News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's your closest call you walked away from?

Started by GTX, December 10, 2005, 11:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Big Lebowski

Ok this is easy...14" tires, Dana rear, 440 4-speed + rain = spin-out. :icon_smile_big:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

ck1

I rolled my Tie-oh-ta pickup truck upside down on the frozen mill pod here in Snoqualmie were I live back in 1988 and got out just before the top half broke through the ice, which would have trapped me for sure in the truck.
Took a head first dive while skiing going off about a 60 foot Cliff while doing avalanche control work at snoqualmie pass hearing and feeling every vertebra crack in my back, thought for sure I was gonna be paralyzed.
While hunting about 8 years ago had a cougar sneak up behind me with in about 30 feet ready to pounce, turned at the last possible moment and had just enough time to fire off a shot scarying him away :errr:
CJK

andy74

Quote from: ck1 on December 13, 2005, 10:00:36 AM
I rolled my Tie-oh-ta pickup truck upside down on the frozen mill pod here in Snoqualmie were I live back in 1988 and got out just before the top half broke through the ice, which would have trapped me for sure in the truck.
Took a head first dive while skiing going off about a 60 foot Cliff while doing avalanche control work at snoqualmie pass hear and feeling every vertebra crack in my back, thought for sure I was gonna be paralyzed.
While hunting about 8 years ago had a cougar sneak up behind me with in about 30 feet ready to pounce, turned at the last possible mount and had just enough time to fire off a shot scarying him away :errr:
HOLY SHIT!

my73charger

When I was 22 I t-boned a car doing 45 on my motorcycle.  A little old lady pulled right out in front of me and I was on a through street. :flame:  I didn't even have time to hit the brakes.  I flew about 75 feet or at least skidded that far after impact.  I was not wearing a helmet, I did however have a leather jacket, which saved my upper body from rash, but my legs looked like hamburger cause I was stupid and put on corduroy Levis that morning.  I didn't break anything but I had a severe concausion and messed up both my knees and ankles.  I do not remember the impact, when I came to I was already in the ambulance.  I was on a backboard with both legs in splints and was wearing a neck brace (they took extra care cause I was laying on my legs in such a way they thought both were broken).  I didn't know who I was or why I was there for about 5-10 minutes.  I remember the pain and the fear.  Scary stuff.  That was back in 1988.  I am pretty sure I was flipping the old lady the bird as I flew over her windshield though....Oh yeah, and I went and bought a Triumph Bonneville 750cc with my insurance money.

I am older and wiser now, I sold the Triumph and bought my Charger.  :icon_smile_big:

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

RD

closest call:

doing 110 in my charger and passing cars franatically because i was 16 and invincible.  I start to pass these cars and the car up ahead in my lane is turning left, so i hit my brakes, lose control sliding back and forth, go across the oncoming traffic hit the ditch sideways, go up over the road that the car was turning left on sideways and airborne and land on the other side in the ditch.  Car dies, i almost pissed my pants.  Start the car up and take off the other direction before the cops show up.  Got the car home and looked for damage.  Just a piece of wheel trim chrome got hurt, that was it.  Gotta love ma' mopar and the way she built her cars.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

triple_green

In 1983 I was the manager of a small bank. I had a drug "juiced" guy hold a gun to my head for 10 minutes. When he decided I wasn't moving fast enough he "rapped" me across the back of the head with the butt of his gun.

I was afraid of my shadow for the next week or so....but I got over it (and left the banking business).

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

dodgecharger-fan

Closest call I ever had was winter driving in my Plymouth Sundance.  :rotz:

Motoring along the highway - two lanes in each direction - at a good clip in traffic with no problems.
Then a third lane opens up to the left (they were in the process of widening the whole highway).

So, I start to make the lane change, but the new lane was full of slush. For those of you in the more northern areas, this is the kind of slush that builds up between lanes and is an absolute bear to drive through to change lanes. You know the kind that grabs your tires and tries to steer you. Well, this new lane was full of it at this point becuase it hadn't been well travelled at this time of the day.

When I got into the slush, I kept going left even when I wasn't steering that way anymore.
I was headed towards the concrete barrier that divided the highway. Just angling toward it, not directly at it.

I didn't want to steer too hard to the right because that'd be right about the time that my tires caught traction. So, I kept feathering the wheel over a bit at a time. It was working, but not fast enough. I wasn't headed towards the barrier as quickly, but I was still drifting over that way.

I checked my mirrors and found that I was pretty much alone at this point. I think people behind me saw what was happening and backed off.
I only looked for a second, but to this day I still remember the image of the traffic back there.
So, I cranked the wheel, stomped the brakes for a quick shot and then stomped the gas. I don't know what made me stomp the brakes first, but I did.
That got me spun about 90 degrees to the right and headed across the 3 lanes but sliding forward.

Eventually I moved out of the slush and my tires got some traction. Of course I wasn't facing in the right direction at this point. I ended up spinning once more at about the centre lane and then around again to end up facing traffic.....

on the right shoulder of the road...... completely onto the shoulder but just out of the right hand lane..

to a full stop just as a transport truck blew by me in the right hand lane.

The car stalled. I sat for a minute and caught my breath.
I started the car back up and turned around on the shoulder and continued the commute to work.

Shakey

Going to the races at Michigan International Speedway a number of years back, myself and 5 other guys took a 30' RV over the border - loaded!

When we were going through US Customs they asked "how much alcohol was on board" and my buddy driving, Chief, shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know".  When the customs agent informed him, "as the driver of the vehicle it is his responsibility to know this", Chief looked at us and said "who the fuck does this guy think he is"? 

That was it, they parked us.  It was 1:00 AM, we had 11 cases of beer, 9 40 oz'ers, an ounce of grass and an ounce of coke - we all sobered up pretty quick!  Chief was the only one that was sober as he was our designated driver for the 6 hour trip.  When the agents boarded the RV with their flashlight shining in our eyes they assesed the situation and told us that we had to pay a $16.00 USD fine, or duty, as we had too much alcohol for the number of passengers on board.  We paid the fine and left.  We were all white as ghosts for the next 4 miles.

Chryco Psycho

Lowprofile

Um.......I think the photo says it all.  :icon_smile_shock: :image_294343: :puke:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

charger490

two head on crashes one with my 68 charger 1 and 1/2 years old that i bought in 1968.other one driving my gasoline truck. saw him coming pulled over hoping he would miss me but he did not. he hit me at 105 miles per hour went under the front end and bumper went into the windshild and killed him.had a bottle  3/4 gone  drunk blood was 3 . i have been hit 5 times with drunk drivers charger490
ps i was not hurt

my73charger

chrisII

i will add a pic of one of my more spectacular race car crashes, back in 99..i raced the car the next week, won the feature

ck1

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 15, 2005, 02:52:42 AM
I dated a redhead once too
wheu, "Thanks"  I was almost thinking on asking one out but you reminded me just how dangerous they could be.  I got hit in the head with a metal lunch box from a red head in grade school and I didn't even say anything to here ???  I told my mom later when i went home with a big bleeding bump on my head and she said, "sound like she has a crush on you"  :icon_smile: I stayed away from red head ever since...........still remember her name, Heather :-[
CJK

bad1032

April 15 2005 850 am going on Police motorcycle to a fellow officers funeral who was killed on his personal bike, 1/4 from church when a frickin idiot in a Volvo comes across 3 stopped lanes of traffic in front of me, Wham i hit the front of his car, fly into the a pillar and take out the windshield, fly over the roof and land in the middle of the roadway, Well, wake up cant breath, arm hanging limp. Helicopter ride to the hospital for 4 broken ribs, 3 in several places, collapsed lung, broken back, broken arm, concussion. Glad i had on leather jacket, and listened to mom about clean underwear, week in hospital come home only to find out frickin Dr only plated and screwed one bone in my arm, so the next day off to have emergency surgery for the bone sticking thru the skin on my arm, couple weeks later go for an xray of the chest. Low and behold end up in the hospital for another week  for blood clots in my lungs. kinda been a sucky year. Please watch out for the motorcycles out there. some year the 69 will get out of the garage.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: bad1032 on December 19, 2005, 05:47:35 PM
Glad i had on leather jacket, and listened to mom about clean underwear,
:smilielol:
Seriously though, that sucks Man, I wouldn't wish a bad bike crash on anyone.

A couple years ago, a friend & I were blasting down a local canyon road on our bikes, I was leading. I entered a nice smooth left handed sweeper turn, with my tires not far away from the center line & I'm leaned over pretty good. There was a bunch of trees on the opposite shoulder, obstructing the view from further than about 100 feet.
Suddenly, a Kenworth (or some other big truck) came barreling around the corner the opposite direction...HALFWAY IN MY LANE! HOLY CRAP!!! :errr:

The truck driver cranked hard on the wheel, as I stood the bike up for a second, until I was almost out of road, then leaned it over hard...right at the shoulder of the road. I'm so lucky that there wasn't much gravel on that shoulder, otherwise I would have gone down for sure...but I'd much rather have taken my chances there on the shoulder, than to have frozen & been a big grille ornament.

Ironically, it was only 2 or 3 weeks later that I heard of someone who did just that...a big grille ornament...on a straight stretch of road, no less!! :image_294343: Only, he was riding double-up with his female & no, neither one of them made it.