News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Suggestions On How To Care For Decals?

Started by Iron Chef, February 09, 2010, 02:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Chef

Hey everyone...this is my first post on this board, and a fine place you have here.  This one really stumps me: I've searched and can't seem to find a straight answer as to how to wax my car with striping.  I just bought a 1971 Super Bee with the flat black Super Bee decal on the power bulge, body side stripes and I also have the Go Wing in flat black. It has been my experience that car wax products and flat/matte black paint or decals don't get along.  I have NO idea how to care for these things!  :shruggy:

The car WAS repainted with a modern basecoat/clearcoat finish a few years ago, and all the striping was replaced with new repro graphics commonly available from restoration houses such as Year One.

Any ideas and/or product suggestions? Or should I just tape them off each time I apply wax to the car?  Also, the "Bee" style hood insert was replaced with the R/T style louvered insert.  If anyone has any idea how to refinish that (it's a bit faded), I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!  :cheers:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

68X426

Welcome. It's a great forum.

I have always just cleaned and waxed, with no problems, or fading, etc. Just dumb luck I guess. I would think it's the cleaners that cause the most damage, and I use only distilled water, some Maguires, and the softest cotton towels.

Here's some links to sites that design and produce their own decals. Contact each and maybe somebody will have an opinion from a manufacturer's perspective.  :-\

http://www.goyda.com

http://www.racingdecals.com

http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/decals.html

And also a top flite local paint shop might give you some ideas too. :popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

mikepmcs

DO NOT GET WAX ON YOUR MATTE DECALS.
Get some wide green body masking tape and tape them off.

Welcome aboard.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: mikepmcs on February 09, 2010, 04:48:48 AM
DO NOT GET WAX ON YOUR MATTE DECALS.
Get some wide green body masking tape and tape them off.

Welcome aboard.

I agree.   When I had my '08 Daytona with the huge hood graphic I never used any products that had petroleum in them.  I used Adam's Polishes products exclusively on the car.   Their products do not have any white residue.  Their detail spray is all I used on the decals with no troubles.
www.adamspolishes.com  

PS-- welcome to the site!  :wave:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Iron Chef

Thanks guys.  Guess I'll be stocking up on green tape as I'm a waxing fanatic.  :lol:

Appreciate all the help.  :cheers:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Brock Samson

whatever you do, do not get wax on the Reflective decals!  :-\ don't ask me how I know this...  :RantExplode: