News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got the Aluminum DAYTONA WINGS

Started by Daytona Guy, September 29, 2005, 01:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Quote from: wingcars6970 on October 20, 2005, 06:56:52 AM
Hey they look real good as were on this daytona wing subject .I had found this a while back

Hey thats hard to read, would you have a larger version of it?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 20, 2005, 10:53:17 AM
Quote from: wingcars6970 on October 20, 2005, 06:56:52 AM
Hey they look real good as were on this daytona wing subject .I had found this a while back

Hey thats hard to read, would you have a larger version of it?
Here, try these bifocals. :icon_smile_big:

http://wwnboa.org/motw.htm

Winged Warriors/National B-Body Owners Association
Maker of the Wings
By Sue George

Last fall, New Jersey member Dave Benasutti contacted me to say that he'd been surfing the Internet and found a web site that belonged to a company by the name of Hackett Brass in Detroit, MI. Dave gave me the URL and I looked it up. On that web site is a brief history of the company, a foundry which was established in 1917. In that history is the following paragraph: Hackett cast the spoiler stanchions for the first Daytona Charger. These were the tall stanchions that held the spoiler well above the roofline for stock car racing. Later we produced a shorter version for the street Charger".

I was intrigued and sent a letter to Hackett Brass asking if someone was still with the company who could elaborate on this particular job. I really didn't hold out much hope, considering the stanchion job would have taken place in late 1968 or early 1969, 30 some odd years ago. What are the chances the same employee, foreman or even manager that worked on this project may still be with the company now?

Much to my surprise, several weeks later I received a letter from Mr. Charles E. Fine, retired Vice President of Hackett Brass! Here is what Mr. Fine shared with me:

"I enjoyed your letter and have looked at many of the pictures on your web site. I'm afraid I can't provide any documentation detail about the Daytona Charger tail stanchions, but I do have a few memories of the project.

Hackett Brass is a small, family owned jobbing foundry that specializes in tooling castings, primarily copper for body line spot welding guns. In the '50s and '60s we were associated with Centr-O-Cast, a permanent mold foundry that produced much of the Chrysler trim before die casting took over, as well as trans-mission bell housings and transmission extensions for light truck and marine applications.

In '68 or '69 Centr-O-Cast approached us with a problem. Chrysler needed experimental spoiler stanchions for the Daytona Charger and, if successful, a production run to qualify the car for stock [car] racing. Permanent mold tools couldn't be built fast enough for their needs; could we build sand tooling and produce 50 pair in time for the upcoming stock car racing season. Fifty units was the minimum production for a stock car.

We managed to produce a few pair, which apparently were satisfactory, as we were given a rush order to qualify the car for that year's Daytona 500. Once we had finished, Centr-O-Cast built dies and went into production for the 'real' stock version-about 2,500 sets. My memory is that our sand cast stanchion placed the spoiler well above the roof line while the permanent mold version placed the spoiler only slightly above. I believe the difference was about 6 inches. I don't know if any of the original track version were sold to the public.

There is some difference of memory in the shop. My partner believes we made 500 pair. His job was to deliver castings to the polisher and then to Creative Industries for painting and installation. He made so many trips he knows there were more than 50 pair.

Our manufacture of the production run was amusing to watch. We usually did not produce quantities of any large castings, and we did not have much room in our 8,500 square foot building for anything more than rough trim. However our customer wanted finished parts, polished and ready for paint. So we set up repair welding and repair workstations on the sidewalk beside the foundry. As long as it didn't rain our crews were outside with long extension cords and air lines to power the hand tools used to produce our finished parts while the neighbors stood around to watch the excitement.

Since we were not responsible for the engineering, we do not have drawings of any of these parts, and the tooling disappeared long ago."

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Charger Fan to the rescue, get that man a beer! (Just one, it's early)  :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 20, 2005, 01:16:22 PM
Charger Fan to the rescue, get that man a beer! (Just one, it's early)   :cheers:
Good idea, I still need to drive home. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Khyron on September 29, 2005, 01:22:09 PM
I should buy one and just slap it on my 69 ;)

that'll piss off the purists :D
That is why I go to Mopar shows.I get a few (how could you do that to that car)###K them.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

daytonalo

Please call me @ 609-315-2230 I would like to buy a wing and also who sells trunk hinges?

hotrod98

Janek sells hinges  281 379-2828
Dayclona has them as well  508 977-0680

I have an extra set of unfinished aluminum wings that I bought from Dane that I may not use.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

there's one on ebay, don't hit the buy it know price. they sell for about $650.thats the guy i bought my first wing from.  hope that helps, Rene

**Link Removed**
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

mauve66

i know this is an old thread but are the braces (from the trunk floor to the wing washer) the same from the tona to the bird??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

A383Wing

Quote from: mauve66 on April 09, 2010, 06:52:25 PM
i know this is an old thread but are the braces (from the trunk floor to the wing washer) the same from the tona to the bird??

I don't think so

hotrod98

Yes they are, other than the floor brackets and the bird style has a washer welded to the top of two of the braces. The  brackets that weld to the floor are different but the Daytona brackets can be altered to work. The Daytonas have an 85 degree bend and bolt to the floor and the bird brackets weld to the floor.
If anyone needs a set, I still have a few sets. I'll go $100 inc shipping in the 48 for a full set, unpainted. They are absolutely identical to the original Daytonas.
I used a set on my 69 Runner and they fit perfectly. I decided to just bolt them to the floor since I didn't want to weld anything in place. I simply bent the tab a little more to sit flat on the floor and bolted them in.
Here's a pic.

Charles Addams

mauve66

reason i asked was i bought a set of braces on here (forgot from who) last year and didn't realize they might be different, i'm guessing the ones i bought are for a bird since they have no bend in them
i know i will have to modify them eventually anyway when i get to that point but i probably should of just got the Tona ones...............??

any ideas on which ones would be best (easiest) to modify for a 1st gen??

hotrod98, interested in swapping if you think your Tona ones would make more sense for my application??  i'll pay shipping both ways
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

hotrod98

We could probably do that. Send me a pic of yours and we'll see what you've got and whether you need to trade them or alter them.

Charles Addams

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim