News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bull's 68 Charger restoration thread

Started by bull, March 15, 2010, 02:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on August 17, 2013, 06:58:33 PM
uhhhhh, Hello sir... I was. kinda hoping to....with your permission... TO TAKE YOUR CHARGER ON A DATE!!!!, i wont hurt her i swear!  :icon_smile_shy:

I know, everyone wants to put their grubby mits on her now but where were they when all the PIA work was being done? :nana:

Quote from: VegasCharger on August 17, 2013, 04:57:44 AM
One hell of a nice Charger Bull. The front view shot just runs chills down my spine!!!

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

The whole time I was putting that grill in I was nervous as hell about the alignment. If you look at the first pic I posted on page 1 you can see where the grill dips down in the middle. And then when I posted a finished pic of the restored grill before installation it looked low in the middle again. Once I got that lower/center brace bolted down though it all fell in to place. The front bumper needs to come down just a hair on the driver side and it will be as close to perfect as I'm going to get it. Overall I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: bull on August 17, 2013, 08:23:15 PM
I know, everyone wants to put their grubby mits on her now but where were they when all the PIA work was being done? :nana:

we were supporting you emotionally  :2thumbs: ... now gimme the keys  :rofl:

chargerboy69

Curtis, she sure is looking good, you have done a great job. Do you have air shocks on it?
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

Quote from: chargerboy69 on August 17, 2013, 08:40:44 PM
Curtis, she sure is looking good, you have done a great job. Do you have air shocks on it?

No. Edelbrock IAS all around. The ride height needs adjusting. I want to go up about 1" in front and it's too high at the RR.

VegasCharger

Quote from: VegasCharger on August 17, 2013, 04:57:44 AM
One hell of a nice Charger Bull. The front view shot just runs chills down my spine!!!

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

The whole time I was putting that grill in I was nervous as hell about the alignment. If you look at the first pic I posted on page 1 you can see where the grill dips down in the middle. And then when I posted a finished pic of the restored grill before installation it looked low in the middle again. Once I got that lower/center brace bolted down though it all fell in to place. The front bumper needs to come down just a hair on the driver side and it will be as close to perfect as I'm going to get it. Overall I'm very happy with the way it turned out.
[/quote]

Hopefully one day my '68 will look like that (I'm going with black too).
Yours gives me encouragement.............Thanks Bull

el dub

Your grill looks great. It got me started working on mine. I was wondering on the headlight door, it looks like it is held on by 2 rivits with a cap nut on the inside. Did you pry it off or did you cut it. There are also 4 rivits on the outside of the headlight surround and 6 on the inside of the surround. Do you need to take these off to split the surround from the center section? thanks. lw
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

bull

Just remove the keepers from the studs to get the doors off. The arms are very flexible and can be removed easily. Also, if your pivot holes are egged out there are ways to fix them: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,102551.0.html

As for the side rivets, I did not remove them and I don't know anyone that has. I would just leave them in place and work around them. The surrounds are held to the center section by 8 bolts, 4 on top and 4 on the bottom on each side where the sections meet. Those and some plastic locating pins are the only thing holding them together. Here's a pic showing the holes in the center section:

el dub

OK thanks for that. I got it all apart now. In the pics you showed just now, is that where you used the jb weld or the other brand to fix those holes. I

bull

Yeah, that and some plastic remnants from a plastics supplier in town. Cut and shape the plastic to fit with a carbide bit in an angle grinder and then epoxy it in place. That spot in the second pic looked like this when I started.

bull

Quote from: el dub on August 18, 2013, 08:30:04 PM
OK thanks for that. I got it all apart now. In the pics you showed just now, is that where you used the jb weld or the other brand to fix those holes. I

If you grenade those bolts getting them off there are vendors who sell those bolts new along with the spacer kit.

el dub

I got lucky and managed to save all the hardware. I squirted some clp on everything 2 days ago so it wasn't to much trouble. I only had 3 holes that were busted out. And a couple of cracks in the corners so I wont have to work hard as you did. I hope mine comes out as good as yours though. What color silver paint did you use on yours? lw

bull

Those might not be too bad because they're in plastic. The bolts I had real problems with were the ones going into the speed nuts through the spacers in the frame.

The silver is SEM Bumper Coater - light titanium metallic #39283. It's a perfect match.

el dub

resq302

Quote from: bull on August 18, 2013, 10:40:49 PM
Those might not be too bad because they're in plastic. The bolts I had real problems with were the ones going into the speed nuts through the spacers in the frame.

The silver is SEM Bumper Coater - light titanium metallic #39283. It's a perfect match.

Curtis,

The silver around the opening is this titanium metallic silver color or was that the vertical lines that were this color?  For some reason, I thought the 69s were darker than the 68s
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bull

Quote from: resq302 on August 19, 2013, 06:41:21 AM
Quote from: bull on August 18, 2013, 10:40:49 PM

Curtis,

The silver around the opening is this titanium metallic silver color or was that the vertical lines that were this color?  For some reason, I thought the 69s were darker than the 68s

I did both the fronts of the bars and the surrounds in that SEM titanium. I would assume the factory would have used the same paint on both too. I'm not sure about the 69s other than to say the 69s did not get the verticle grill bars painted as far as I know. All I know is that the SEM titanium looked exactly like the silver that was on my grill originally.

bull

Done, for the most part.

TUFCAT

We've been waiting for this and long time. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:  

Where have you been?  :scope:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,112047.0.html

Glad to have you back! :2thumbs:  You were missed.

firefighter3931

The Car looks great Curtis  :2thumbs:  Black 68's rule !!!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :icon_smile_big:

How is the engine running ? Performance ? You happy so far ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

;)

TUFCAT

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 17, 2014, 02:32:36 PMbig:

How is the engine running ? Performance ? You happy so far ?

Ron

I would love to hear an exhaust rumble from that Crower cammed 383.....any chance you can make a music video at the tailpipes?  :icon_smile_wink:

bill440rt

Cool, Bull's back!  :cheers:

The Charger looks STUNNING, Curtis!  :drool5: :drool5:
What a jaw dropper!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

tan top

good to see ya Curtis   :cheers:  :wave:  :2thumbs:

charger looks awesome   :yesnod: :drool5: :dance: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RIDELIKEHELL

:cheers: What a looker!!!! Congrats on getting her finished an in film out on the town  :coolgleamA:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)