News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is the a 431 a better engine than a 496?

Started by Hudson Hornet !, April 03, 2010, 12:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

I figured I would start out with that headline to get some attention. My block (383) is FINALLY ready to go, and I have decided on using a 440 source stroker kit for my build. I have the two aforementioned choices: 431 or 496. At first blush the 496 sounds like a no brainer, but when you start comparing apples to apples, the 431 starts to shine.
First off the 431 has a better rod/stroke ratio. It also uses 440 rods and is similar to most 451's that are built, only a little smaller. The crank will put less stress on the block( 3.75 vs. 4.25 stroke) , and it should last as long as a 440. The 496 on the other hand has a pretty big stroke for a b block, uses chevy 2.200" rods, and has a less than desireable rod/stroke ratio.

Am I nuts to think the 431 might be a better choice? The car is a 68 charger, 4-speed, with 3.55 gears. I am looking for a hot street motor that will have a nice long happy life, but still pin me back hard when I feel like being a hot shoe. 

Also, If I pick the 431, would performer rpm's or indy ez1' be a better choice, or should I wait for those new Edelbrock xtremes?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. I'm going nuts trying to decide!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

idahogrumpy

I personally like the bigger crank. Lotsa torque. Beware of the rod side clearance on the 440 source kits. Our 470 required a bunch of chamfering of the rod bearings because of the crank chamfer to make it right. The 383 block is a pretty stout piece and if  assembled correctly will live a long time.  :Twocents:Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

Challenger340

Tough decision.
I guess it all comes back to WHAT you want ?

With the 4 speed, my preference goes with the smaller Engine as more versatile for the Street with the Eddy Heads, less "peaky" Trq than the 496, which can be problematic on Drivetrain parts useage with the Stick,
But,
I'm sure many will chime in with the benefits of the BIG ARM on INDY EZ heads, yada, Power, yada, Trq, yada, Same Cost, yada yada.

Personally, I got nuth'in against either, built literally DOZENS of both, although I don't like the 4.250 Arm for Street stuff, unless Pro-Street/More STRIP ?

All I'm saying is that the Customers who go 'bigger', usually end up "spending" BIGGER, on non-Engine realted stuff, Cooling, Exhaust, Broken D/Train Stuff, Fuel System delivery, etc., etc., which is all fine, if you are Mainly more concerned with Drag Performance and you expect it as part of the game.

just my  :Twocents:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Mike DC

If you're not compressing the snot out of the pistons, and you're not revving the snot out of the RPM dial, then I would just go with the bigger motor.  Some strokers are too big for the block but a 496" is usually not a problem for normal usage. 

Torque breaks driveline parts though.  If you insist on hooking up every bit of the power then you've got a challenge with the bigger motor.  (If it was mine I would just do the bigger motor and not try that hard to hook it.)