News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ballooning Torque Converter problem

Started by joflaig, July 22, 2010, 02:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

Well, I finally have my car back together and had the shop take it over to be put on the chassis dyno. It only made 400 hp at the rear wheels, about 100 short. It's putting out 658 hp at the crank. They pulled the tranny and it looks like the the TQ was rubbing on some bolts which indicates it was ballooning.

The build details are here: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62316.25.html

The TQ is a 10" Street "S-800" Series Turbo Action Torque Converter (Tight) Part #17805ST. Before the build I had asked Paul at Turbo Action for his advice. He said it should work with the new combo, but try and see. The heads are actually making a bit more power than I thought they would. I don't think the addition of the overdrive or the Dana 60 would account for such a drop at the rear wheels. Ron had mentioned that Dynamic makes a 9.5" street/strip convertor.

Anyway, the tranny is going over to a local shop that builds their own TQs and are well known for race applications. We'll see what they say. I hope in the limited running we did there was no damage to the internals of the tranny!

John_Kunkel

I assume the flexplate-to-crank bolts are what's rubbing, did you check the clearance before installation?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

joflaig

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 22, 2010, 05:37:23 PM

I assume the flexplate-to-crank bolts are what's rubbing, did you check the clearance before installation?

I think that's right. The TQ is what was in there from before and used for a year and a half. Because it rubbed those bolts they think there was ballooning.

John_Kunkel

I have seen some converters rub the flexplate bolts when brand new, has to do with the bowl radius. That's why I asked if it was checked prior to installation, shoving the converter against the installed flexplate and turning it will sometimes show bolt head bowl contact; some washers between the plate and the drive lugs will allow the bolts to clear.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Challenger340

I've had good luck when checking on install, by bottoming the Convertor in the Trans, then checking the distance between the Flexplate and Convertor mounting Lugs ?

Dunno if it's "right", but I look for .100" space, before pulling the Convertor forward against the plate and installing the Bolts ?

That .100" has served me well as my own "rule of thumb", again, I duuno if it's correct according to specs ?

That .100" is my safety for expansion when I HEAT the Convertor(expand) ?

It's served me well with over 720hp(dyno'd) on tap with Turbo Action Convertors, never had a problem, and I think I was abusing them pretty good Street Racing & Strip time ?

I'm also wondering, if the Trans Fluid Pressure could merely be "pushing" the Convertor forward, rather than it "Ballooning", bending the Flexplate in operation causing the Bolts to rub ?

Bob out.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

joflaig

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 24, 2010, 12:33:18 PM
I've had good luck when checking on install, by bottoming the Convertor in the Trans, then checking the distance between the Flexplate and Convertor mounting Lugs ?

Dunno if it's "right", but I look for .100" space, before pulling the Convertor forward against the plate and installing the Bolts ?

That .100" has served me well as my own "rule of thumb", again, I duuno if it's correct according to specs ?

That .100" is my safety for expansion when I HEAT the Convertor(expand) ?

It's served me well with over 720hp(dyno'd) on tap with Turbo Action Convertors, never had a problem, and I think I was abusing them pretty good Street Racing & Strip time ?

I'm also wondering, if the Trans Fluid Pressure could merely be "pushing" the Convertor forward, rather than it "Ballooning", bending the Flexplate in operation causing the Bolts to rub ?

Bob out.

I guess I'll find out next week when the word comes from the tranny shop.