News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would this bother anyone here??

Started by jb666, January 23, 2010, 03:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Yesterday, I was at a set of lights in Boston.. It's not uncommon for a homeless person to walk up to your car looking for change while you sit there..

Anyways, the window was about 2" down, and I heard someone say "Excuse me".. So I put my window down..

This guy puts a cup up and says "I'm from Haiti , could you spare $1?".

I wasn't too kind.. I was pissed that he would use a catastrophe like that to try to make a few bucks.. I hope he burns in Hell..

Maybe he WAS from Haiti, but I'm quite certain he didn't get survive the earthquake just to come pan-handle in downtown Boston...  :slap:

OK, I feel better now.

Silver R/T

that shows you how low some people can go. It's really hard to look at some of these bums on the corner but most of them can get a job and have all the limbs and live in USA- land of opportunity.
That's why my family came here years ago, to search for better life. We came here with whatever we wore on us that day.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jb666

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 23, 2010, 03:43:58 PM
that shows you how low some people can go. It's really hard to look at some of these bums on the corner but most of them can get a job and have all the limbs and live in USA- land of opportunity.
That's why my family came here years ago, to search for better life. We came here with whatever we wore on us that day.

Exactly.. But some of these guys see an opportunity to cash in and they jump on it. These low-life pieces of crap are making tax-free $$ and spending it on booze and doing it all in the name of a major catastrophe that claimed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people.

nh_mopar_fan

Yeah, I worked in Boston for 7 years and saw the same guys on the same corners every day, for years.

At some point, you gotta figure that's just the way they want it.

I lose sympathy at that point.

b5blue

I remember living in a nice tri-plex in a crappy part of town, the drunks next door to us would get into fights about who's turn it was to take the wheel chair and "ex nam. vet" cardboard sign down to the highway to beg!  :smilielol: Every morning they would push there stolen shopping cart around looking for cans and aluminum to steal.

bull

If there wasn't a social program for every problem imaginable in the US I could see giving money to "homeless" people. However, I have the feeling most of them make more than I do annually and it's all tax free.

Silver R/T

every time I see "vet needs help" I wonder how come US doesn't take care of it's veterans? What a bunch of crock, I don't like people who don't help themselves.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

b5blue

We do! We take darn good care....I know, I'm a Vet. and have seen what is available. You have to want help and ask for it. I spoke to a man yesterday who was homeless just over a year ago, in the V.A.'s care he was nursed back to heath and wile under there care saved 3,500 of SSI to get a new start! Doing fine now and still has full care available. Drunks just want to be Drunks at some level.  :shruggy:

skip68

The thing I hate about driving the General Lee around is that's what you get alot.  Everybody thinks you have money.  I never give money to those that look like they just need more beer.   Awhile back my wife and I were leaving Walmart and there was a family sitting on the curb.   All the guy wanted was a job.   :'(   He said they didn't want money, just a job.  We have been having a tuff time like alot of others right now but not as bad as them.   They were just sitting there at the exit of Walmart.  The guy and his wife with 3 kids.   :rotz:   It was a warm day and we felt bad for the kids so my wife and I gave them $10 and some bottled water that we just got.   Those are the ones I will help.    Last year I had TeamRoth (members here) in my car close to the strip and had a few around us at a gas station.    :flame:   These guys are the junkies and no way in hell would I give them a dime.  

As far as the guy from Haiti, yah right.   You should have told him to get back to Haiti because they are giving free food and water there.    :rofl:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

charger Downunder

They keep doing it because at the end of the day they earn good money.
[/quote]

elacruze

I did the math on a guy in Miami, 79th street on my way to work. He was old, and didn't have a schtick-just tipped his hat, walked the line of cars with a cup and a smile.
The light and line of cars changed about every 30 seconds. Assuming he got two quarters from every light cycle (it appeared he did much better than that) that's $.50/minute or $30/hour.

I've sometimes wondered what keeps me from doing this. There was a student down there who did a study-stood on the same corner for like a week in a tuxedo and a cup. Made an enormous amount of money...I chalked both cases up to people needing entertainment on their way to work and home.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

TylerCharger69

Well....I've learned to NOT hand out money to anybody claiming to collect for "Jerry's Kids" during labor day time....people use that to take advantage of people and not at all for the real cause....If you want to make a donation.....send a check directly to the organization and not someone panhandling on the side of the road.....just my experiences.....so no...it doesnt bother me.

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

John_Kunkel

I would have told the guy "I'm from Haiti too but I was smart enough to get out years ago".  :nana:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike DC

IMHO being homeless for 6 months is one thing, 6 years is another.  Most of the chronically homeless people in my town are either mentally ill, drug addicted, or they just don't want out of it badly enough. 

b5blue

True I read about how the mental heath care system has been allowed to fall apart.

A383Wing

Quote from: charger Downunder on January 23, 2010, 07:02:14 PM

I followed one guy years ago after his "shift",  he walked 1/4 mile from the freeway corner ramp he was on to the Albertsons grocery store where his car was parked. Top of the line Mercedes..he opened the trunk, put his dirty clothes in there, pulled out a nice leather jacket, got on his cell phone, got in the car and drove off.

Smokey Bear

The more that is given, the more of them will be standing there. Free money just enables their drug and drinking habits, nothing more.
It sounds cruel, but the best thing all of us can do is not give them a dime.

Oh, yeah.... it bothers me   :RantExplode: : It bothers me that bleeding hearts give these people money to feel good about themselves when they are just making it worse for everyone. Give you money to the organized charities instead.... the bums go away, and the charities can ramp up their services.

RECHRGD

You even need to be careful of "organized charities" anymore.  Even the most well known charities have been under scrutiny in recent years for spending a large percentage of the donated money on themselves rather than the people in need.  It used to be that when disasters hit, you could donate clothing, food and water that would be shipped to the affected people.  I remember looking for a place to drop off some items after Katrina hit and NOBODY wanted anything but cold hard cash.  I'll pass.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Silver R/T

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 24, 2010, 01:06:07 PM
You even need to be careful of "organized charities" anymore.  Even the most well known charities have been under scrutiny in recent years for spending a large percentage of the donated money on themselves rather than the people in need.  It used to be that when disasters hit, you could donate clothing, food and water that would be shipped to the affected people.  I remember looking for a place to drop off some items after Katrina hit and NOBODY wanted anything but cold hard cash.  I'll pass.  Bob

yes, that's what I wanted to say. Charities are corrupt anymore and spend money on bonuses and other company quirks. If you really want to donate go to local church that does missions to Africa, etc and give them money.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

FLG

Down here in Brooklyn we get em all the time begging.

I never give em cash, ever. If they are in front of some kind of establishment, i WILL say "Listen man, i aint giving ya money but i will buy you some food...what do ya want??"

Some simply ignore me because they know there using the money for things other than food. Most others will ask for a Coffee and something to eat. I know if i was homeless i wouldnt be sitting on the corner asking for cash...id be sitting on the corner asking for food, and i know most people would not hesitate to give someone in need something to eat and drink.

Tilar

That would piss me off too.

When I was driving truck, I used to get people come up all the time asking for food money when I was in the truck stop. The worst place was Albuquerque NM. You barely had time to get backed into a parking space before they were knocking on the window.

I always had food in the truck and I finally started offering them a can of beans and a plastic spoon. Most turned it down saying they didn't like beans or whatever it was that I happened to have at the time.  On the rare occasion that someone did take the can and actually wanted something to eat, I'd take them in and buy them the buffet dinner.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Smokey Bear

QuoteCharities are corrupt anymore and spend money on bonuses and other company quirks. If you really want to donate go to local church that does missions to Africa, etc and give them money.

Churches are corrupt anymore and spend money to hush up alterboys and cover up priests sexual quirks.

There are bad apples everywhere. Your stereotype does the majority of hard-working dedicated charities with respected reputations a great disservice  :flame:

Mike DC

QuoteWhen I was driving truck, I used to get people come up all the time asking for food money when I was in the truck stop. The worst place was Albuquerque NM. You barely had time to get backed into a parking space before they were knocking on the window.

A friend of mine lived there for a few years.  Don't even get him started on the subject of homeless bums.    

TylerCharger69

I remember some years back, we were supplying lights and sound for Type O Negative....We needed a crew to work the show and we were running a bit late getting to the venue...(problem with renting the truck)  A couple of vagrants were, as they always were, underneath an overpass holding signs saying  "will work for food"   Well we stopped, offered them not only lunch, and a good dinner, and an after show treat to Denny's.....they asked...."what kinda work?"  We opened the truck and showed them and said..."unload, set-up, tear down, and load back out again"   Then they started complaining of back pain........later guys!!!!

DodgeByDave

I don't give them any money, or any grief.

There isn't much difference between a homeless man begging for cash, a politician begging for votes, an athlete begging you to buy a particular beer or a boss begging for more work.

It's beginning to seem that prostitution is about the only honest trade where you get what is advertised.
III, we are everywhere

TCB09RT

A few years ago I was in Chicago on a train platform, when a fellow with a plastic badge comes around asking folks to donate to some Chicago homeless charity.
When he got to me I pointed at my Red Wings hat and said, "Hey, I'm from Detroit."
He responded, "Oh, you've got enough problems to deal with," and walked on down the line.
No joke, Detroit's renaissance reputation saves the day again.

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: A383Wing on January 24, 2010, 11:32:26 AM
Quote from: charger Downunder on January 23, 2010, 07:02:14 PM

I followed one guy years ago after his "shift",  he walked 1/4 mile from the freeway corner ramp he was on to the Albertsons grocery store where his car was parked. Top of the line Mercedes..he opened the trunk, put his dirty clothes in there, pulled out a nice leather jacket, got on his cell phone, got in the car and drove off.

That happened up in Toronto a few years a go - a woman was dong the same thing. They figured she was pulling in about 60 to 70 thousand a year - and that's tax free. So, up here that's a six figure pay cheque.
Lots of news coverage later, she moved away.

derailed

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 24, 2010, 01:09:24 PM
If you really want to donate go to local church that does missions to Africa, etc and give them money.

You wanna talk about corruption  :flame:

meepmeep70

ya that bothers me,hate it when people use tragedy to there advantage,i also see all the homeless people in boston,funny when i was driving through last year in a company car,the power windows didn't work and a drunk bum knocked on my window looking for change,it was funny to see his pissed face when i couldn't get the windows down,he keep knocken i just keep lookin at him :hah:,i'll be more then happy to help people who are trying to help themselves,or people who aren't looking for it,but i get so mad when someone bums change for a coffee and in my mirrior i see them go to liquor store,another funny a homeless guy asked for change for a coffee in front of a dunkins,i said no,but i'll buy you a coffee? he said no i want the money,so he got neither :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Cooter

The way I see it, if the "Gentleman" was from Haiti, why not put his ass on a plane down there and let him work during the clean-up and I'm sure they'd feed him.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

chargergirl

Told they guy I was with not to give the guy money...either buy him food or give him a job...do not give him money. I was ridiculed all day...we left a few hours ago and the man was already stumbling while he was begging. I endured two hours of chiding for five seconds of apology. Mark was in Texas and these people were collecting for LA hurricane victims...they would take nothing less than $20...right this will go to victims...RIGHT! Seen too many scams...jaded I guess...and elderly...dang
Trust your Woobie!

vancamp

Quote from: b5blue on January 23, 2010, 05:44:02 PM
We do! We take darn good care....I know, I'm a Vet. and have seen what is available. You have to want help and ask for it. I spoke to a man yesterday who was homeless just over a year ago, in the V.A.'s care he was nursed back to heath and wile under there care saved 3,500 of SSI to get a new start! Doing fine now and still has full care available. Drunks just want to be Drunks at some level.  :shruggy:
im glad some vets are taken care but thats not the case with my father, the Va here basically to put it bluntly told him to bad we cant help you. without writing a book about it they told him he would basically have to have no income and almost destitute for them to help even though he was honorably discharged in 1971.

A383Wing

A couple of times I gave out employment applications to the guys standing at the freeway off ramps

Sublime/Sixpack

I enjoy helping people in need, but I have to admit I don't like to be approached by people asking for money, it even angers me at times. But a couple days ago as I came out from a building where I doing a job, a frail looking gal in her early forties came up to me and asked sir, by any chance do you have some spare change you could let me have? I looked at her and said no. She said oh, okay thank you anyway and walked off.
I have to say that for some reason it's still bothering me that I didn't help with at least a dollar or two. I remember thinking I have much to be grateful for and no matter what she would have spent the money on it really wouldn't have mattered. I probably should have helped her.
Bash me if you want, call me a bleeding heart, but I can't help but think of what the man upstairs thought of me that day. :shruggy:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

chargergirl

Trust your woobie...if your instincts say they need help...they do. If you feel off'ed or offended by the asking then walk away. I have been homeless twice in my life...I have never begged...somehow...God willing I made it through and kept a roof over my sons and my own head. Sometimes we ate the same thing for three days...we had food it was ok. Then I was blessed by being able to feed the army that lived at my house...never once was I on food stamps although I should have...maybe it would have made things easier.
Trust your Woobie!

Sublime/Sixpack

Chargergirl,
Apparently you've been through some hard times but it sounds as though you did allright, glad things worked out for you and your sons.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Silver R/T

Check out spending bill of Boys & Girls Clubs of America...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_charity_expenses
And to think I've donated some money to charities like that, what a bunch of scumbags.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

FLG

I actually had a run in with one last night  :yesnod:

Begging of the freeway ramp for change. Older guy, he didnt seem like he was the drug type but i still refused him money...but i was going to the burger king across the street.

So i said "Hey buddy, you want a burger?"

He politely nodded his head.

I got him some food, he thanked me, than walked away from the freeway ramp to the seating area outside the burger king and enjoyed his meal. He didnt sit by the ramp and keep begging, i found it pretty nice that he might have actually been begging for change for food!

So i walked outside and asked his name. I never trust em because well theres gotta be something wrong that they lost all they had, but he actually didnt seem all that stupid, maybe metal issues? Who knows. But he told me about his prior jobs and where he came from (Father was from here, mother from Belgium). He's 55, and actually trying to work to make some money to at least rent a room, maybe one day get back on his feet.

Actually seemed quite normal, very nice, and polite for that brief time we were talking. Told him if i saw him again i wouldnt hesitate to get him some grub...he said "oh, your going to make me fat" ....got a chuckle out of that  :lol: