News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rolling resistance of average drag car & ways to achive it.

Started by greenpigs, March 17, 2010, 09:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpigs

Its been a little bit since my last 20 question post so what does it take to get a car setup where only a little effort is needed to move it? I have seen one average sized guy push a Duster with one hand and what seemed little effort as an example. Then again I about blow my back out trying to move my Charger on smooth & level concrete. I googled this and did a search but didn't find to much....as I think this may be a "Dark Secret" of setting a car up. I understand there may have been close to 700lbs less the guy had to push on the Duster but I know there is more to it than just weight. I have heard of backing off the "tension" on drum brakes but I would like to live a little longer. Any ideals?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Cooter

Well, I can only tell you what I do on my own car..(A-Body)..I pump the "Pizza cutters" (165/15) up to around 50 PSI when I'm running it, as well as backing off the rear drum brakes..

Weight DOES paly a key role, but you are correct, it isn't all of it..the Narrower your front tires are, the less rolling resistance you will have. Yes, you are correct in assuming that drum brakes are better for this as the disc brakes "Drag" a little on the pads.
Front end alignment plays a role as well, but most drag cars have the alignment set up so that when the cars front end is up, the alignment is correct..Wouldn't be much help when the car's front end is down...
Also, I've seen some guys set their wheels bearings front and rear up a little on the loose side to help. But, then again, this is stuff that isn't for the "Street" guys..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

375instroke

Dick Landy used gear oil on his front wheel bearings.