News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbirds damaged @ Russo-Steele

Started by Hemi_tyme, January 24, 2010, 12:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi_tyme

Hemi_tyme

tan top

awwwn all that hardware damaged , thats a sickening sight  :'(
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hotrod98

Thanks for posting this Ken. I was curious as to how bad the damages were.
I wonder how many of those cars were actually insured. Some that had just been purchased may not have been insured. Many insurance companies won't automatically insure a collectible car unless you already have another similar car insured.
The big question is how the insurance companies will handle "loss of value" since repairing the cars will not return them to original full value. This fiasco will be a long drawn out affair. May take years to get all of the claims settled.
Glad my bird was home safe and sound.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Tilar

I wonder how many $$$ that adds up to.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

FJ5WING

looks like "red oxide" primer under the fender of the Orange bird. I wonder if it was unrestored?

someone please explain to me the "remove before flight" flag.

I think they are soooo stupid!
wingless now, but still around.

mauve66

aircraft have them in certain places, the car has large wing on it, flies down the road like an aircraft, similar to the tiger tail in the trunk of a GTO, just something to do back in the day
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

BB1

I saw the fat guy whats-his-name, tell the news people before this happen..., they had extra stakes and moved semi trucks to buffet the wind. "These tents are good for 80 mph wind gusts."

I guess not.  :o ::)
Delete my profile

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

daytonalo

Something is not right with rear photo , Why ?? It appears in the photo the Back lite ( rear window ) is cracked and they are supposed to be Tempered part for sure ?? Something is not right

Larry

moparchris

Larry,
Are you sure you're not trying to pick the fly-shit out of the pepper?  I looked at both the red and blue "Birds before they were damaged and they were both VERY nice cars.  Funny things happen to materials whether they are metal or glass when 50 foot tall metal poles fall on them in 65 m.p.h. winds.

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: daytonalo on January 24, 2010, 09:06:58 PM
Something is not right with rear photo , Why ?? It appears in the photo the Back lite ( rear window ) is cracked and they are supposed to be Tempered part for sure ?? Something is not right

Larry

That's one of the first things I thought! should of shattered like all the other rear glass (Tempered glass).........must be China re pop glass.
Ken

daytonalo

Chris , I will go slow for you , ANY glass certified for use on public roads must be DOT certified , that said all glass must be tempered except Windshield . Any questions ? In case you do Tempered means it breaks into a million pieces  

Not picking the car apart Cupcake , just making it clear that Backlight is not right and if this owner might be passing this car off as never restored or damaged then it becomes an issue

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on January 24, 2010, 09:36:16 PM

The crack lines look like plexiglass
Larry

That's one of the first things I thought! should of shattered like all the other rear glass (Tempered glass).........must be China re pop glass.
Ken
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

daytonalo

Highbanked Hauler

I've never dealt with lexan  :shruggy:

After going through the pictures a lot of tempered glass is the same way.  The damage is unbelievable!!!!
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Hemi_tyme

Larry,
I don't think Lexan..........Sure looks like saftey glass...See the pieces of glass on the package tray. Lexan just cracks or brakes right?

hotrod98

I think theres more damage from the wind driven gravel than from having the tent fall on them. I would be so sick if my car had been there. I think I'll go out to the shop and admire my bird again before I go to bed.  ::)

Charles Addams

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 24, 2010, 10:35:51 PM
I think theres more damage from the wind driven gravel than from having the tent fall on them. I would be so sick if my car had been there. I think I'll go out to the shop and admire my bird again before I go to bed.  ::)

Larry, This quote from a member of Moparts that was there. It makes sense.

Man, a lot of cars bent, broke, dented but the black Trans Am with the red gut really sticks out! That car was DESTROYED!

Are all the dings and broken glass from hail damage or from rocks/debris that were kicked up

Damage like that on the Trans AM was caused by the tent lifting up with the steel poles attached.
The poles acted like wind chimes banging into the cars.

A383Wing

superbirdtom

Wow   the superbirds rear plug was bashed pretty good I can see the vinyl top having to be removed  too bad if it was original   which I doubt, and look at the trailing edge of the drivers side upright, looks like some big gouges in it.  Now to have that big of gouges in it it might be a repop. I wish  these pics were high res . I could tell if it was a aluminum one . The rear window  should have smashed to tiny little pieces, so it is obviuously safety glass like the windshield.  wonder who makes those? 

all in all a tragedy   that superbird is messed up and would easily cost 30 grand to fix   right.

hotrod98

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on January 24, 2010, 10:44:02 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on January 24, 2010, 10:35:51 PM
I think theres more damage from the wind driven gravel than from having the tent fall on them. I would be so sick if my car had been there. I think I'll go out to the shop and admire my bird again before I go to bed.  ::)

Larry, This quote from a member of Moparts that was there. It makes sense.

Man, a lot of cars bent, broke, dented but the black Trans Am with the red gut really sticks out! That car was DESTROYED!

Are all the dings and broken glass from hail damage or from rocks/debris that were kicked up

Damage like that on the Trans AM was caused by the tent lifting up with the steel poles attached.
The poles acted like wind chimes banging into the cars.

Back when I was an insurance adjustor, I handled a ton of wind driven debris claims. Kind of like sand storm damage only the dents and paint chips were much larger and the glass was broken instead of just being etched.

Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: superbirdtom on January 24, 2010, 11:05:52 PM
wonder who makes those? 

everyone.  that's the only way you can get repop wing car rear glass.

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: A383Wing on January 24, 2010, 10:57:41 PM
Got this from a friend of mine...rather long and sad

http://www.allclassicsllc.com/home/2010-russo-and-steele-damages

Thanks for posting that, but man that is tough to watch.

It's worse than flipping through Cars in Barns because these cars were cared for.

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Just 6T9 CHGR

Its unbelievable the amount of damage to those cars...a lot of it seems like roof, a pillar window damage.   Hard to repair stuff IMHO no?   Real hard to look at all 215 of those pics.  I wonder what the monetary amount of damage will add up to?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

resq302

Larry

Larry, I agree.  Being on a volunteer fire department and purposely breaking glass to get victims out, all of the glass is tempered now or safety glass.   The only window that is laminated is the windshield which is to prevent the glass from blowing into the drivers face should something strike the windshield.  Almost seems like the rear window was a replacement or laminated or otherwise.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto