News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RACE WING ON EBAY

Started by moparstuart, March 02, 2010, 10:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tan top

:coolgleamA:  looks like the same color as on Buddy Bakers 
  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

wingcar

This may be a dumb question, but were the bases on the race wings different?  These appear different from the street versions, and second question....aren't all "factory" wings hollow? (The more I know...the less I know) ::)

1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

Quote from: wingcar on March 02, 2010, 02:51:35 PM
This may be a dumb question, but were the bases on the race wings different?  These appear different from the street versions, and second question....aren't all "factory" wings hollow? (The more I know...the less I know) ::)

The hardware below the wing is race specific.   The race wings should have those two tubular braces extending out the bottom.   They fit into the race only bases which bolt to the trunk floor.    They also make it very quick to remove and reinstall the wing. 

I've heard that some street Daytona (early cars?) wings had solid centers, but most are hollow.     I don't think I've seen one myself.

pettybird

Quote from: tan top on March 02, 2010, 12:44:43 PM
:coolgleamA:  looks like the same color as on Buddy Bakers 
  :popcrn:

how COULD it be?  there was only one baker daytona--remember???

wingcar

Quote from: Aero426 on March 02, 2010, 03:47:44 PM

The hardware below the wing is race specific.   The race wings should have those two tubular braces extending out the bottom.   They fit into the race only bases which bolt to the trunk floor.    They also make it very quick to remove and reinstall the wing. 

I've heard that some street Daytona (early cars?) wings had solid centers, but most are hollow.     I don't think I've seen one myself.

I guess I should been more specific in that I was talking about the base on the wing itself which appears more "square" in the picture.  I have an old Daytona wing that I purchased many years ago and according to the seller it was off a race car.  It has the same shape as a street Daytona so I was just wondering.  I should also mention that it is hollow as is the "wing" section.   

wingcar

Forgot to add that when I purchased my Daytona wing in the 1980's, I also purchased a Daytona  NOS rear window plug (50.00 or so), the rear plug out of a purple Daytona racer (had the window braces still attached) and the rear window plug from Unser's red and white Superbird, with window braces (Still had a couple of markings on it)  the two used plugs were $25.00 each.  I sold them a few years back for a nice profit to say the least.  Luckly people are now repro'ing the plugs for a lot less than I sold them for....
If you really want a sick story...I purchased a new NOS rear Daytona rear window in the late '80', early '90s for around 135.00 or so from a glass shop and until around 5 years ago it was still in the Dodge packaging.  After ordering and returning within two weeks...the owner was mad because the employee had sold it for cost as he misread the parts book.....owner let it go.....sometimes it pays to be in the right spot at the right time...... :yesnod:
Never see those prices ever again, that's for sure.............

Aero426

Quote from: wingcar on March 02, 2010, 05:20:58 PM
Forgot to add that when I purchased my Daytona wing in the 1980's, I also purchased a Daytona  NOS rear window plug (50.00 or so), the rear plug out of a purple Daytona racer (had the window braces still attached) and the rear window plug from Unser's red and white Superbird, with window braces (Still had a couple of markings on it)  the two used plugs were $25.00 each.  I sold them a few years back for a nice profit to say the least.  Luckly people are now repro'ing the plugs for a lot less than I sold them for....
If you really want a sick story...I purchased a new NOS rear Daytona rear window in the late '80', early '90s for around 135.00 or so from a glass shop and until around 5 years ago it was still in the Dodge packaging.  After ordering and returning within two weeks...the owner was mad because the employee had sold it for cost as he misread the parts book.....owner let it go.....sometimes it pays to be in the right spot at the right time...... :yesnod:
Never see those prices ever again, that's for sure.............

Hi Joe,  you've been around a loooonnng time.   The casting of the actual three wing pieces are all the same between street and race.

Don Danielewicz, was probably the guy who advertised those window plugs.    Don was a rather eccentric individual who went around cleaning out as many race shops as he could in the late 70's.    He got a bunch of stuff from Nichels - a few used things and a whole LOT of NOS that was sold on the cheap, even then.  It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Here are the doors from the 5 car outside of Don's garage in Milwaukee.     The #5 wing is still in the greater Milwaukee area.

wingcar

You maybe correct, as the name looks very familiar.....I should try and find the old Wingcar Club Newsletter with the ad....I still have all my old newsletters.............The only problem is it makes you a bit sick when you see all the old pricing...... :-\

Y-BRIDGE HEMI

I bought a brand new 500/Daytona deck lid from Danielewicz back in the day.  I called him the same day I received the newsletter.  I still have it BTW.  My christal ball wasn't working that day or I would have bought a hellova lot more stuff.   

1RareBird

Quote from: wingcar on March 02, 2010, 05:07:29 PM

I guess I should been more specific in that I was talking about the base on the wing itself which appears more "square" in the picture.  I have an old Daytona wing that I purchased many years ago and according to the seller it was off a race car.  It has the same shape as a street Daytona so I was just wondering.  I should also mention that it is hollow as is the "wing" section.   

The base of the wing looks "square" because what you are looking at are the plates that go up inside the quarter and support the race wing from underneath.  They are on there to show the wing/supports are complete assemblies.  
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

wingcar

Thanks for clearing that issue up for me....that's what I was thinking, but was unsure....

C5X DAYTONA

Jim Radke's Daytona that was sold to Joe Slama was solid.  Not too early a car.   I think Vernon Judy's white Daytona was also a solid wing. 
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Aero426

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on March 04, 2010, 12:59:26 AM

Jim Radke's Daytona that was sold to Joe Slama was solid.  Not too early a car.   I think Vernon Judy's white Daytona was also a solid wing. 

I agree.    I was reminded that another car we used to own also had a solid wing when it was taken apart for restoration.

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on March 04, 2010, 09:32:29 AM
Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on March 04, 2010, 12:59:26 AM

I agree.    I was reminded that another car we used to own also had a solid wing when it was taken apart for restoration.
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on March 04, 2010, 09:43:46 AM

This one...  dad sold it in '79.   It is 383272, now restored back to Hemi Orange white stripe.   It's probably been at Mopars at the Park.   The vinyl top was an aftermarket job.  Even the fender scoops were covered in the same white vinyl.  The car came out of the Chambersburg PA area.

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on March 04, 2010, 10:21:22 AM

This one...  dad sold it in '79.   It is 383272, now restored back to Hemi Orange white stripe.   It's probably been at Mopars at the Park.   The vinyl top was an aftermarket job.  Even the fender scoops were covered in the same white vinyl.  The car came out of the Chambersburg PA area.

so is the an early vin #  ?  are all the solid wings early vins ?
  very cool car btw

Brock Samson

Wow what a striking combo that was! the stripe looks a bit oversized too,.. sometimes I'm disappointed all the areo warriors get restored to stock as some of the personalised mods over the years were really pretty cool and interesting.
   :shruggy:

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on March 04, 2010, 10:31:16 AM

so is the an early vin #  ?  are all the solid wings early vins ?
  very cool car btw

No, it's not an early VIN at all.   I take back anything I said before about early cars being solid.   :icon_smile_big:

nascarxx29

This one...  dad sold it in '79.   It is 383272, now restored back to Hemi Orange white stripe.   It's probably been at Mopars at the Park.   The vinyl top was an aftermarket job.  Even the fender scoops were covered in the same white vinyl.  The car came out of the Chambersburg PA area.

I could be wrong.But Im sure that vins sounds real familar wasnt it .The now Harold Sullivan car former owner #88 owner Greg K..Unrelated PS Harold Sullivan also has a hemi daytona 4 speed car from my town.That was found in NY for $500 here its story

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

L9B383269 lives near me its a earlier vin .Never investigated his wing.Its the car thats chromed out with a 426 hemi in supercars showing its undercarriage
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701