News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

493Charger is sold, good bye old friend

Started by *, December 10, 2005, 10:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runner

going fast is kind of a funny thing.   i have 2 friends, one with a high 10 second amc spirit race car, the other with a 9 second falcon. both of these guys kicked rods out the side of there motor. both guys have other cars, the amc guy has 2 VERY nice amx's oe of witch used to be the car he raced. the ford guy has a 428cj mustang that he used to race (as well as a pantera 2 other mustangs ect) .    neither of these guy will race anything but there race cars now, they find the other cars boring.      my roadrunner ate a cam earlier this year and while i was doing up my 452 i took my 68 satellite daily driver to the track and i had an absolute blast.    id race shopng carts if thats all i had!.

i have a 72 dart my wife bought and both these guys tried to talk mye into pulling the drive train out of my roadrunner, biulding a nice mellow engine for it and stuffing the roadrunners drivetrain in the dart.   but what they didnt relize is, i have no desire to have a "race car" i only race about 7 times a year so having a car that sucks up my wallet and i only get to enjoy a few times a year is a total waste for me. besides, it takes a pretty nast race car to impress anyone, while a good running street car will always garner more attension.

i guess my point is, everyones different so if getting a race car is what turns jims crank so be it. the thing that makes me think he screwed up was the title of this thread "good bye old friend" .   if you truely feel   this way you shouldnt have gotten rid of the car.          i guess thats why we have had our 71 for 21 years and we wont get rid of any of our other old mopars either,   unless i can talk my wife into getting rid of the damn dart she bought.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Jon Smith

Quotethe thing that makes me think he screwed up was the title of this thread "good bye old friend"
:iagree:

R2

QuoteBig Mistake....this is one you'll regret in the future ! Selling a car that nice just to go faster in something lighter is silly. Once you've made a few 10sec passes it'll feel normal. The when you've run some high nines you'll get used to that and it won't be any big deal. As they say the chase is better than the catch. 

Unfortunately you'll be out a very nice car while chasing the "big dream" and you'll come to regret it.  It's not my car but if i had the speedbug then i would've built a big inch motor for it or better yet looked around for an a-body roller and transplanted the drivetrain. 

Here's a 3900lb all steel 68r/t running 9.80's...all motor, full interior, caltracs/monoleafs and stock wheel tubs. It can be done !

:popcrn:

I was lucky enough to be able to keep my Charger,,,and pick up a "strip" only Belvedere.......

I would like to hear more details on the sale/transaction....ie,,,,How do you get it to Australia, how long does it take to get there,,,etc,,,,sounds wild that its going that far away........ :coolgleamA:

I hope you find a nice roller,,,, and lay down some numbers you like.......I am just getting heavy into the racing end of things....and its addictive...for sure....can never go fast enough...the Belve' should be good for mid to low 10's,,,,thats good for now...but wi'll see,,,,there is a certain firefighter I am trying to out run....lol  :nana:

Keep us posted on the new ride you get......... :icon_smile_wink:
R2

74Charger

Quote from: Nupe on December 11, 2005, 03:20:50 AM

Sorry to hear she is going away, but a new project will be fun!   Now is time to go ahead with what you really always wanted:   a third gen of course!   :musik010:

Third Gens are too fast for him! :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=E5B20D2E-372D-4200-8404-FC7A05245653&kw=34&p=44

JK!!   Hope your next car looks as good as the Charger!   And if not.  You can just throw Stephanie on it.   And then it will for sure!! :yesnod:
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

Brock Samson

Well it was your choice to make... I hope you got what it was actually worth... and you get what you want to replace it.

Headrope

Please post when you know what you want for your next car. I live in the South Sound area and run across rollers from time-to-time.
I'm always willing to help a fellow Mopar fan get pictures of Stephanie on his car - er, find his next project.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 493Charger on December 11, 2005, 01:57:07 AM
Quote from: AllBlueRT on December 11, 2005, 01:11:42 AM

So what is the next toy?  Building one or buying one done?

In order.....

1.) pre 71 Dart

2.) Duster earlier years

3.) E body

4.) All must be race rollers

5.) I wanna go fast

I will be building my next engine unless there is a sweet heart of a deal. I really like to now what I have going on in my engines.
Oh, one more important thing...... Stephaine will be posing on my next car.  :icon_smile_big:

Well, heck, if all you wanted was a pre-71 Dart, I could have gotten you two for a trade............ :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Highbanked Hauler

Sometimes you know you have to make some big changes in your life,can't explain it but you just know.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on December 11, 2005, 11:42:48 PM
Dime a dozen, dime a dozen...:   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-1967-Dodge-Dart-GT-Parts-Car-273-Auto-67-GTS_W0QQitemZ4595881248

Yes, the A body cars like the Darts are more common but I assure you that what ever I build will look above average and kick ass. I will not even look at a car like that one in Ebay.
In memory of Craig Denham 2005
-------------------

bull

1968 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA, FORMULA S FASTBACK, 340 Engine, 727 auto transmission, 8 3/4 rearend, power steering, pdb, ac, tint, frt swaybar, yellow w/tan interior, complete car less engine, great project car, real 340 Formula S car, $3950, 336-983-5167 or 336-983-6197, KING. E-Mail: COMBSE187@AOL.COM(336) 983-5167 $3,950   :yesnod:

Or http://www.mindeeskatfeld.com/croads/barracuda.html

4402tuff4u

Congrats on your sale! Sad to see a nice looking 68 being sold and a fast one! When I bought my 68 R/T I almost lost it to a guy in Australia. I wonder if it's the same guy. Good luck on your search for a new car.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Shakey

I enjoyed the videos you have posted for us.  Thanks and good luck!

greenpigs

My only advise, don't get something you will be afraid to cut up.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

RD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 11, 2005, 03:19:26 PM
Big Mistake....this is one you'll regret in the future ! Selling a car that nice just to go faster in something lighter is silly. Once you've made a few 10sec passes it'll feel normal. The when you've run some high nines you'll get used to that and it won't be any big deal. As they say the chase is better than the catch.   ;)

Unfortunately you'll be out a very nice car while chasing the "big dream" and you'll come to regret it. :image_294343: It's not my car but if i had the speedbug then i would've built a big inch motor for it or better yet looked around for an a-body roller and transplanted the drivetrain. :Twocents:

Here's a 3900lb all steel 68r/t running 9.80's...all motor, full interior, caltracs/monoleafs and stock wheel tubs. It can be done !   :devil:

Ron

I agree with ron, but also respect your decision.  after all, it is your car and you determine what you want and how you want to get it.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Blakcharger440

Darn it. I was hoping to see that car dip into the 10's. He was so close!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

sandmbmx88

Quote from: Mefirst on December 11, 2005, 03:57:34 PM
Im with Ron here. I think it was sad that you sold the Charger. You could have made her go fast.. I respect a guy more that builds a big inch engine and drops it into an almost full weight "street" car and does the 1/4 mile in 10sec, than someone who drives a tubbed out, tube chassies fiberglass body car that weighs about the same as a paperclip going at 8sec down the track...

...but then again you do as you like, I just hope youll be happy with the next car.. but what ever that car is, its wont be as cool as the green beast you sold...

My :Twocents:

/Tom

I disagree completely if you think the charger looks better than the dart he wants then so be it, then thats just a matter of opinion. but If he is looking to go fast and likes the a body-body style then thats what hes going to build, it is lighter but i dont believe he siad anything about a full chassis car. you can go as fast as you want to go with any car. heres my buddys mid 7 second outlaw mustang.

this car wieghs 3400lbs and the only fiborglass thing is the hood. the car has power locks and power sunroof and a cd player with an ipod. does he have huge tubs and big steamroller tires? no its on true 10.5 inch slicks!

his 2nd gen charger is obvoisly worth more money and would problably make for a better liked show car than his future a body but if thats not what he wants to do then thats not the right way to do it, no need to discourage him for it.  i say good look with your new project 493, im building a 72 duster street/strip car right now and a later 60's dart would have been my second choice.

firefighter3931

Quote from: sandmbmx88 on December 13, 2005, 07:39:24 PM
Quote from: Mefirst on December 11, 2005, 03:57:34 PM
Im with Ron here. I think it was sad that you sold the Charger. You could have made her go fast.. I respect a guy more that builds a big inch engine and drops it into an almost full weight "street" car and does the 1/4 mile in 10sec, than someone who drives a tubbed out, tube chassies fiberglass body car that weighs about the same as a paperclip going at 8sec down the track...

...but then again you do as you like, I just hope youll be happy with the next car.. but what ever that car is, its wont be as cool as the green beast you sold...

My :Twocents:

/Tom

I disagree completely if you think the charger looks better than the dart he wants then so be it, then thats just a matter of opinion. but If he is looking to go fast and likes the a body-body style then thats what hes going to build, it is lighter but i dont believe he siad anything about a full chassis car. you can go as fast as you want to go with any car. heres my buddys mid 7 second outlaw mustang.

this car wieghs 3400lbs and the only fiborglass thing is the hood. the car has power locks and power sunroof and a cd player with an ipod. does he have huge tubs and big steamroller tires? no its on true 10.5 inch slicks!

his 2nd gen charger is obvoisly worth more money and would problably make for a better liked show car than his future a body but if thats not what he wants to do then thats not the right way to do it, no need to discourage him for it.  i say good look with your new project 493, im building a 72 duster street/strip car right now and a later 60's dart would have been my second choice.

Sand...you forget where you are ? This is a Charger board, not a racing board, lol ! I think you're missing the point. The Charger could have been made to go fast but 493 gave up and that's his choice to make. With a little work and proper parts selection he could have had his 10 second ride and still owned a badass Charger. Tom's point about doing it in a full weight b-body is right on the money ! Anyone can slam a 440 into an a-body and run 10's...that's no great feat. I don't mean to sound critical but i've got a feeling that this decision will be second guessed (and regretted) in the future. I've seen it happen before.   ;)

Put it this way : I'd rather go 12's in a Charger than 7's in a rustang   :icon_smile_big: Little cars with big motors don't do a thing for me, but then again i'm a Charger Freak and allways will be.   :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

R2

sandmbmx88

Sand...you forget where you are ? This is a Charger board, not a racing board, lol ! I think you're missing the point. The Charger could have been made to go fast but 493 gave up and that's his choice to make. With a little work and proper parts selection he could have had his 10 second ride and still owned a badass Charger. Tom's point about doing it in a full weight b-body is right on the money ! Anyone can slam a 440 into an a-body and run 10's...that's no great feat. I don't mean to sound critical but i've got a feeling that this decision will be second guessed (and regretted) in the future. I've seen it happen before.   ;)

Put it this way : I'd rather go 12's in a Charger than 7's in a rustang   :icon_smile_big: Little cars with big motors don't do a thing for me, but then again i'm a Charger Freak and allways will be.   :devil:

Ron
i hope im not informing you that there are dodge charger racecars :icon_smile:. until the forumn name is made more specific theres going to be everything from late model chargers to full resto chargers to full chassis racecars. is 493's goal to have a 10 second car? maybe he siad it before but i dont see anywere were he siad that. fact of the matter is you can go faster in an a body than you can in a charger. did you know theres people out there that accually like darts and a and e bodys better than the beloved 2nd gen chargers!? :icon_smile_wink: i understand were your opinion sits and thats one thing, but being close minded to other ideas is a wholenother thing.  I think id take a 1700+whp mustang that can be driven on the street for fun over a  some guys 12 second charger if that car ran its class this year it would have been close or beaten its class record the car is one of a kind because some 23 year old kid put his heart and soul into it. Id take a mean all black GN over a 12 second charger too. i also like 442's id much rather have any 60's max wedge car or a t/a challanger or a factory superstock hemi dart maybe i just want to experience all life has to offer :yesnod: instead of being stuck on one thing becuase its more rare or has a higher resale value or the majority of people like it better. like i siad if thats your all time favorate car and your living your dream then thats the end of the discussion. but its not mine. 

I have a charger and its not the desired 2nd gen. but i liked it, truthfully i dont like the way any charger looks as a race car. to me it doesnt look right. if i had a 2nd gen charger i would make it a fast cruiser but i wouldnt ever build a full race car out of one. thats just my opinion though. anyways i had my charger and i liked it, it was my first car and when i was looking for my first car i knew i wanted an old dodge muscle car and this one was in my price range, i originally wanted a 70 though. i got tired of the 318 extremely fast.  i wanted to go fast on a budget, i broke the budget but not the e.t i wanted. ive always liked a bodys and fast cars in general, but i decided it was time to start a new project with alot more knowlage and a fresh template.  Now im sure 493 had his reasons for doing what he did, like maybe he doesnt feel as strongly about the b body as you do. its possible he thought it would be a good place to start for a drag car but found out he could have made a better choice i dont know im just bringing up possible scenarios. all im saying is that i dont think its right to assume he will be sorry for his decision and make negative comments like that. thats my opinion and he has his and you have yours.
-joe

Troy

I think I've stated on multiple occasions that if I seriously wanted to go fast in a straight line (or especially in curves) I wouldn't handicap myself by starting with a Charger. I love Chargers and they are fast cars but to be competitive you have to take every advantage that you can - or make a lot of sacrifices. I also know that some racers think they can make anything go fast and some actually pull it off but I'd rather see Jim having fun in a seriously fast Dart (or even a Mustang) than to hack up a Charger R/T and still be fighting to make it go faster. It's a lot of work so starting with a platform more suited to racing is a smart choice and the Charger can stay intact. Looking at it either from a purely physics or a monetary viewpoint it makes sense. It would be nice to have two cars but that's a personal decision. Of course, I see most race cars as gutted piles of trash when their career is over so forgive me if I don't want to see another Charger put through that. Maybe if it was a 69 or 70 instead of a 68... :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

6pkrunner

Everyone has a speed recipe and everyone has their own opinion on how best to accomplish this for themselves. Good luck on the Dart 493 - hope it pans out.