News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage Race Car

Started by wingman(22), April 15, 2010, 12:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingman(22)

Yes the car is probably worse than mine. I have waited for years and no car. I think I will do the Hylton car if he doesn't change his mind. He did tell me he just wanted enjoy it for a couple of years and he would let e ha ve.But you never know people. So I dont hold my breath. I have bought a 70 charger to do a clone of y dads car. I think I can do it before I can do the Hylton car. We will have to see how it goes.

Mike DC

If this car in the thread had started out as a 1971/72 body then it would not have called for any serious widening to put the current 73/74 body onto it.  So it had to exist with a 68/70 bodystyle on it.  Unless it was a short-track-only chassis then it almost certainly wore a Bird skin at some point. 

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 24, 2010, 02:40:55 PM
If this car in the thread had started out as a 1971/72 body then it would not have called for any serious widening to put the current 73/74 body onto it.  So it had to exist with a 68/70 bodystyle on it.  Unless it was a short-track-only chassis then it almost certainly wore a Bird skin at some point.  
Because it has a drivers side torsion bar adjuster bolt inside the car, it is not a new for 1971 build.   That was not legal for GN racing starting in 1971.

The rocker panels on 1971 B-bodies cars are wider.  But not a whole lot wider.    For example the #88 Daytona when rebodied to a 1971 style body, they just pulled the bottom of the quarter panels in to meet the original 1969 rocker panels.    It was not necessary to modify the door side bars of the cage.

Quite a few Nichels cars ran their entire careers without a Daytona or Superbird body.    Even if this car remains undocumented, it would be OK to body it as a wing car,  but you might not be able to say whose car it was, or whether it was a Dodge or Plymouth.

Mike DC

BTW - What did they do about the passenger side T-bar in cases like this?  There's only the one driver side adjuster in the cabin. 

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 26, 2010, 10:42:15 PM
BTW - What did they do about the passenger side T-bar in cases like this?  There's only the one driver side adjuster in the cabin. 
The passenger side torsion bar setting is fixed unless you go under the car.   The drivers side is just a wedge adjustment like a modern Cup car has.    Chrysler had a "cookbook" of suspension setups, so if you used the recommended settings for a given track, you would be pretty close.    The drivers side adjustment made it easy to go through inspection, fudge a little during the race, and adjust it back if needed.