News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 "Cali"fornia Car 440 stock build ......... DYNO RESULTS

Started by PocketThunder, April 09, 2010, 11:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

So i bought my Charger out of southern California at the end of last summer.  :ricky: See here for reference if you'd like:  

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60095.0.html

Then it sat for the fall while i finished building my detached garage for it,  :smash: here is that thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,56750.0.html

Then about mid winter it was time to pull the engine and get it off to the engine builder.  I had enough money saved up to get a good start and i wanted to beat the spring rush guys to the engine shop.  So in February i pulled the engine out and off to the shop it went.  The snow was about 2 feet deep in my yard and i had to build a cradle for the block and put it on a 1/2 sheet of plywood for a sled.  Then i took the snowblower and made a path out to the street.  Then i rounded up the neighbors and we pushed and pulled it out to the street and i got it loaded up in my spouses mini-van.  I dont have a truck, just a wimpy puddle jumper comuter car.   :-\  I would rather have "Charger money" every month instead of a truck payment. :Twocents:

The engine builder knocked it down and found that the previous owner had cut out the valley pan in the center to make way for a NOS system.  He plumbed in NOS lines into the intake and neatly routed them under the intake and out the back.  The valey pan was duct taped and coated with blue silicone.  That blue stuff was all over inside the engine.  This intake will not be going back on.  I will be using the stock intake that came with the car so i can put the stock A/C system back on.

The heads were not seated completely in the bottom center either, you can see in the pictures where the gasket is not fully compressed.  This engine did run when i bought it and i drove it a few miles when i picked it up.  There was a small knocking sound that we couldnt figure out.  That will all be fixed now.  Anyways, here are a ton of pictures of the re-build so far.  The engine is being assembled today and it will go on the dyno later next week.  Then back into my Charger on Saturday of next week!

Oh and about the build.  The cam was a hemi cam that was way to big for the springs that were in the heads.  I am re-using the .030 over cast pistons, we bought new valves, springs, guides, etc...  I will post up all the specs on the engine once i get the dyno results from my builder so you can read exactly what went into this build and then maybe Ron can move this thread to the proven engine section after i get dyno results.

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

;)
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

:o

PocketThunder

All cleaned up getting mag tested.

PocketThunder

More mag testing.  Every checked out Great!  :cheers:

PocketThunder

:popcrn:

PocketThunder

All numbers matching..   :yesnod:

PocketThunder

Oil pump is a little worn out.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

PocketThunder

Tap out all the threads.   :yesnod:

PocketThunder

Time for block hone.   :icon_smile_big:

PocketThunder

:2thumbs:

PocketThunder

New arp bolts.   Final Hone.

PocketThunder

Cut connecting rods for reconditioning.  and new Parts!

PocketThunder

Crank reground.  New valves cut to perfection.  Valve guide work.

PocketThunder

:popcrn:

PocketThunder

And finally we are up to speed with today.  So i hope to have more to add next week.

Paul

tan top

some motor work going on there  :yesnod:    matching #s  also  :coolgleamA: :drool5: ...... :'(

looks like some dudes been there before , don't look like stock pistons  :shruggy: :popcrn:

good lot of pictures Paul , looking forward to more updates ,   :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

PocketThunder

Quote from: tan top on April 09, 2010, 12:01:37 PM
some motor work going on there  :yesnod:    matching #s 
looks like some dudes been there before , don't look like stock pistons  :shruggy: :popcrn:

also  :coolgleamA: :drool5: ........  :'(

good lot of pictures Paul , looking forward to more updates ,   :popcrn: :2thumbs:

thats right, i forgot to mention the engine was rebuilt once back in the early 80's.  Thats when it was punched .030 over.

PocketThunder

Block and heads were decked yesterday.  As well as debur the block.  My engine builder will finish with prep today and start assembly!  I'm going down there at lunch tomorrow to drop off my carb for the dyno run scheduled for later this week.  :ricky: :boogie: :boogie:

PocketThunder

:cheers:

PocketThunder

:2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Looking good Paul. Nice work getting rid of that ugly casting flash  :2thumbs:

Have you measured how far those pistons are below deck ? Calculated compression ratio yet ?

That's important stuff ; especially when selecting the cam  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

PocketThunder

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 12, 2010, 11:32:31 AM

Have you measured how far those pistons are below deck ? Calculated compression ratio yet ?

Ron

I'm going there right now over my lunch hour, i'll ask and report back what i find out.  I do remember him saying that he couldnt cut the deck down very far because the pistons dont have indentations for the valves.  I'll get all the details on the build though and post up when i get back.

firefighter3931

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 12, 2010, 11:36:53 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 12, 2010, 11:32:31 AM

Ron

I'm going there right now over my lunch hour, i'll ask and report back what i find out.  I do remember him saying that he couldnt cut the deck down very far because the pistons dont have indentations for the valves.  I'll get all the details on the build though and post up when i get back.

Cool....get a piston to deck measurement & combustion chamber volume. Then we can figure out your static compression and make sure you're headed in the right direction with the cam choice.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ponch ®

Looking good, bro!  :2thumbs:

When that thing is done I might just have to fly out to MN to get a ride in it (and for Vainglory to show me around the local strip joints).
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West