News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

step by step leading 1/4 panel sail seam on the Scow

Started by SFRT, February 03, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: SFRT on February 04, 2010, 01:12:25 PM
xs.to..ugh....

no idea really, we melted out the factory lead and there was no noticable 'sag' ...I dont know if using 'lead' is better than modern body fillers, but , for me, its just way cooler. seems 'realer' . it seems to work easier than bondo as well.

Lead in a deep cavity like that is the only way to go.IMO Plastic fillers expand and contract far more than any metal. and when you have thick filler in that strip and thin right next to it,its going to exoand and contract at a different rate leaving you with a ghost seam. Plastic filler is fine in most applications but not in a thick area like that.

.......also , Give kudos to your guy Brandon....He did an excellent job bu the looks of it. How did he like the lead free verses the 70/30 hes probably used to?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

SFRT

he was hesitant for a seciond then no problem. guy is ultra skilled. he mostly builds 1 of a kind motorcycles, and I mean from scratch. his metal shop is amazing.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: SFRT on February 04, 2010, 05:36:00 PM
he was hesitant for a seciond then no problem. guy is ultra skilled. he mostly builds 1 of a kind motorcycles, and I mean from scratch. his metal shop is amazing.

When We did the plug on my Daytona clone was the first experiance with the lead free and I kind like the way its more maleable...The real lead stuff is pretty runny in comparison. You better have it tinned REALLY well though. The real lead stuff is far more forgiving in that aspect.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ionracer24

did u replace your roof panel as well??  i'm goin to have to and was wondering how hard it was if u did?  either way thats an outstanding job on the leading!! :2thumbs:
Real race cars have three pedals......

SFRT

nope. the roof was in great shape. I have replaced the front fenders, front lower valance, rear valance, rear corners,rear 1/4s, trunk floor and sides, left front rail and firewall , trunk gutters all the windows and the dutchman. all AMD...except for the rail that came from Texas Acres and the trunk floor from somehwere i cant remember.
Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

after carefully cleaning the drip rails, used some 2 part self-leveling epoxy to seal them. sandable and non-shrinking.

Always Drive Responsibly

superbirdtom

I love the self leveling stuff, we use it all the time and it is the greatest.  have you ever all metaled in the quarter seams instead of lead?    lead is the best and nice job by the way .I have used the all metal filler and have had good luck as when your done all you have to do is prime and block  so skim filler needed.  But up here in Alaska we don't get blistering 115 temps that will eventually leave a ghost somewhere.