issues the speedometer and odometer do not work. Luckily I have a GPS that I used as a speedometer, but I doubt the original miles advertised of 52,000 is correct :slap: There were a couple scary times in the mountains going up hill, my speed dropped below 45 mph and I was wondering when I was going to start rolling down hill :shruggy: The Mechanicall fuel pump went out just outside of Illinois.  Fortunately it is equipped with an electric pump on both tanks.  I used over $300 in gas getting it home, and it is much bigger than I thought.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Aero426

Did you get some pictures of Neil with the hauler?

41husk

Yes I did but I have not yet had them developed.  My wife took a couple with he and I standing in front of the truck.  He was an amazingly nice guy.  I hope to meet up with him again some time.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Aero426

Quote from: 41husk on April 07, 2010, 12:34:14 PM
Yes I did but I have not yet had them developed.  My wife took a couple with he and I standing in front of the truck.  He was an amazingly nice guy.  I hope to meet up with him again some time.

If you do any reading about Neil, he could be a very tough guy on the race track.   I don't think he was afraid to back away from anyone in the old days.     But he is as nice a guy as your could ever want to meet.   He has been there and done that.   Pick up a copy of "Dirt Tracks to Glory" on Amazon which has a whole chapter devoted to him where he talks about the old days.   

41husk

I hope Neal has his health issues back in check.  He is a fighter!  I drove the Daytona to school today.  On friday we have an extra prep period so with my lunch I will have almost two hours to work on the brake lights.  I need to clean sand some rust and detail the hauler this weekend :shruggy:  I need to clean and get some wax on the Daytona as well.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hotrod98

Allen. We checked the switch on the brake pedal and it worked fine. We traced it to the turn signal switch in the column. I've never seen a problem like that before. It's usually the turn signals that mess up when the switch goes bad. If we had one, we would have switched it out to see if that was the problem but I used the last one I had on the 69 runner last year.
Good luck. Glad you're driving it.
How did the transmission shift? I don't think I've ever had out of low the entire time I've had it. I just drove it around the shop here and at the dealership where I worked.
We need pics.... ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

472 R/T SE

Brake light problems?  9 times out of 10 it's the turn signal switch. 

I replaced both of them in my purple car & the Challenger last couple years.

Whatever you do don't spend more than about $50 for a new one.  There's several that specify e body or b body only so they can bend you over.  They're all pretty much universal.

Neil, (Chryco) got me my last one.  $45.  Standard TW7.

hotrod98

I usually keep a couple of each in the cabinet but I didn't have one right when I needed one the most. I bought one for a 69 back from somewhere last year and it was total junk.
How do I go about getting a couple of the good pre 70 switches?

Charles Addams

41husk

I have one comming in Monday with my power steering pump.  I couldn't wait though!  I did a little creative wiring and bypassed the steering colum, just until the switch comes in.  I also had to change the brake switch ??? Now I have brake lights but if I use my turn signal both left and right flash like I turned on the flashers.  I also need a nuetral start switch but it is comming along and turns heads every were.  I drove around for about 3 hours yesterday.  I plan to wash and wax her and cruize some more.  The tranny seems to shift a bit hard but maybe thats just compared to my other cars??  All I know is I'm lovin it!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on April 10, 2010, 02:59:48 PM
I have one comming in Monday with my power steering pump.  I couldn't wait though!  I did a little creative wiring and bypassed the steering colum, just until the switch comes in.  I also had to change the brake switch ??? Now I have brake lights but if I use my turn signal both left and right flash like I turned on the flashers.  I also need a nuetral start switch but it is comming along and turns heads every were.  I drove around for about 3 hours yesterday.  I plan to wash and wax her and cruize some more.  The tranny seems to shift a bit hard but maybe thats just compared to my other cars??  All I know is I'm lovin it!
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  nothing like the feeling of driving a wing car
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Like I said before...I'm kind of jealous.  But in a good way.  :icon_smile_big:

WHERE'S THE PICS!!!!

Charles Addams

472 R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 10, 2010, 09:12:53 AM
I usually keep a couple of each in the cabinet but I didn't have one right when I needed one the most. I bought one for a 69 back from somewhere last year and it was total junk.

Only way to get the good ones is NOS I'm afraid.

The new switches are a repop of the '72 C body switch with cornering lights, the extra connector is for the cornering lights and are not used on A, B and E body's, you can let it hang or just cut it off

Originally 70-74 all had different part numbers.  When they had them repo'd they picked the late '72 C & B body switches as they were the superseded numbers for 70-72 models.  The flasher switch black button needs to be trimmed to fit the column.

I was looking at a couple old ones as well as the reproduction wondering if there would be a market for the original black button switch?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 41husk on April 07, 2010, 08:06:36 AM
It really ran great.  I have a few issues the speedometer and odometer do not work. Luckily I have a GPS that I used as a speedometer, but I doubt the original miles advertised of 52,000 is correct :slap: There were a couple scary times in the mountains going up hill, my speed dropped below 45 mph and I was wondering when I was going to start rolling down hill :shruggy: The Mechanicall fuel pump went out just outside of Illinois.  Fortunately it is equipped with an electric pump on both tanks.  I used over $300 in gas getting it home, and it is much bigger than I thought.

Cummins diesel??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hotrod98

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 10, 2010, 07:11:54 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on April 10, 2010, 09:12:53 AM

Only way to get the good ones is NOS I'm afraid.

The new switches are a repop of the '72 C body switch with cornering lights, the extra connector is for the cornering lights and are not used on A, B and E body's, you can let it hang or just cut it off

Originally 70-74 all had different part numbers.  When they had them repo'd they picked the late '72 C & B body switches as they were the superseded numbers for 70-72 models.  The flasher switch black button needs to be trimmed to fit the column.

I was looking at a couple old ones as well as the reproduction wondering if there would be a market for the original black button switch?

The 69's don't have the hazard in the switch. In fact, the 69's are totally different. I have a few of the later versions but they don't work in the older, smaller columns as far as I know.

Charles Addams

A383Wing

Hey Hotrod....you need a turn switch? I got a used one here still in a 68 "A" body column....I'm sure it's the same

PM me if needed.....repro ones are at www.megapartsusa.com ........

472 R/T SE

There is that little detail.  Since it was a tribute I was automatically thinking '70 for whatever reason.  You even asked pre 70 & it went over my head,  :coocoo:

I had to wake up at 8 am this morning for Korynn's soccer game.  I don't get up that early any more so my brain's been slow all day.  It's not like I need an excuse but that's the best I can come up with.  ;)

hotrod98

Allen, that kickdown linkage may be causing that hard shifting. It needs to be adjusted correctly or you could damage the tranny. Wehn I put the new carb on ther, it seems like the linkage wasn't right. Be sure and check it out. I have so many cars to maintain that I truly can't remember what I've done to what car.

Charles Addams

41husk

I will look at that Larry, that may be the problem.  It was very nice today I drove the challenger up the river road with the top down.  I just took the Daytona up to Advance to see if the switch and power steering pump was in.  The pump will work but the switch was only the plastic piece with two red wires to splice with the harness to the left and right turn signals.  When I replaced the Challengers it came with the entire harness because I remember what a pain it was feeding it through the colum.  I guess I should start checking on line.  It shined up real good but I had the headlights on tonight and it seems they scratch the nose cone when they are up and moving down the road :brickwall: not a big deal.  I will try some clay bar touch it up and see about adjusting them.  I just love driving this thing :2thumbs:  A lady pulled up next to me and informed me she used to own a super bird, and wanted to know why I had not put the wing and nose on a plymouth Charger rather than a Dodge :shruggy: when I said it was a Dodge Daytona that also came with a wing and nose but was a year before the bird.  She smiled and said I did not know what I was talking about, and even though it is avery nice car, every body will know it's not a SuperBird :smilielol:   A picture of Larry, Sandra, there son and grandson oh and me.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

I got the new steering box on order but that has not stopped me.  Took the belt of the pump. Manual steering aint that bad.  They used my car for a video commercial at school for the upcomming car show.  Basicly a kid with a regular late model car pulls into a bay at the auto shop and closes the door.  He acts like he is working on a tranny sanding a fender and even hits one of his tires with a sledge hammer :shruggy: next they show the shop door open and he backs out in my Daytona and says " now I am ready for the GCHS car show" and pulls off.  I will see if they can send me a copy.  Here are some pics of her at her new home.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

I got the new steering box in today.  no leaks or squeaks.  There is a show in Waterloo IL Sunday.  She just may make her first debut.  I need to do some clean up.  Since I spent a week getting the hauler and Daytona, I have spent over a week doing catch up around the house to keep mom happy.  She now has new hard wood floors in her bed room.  I am thinking I deserve some time with my cars now.  I realy need to get the hauler cleaned up!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hotrod98

Have you tried loading the Daytona onto the hauler yet?

Charles Addams

472 R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 20, 2010, 09:32:14 PM
Have you tried loading the Daytona onto the hauler yet?

Yea man be careful getting out of it if you do.  Hate to see you end up like me.  ;)