News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

REAR WINDOW GASKET

Started by dreamcatcher, March 30, 2010, 10:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamcatcher

Can someone tell me where to find the weather strip or gasket for the rear window for a superbird.I don't see them listed anywhere I have looked.I have the Janak rear window.I don't think it fits well enough to just use urethane.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Aero426

It uses the old fashioned butyl seal which comes in a roll from your local paint jobber.    There is no rubber gasket. 

dreamcatcher

If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

nascarxx29

The butyl tape comes in 1/4 5/16 and 3/8 thickness.It will affect window height and trim going back on .Also check your window clips and those tape kits might come with rubber spacers
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

Just curious. What type of moldings are you using? I'm guessing that you aren't using clips. The only Janek plugs that I've seen used were used with the Lexan back glass and some type of aftermarket generic trim, usually black.
I'm not a big fan of Lexan since it usually doesn't hold up too well and the trim always looks a little cheesy.

Before I decided to sell my Superbird clone project, I bought a Barracuda roof to use the back glass channel, back glass and Barracuda moldings. The glass is about two inches shorter but to me it definitely looks better than lexan and plastic trim.
I had planned to make a set of diamonds using the ones on my real Superbird as a template to complete the look.

Here's a pic of a Coronet with the Barracuda back glass. Just missing the diamonds which would make it look more correct in my opinion. That and the glass could be placed about an inch lower.  
This is just an idea for future Superbird cloners.  All steel, real glass and stainless trim.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

A383Wing

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 30, 2010, 10:21:53 PM
Just curious. What type of moldings are you using? I'm guessing that you aren't using clips. The only Janek plugs that I've seen used were used with the Lexan back glass and some type of aftermarket generic trim, usually black.
I'm not a big fan of Lexan since it usually doesn't hold up too well and the trim always looks a little cheesy.

Before I decided to sell my Superbird clone project, I bought a Barracuda roof to use the back glass channel, back glass and Barracuda moldings. The glass is about two inches shorter but to me it definitely looks better than lexan and plastic trim.
I had planned to make a set of diamonds using the ones on my real Superbird as a template to complete the look.

Here's a pic of a Coronet with the Barracuda back glass. Just missing the diamonds which would make it look more correct in my opinion. That and the glass could be placed about an inch lower.  
This is just an idea for future Superbird cloners.  All steel, real glass and stainless trim.
first vega's now you cloners are sacrificing cuda's too   when will it end   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:  and we cant forget 70 coronet & charger front ends 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

dreamcatcher

Well this is my first go at it.But I don't really like the lexan either.It is thin and flimsy.I did find out that you can make your own stainless trim out of 70 charger rear window trim.You wind up with one more overlap when done.Ted Janak told me a little about doing it this way and I have the parts.So guess I will give it a go.I don't think there are too many superbird rear windows out there.I am going to try to use the clips and fit the trim before putting the window in place. :eek2:

hotrod98

The trick is to get the clips in and not have them leak. You may need to pop rivet the clips into the fiberglass since I don't think the regular clip screws will hold into the fiberglass. I'm not sure what sealant to use along with the pop rivets. Don't use silicone since it shrinks. Maybe 3M window weld. Then maybe seal the back sides as well.
To get the whole thing to go in correctly, install the clips, tape the edges of the glass and lay it in the channel. Then install the moldings. Then from the inside, push the glass up against the moldings and that will give you an idea of how thick you want the sealant. I suggest the 3M ribbon butyl. Too low and the moldings will have a large gap. Too high and you'll never get the moldings to slide behind the clips and hold.
You can do it.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams