News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340ci vs 360ci SB performance engines

Started by Axels73Charger, April 24, 2010, 04:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axels73Charger

What about boring the 318 into a 340 or 360 then doing what the article says? Could I get more hp? Im just wondering. So can I make a 318 into a 340 by boring it over and buy crank, headers, etc?
Done some growing up. Not going to do much on this account tho. Doesnt fit the more mature me.

elacruze

Quote from: Axels73Charger on May 01, 2010, 10:07:41 PM
What about boring the 318 into a 340 or 360 then doing what the article says? Could I get more hp? Im just wondering. So can I make a 318 into a 340 by boring it over and buy crank, headers, etc?

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/318-stroker-kit-mopar-318-5.2-stroker-kits.php

Check prices. Economy says "find a low-mileage 360".

Now, if you're like me, you'll ignore that advice and search out cheap parts for a 'greasy sleeper' build. I'm not adding any cubic inches.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Axels73Charger

I guess that makes sense. I want to first buy the car. It will most likely be a 318 project car. Then make it streetable again. Get some cheap horses out of it THEN maybe go for a 360. It would be pretty cool to have 400+ horses out of a 318 and drive around with it. But one thing at a time. Maybe i'll find a Charger that doesnt have a engine or trans and then buy a 360 for it. I've seen 2 318 cars without engine. The cars were in good condition too.
Done some growing up. Not going to do much on this account tho. Doesnt fit the more mature me.

chargd72

Quote from: oldrock on April 30, 2010, 09:54:42 PM
we just finished doing a full rebuild on my son's number matching 318 in his 72 charger. We did the full deal including machine work and all parts for under a grand. THe machine shop guy cranked the numbers and said we should be looking at around 300hp and over 300ft lbs of torque. Not a speed demon but a fun street driver. We had to chase down a major gremlin on our electricals after the engine install but now that we have it all sorted out, very happy with the upgrade.

What all was done?  :popcrn:

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

oldrock

What we did on my son's 318 was have the engine totally stripped down to bare block and cleaned/inspected. Once it got a clean bill of health, the shop installed a complete rebuild kit in it. We ended up going 20 over on the pistons. We went with a mild performance cam since we were mainly wanting a nice running pump gas motor with lots of torque. I don't have all the grind numbers on the cam but it speced out at around 290hp and 320ft lbs of torque with our setup which was fine. To get the big 400 range numbers would have cost us alot more $$$. The machine shop also did basic performance stuff while rebuilding such as port/polish job, etc while they were in there. In addition we swapped out the factory 2 barrel intake for an edelbrock aluminum performer 4 barrel and a holley 650 doublepumper that we picked up used for $100 and rebuilt ourselves. Then we added a new mechanical fuel pump and regulator. The old tired point setup was swapped for an electronic ignition setup with a accel superstock coil. We are currently using the factory long tube headers although Josh wants to eventually upgrade to an all new large tube header setup.

Car has so much more power than stock it is like night and day. Josh loves the car now and told me he no longer wants to mess with finding a big block to swap out like he originally planned. I suspect alot of 318 owners would feel the same way once they drive the car with a rebuilt performance motor. If you plan on racing the car, sure a big block is great but for street use, a 318 can be plenty of power. With the new setup, Josh can smoke the tires off the line with no trouble.

the original setup ran but sure was ratty and not much power

new setup runs so much better with nice streetable power

Axels73Charger

You guys seem to be pretty fixed on the 318 fixing up idea so maybe i'll bit. So if I did go for more hp and torque should I get a 727 trans? Would/could that work? Or is it too big for a 318 pushing 300+ hp?

Axels73Charger

How many gears are in a 904? Is it a 4 or a 3 gear trans?

Axels73Charger

Is a 73 340 Charger Rallye worth more then a 74 360 Charger Rallye? Or are they about the same? I cant find any 74 360 Charger Rallye's but im just wondering. I saw too good condition 73 Charger Rallye's sell for 2200 and 3200. The first was #s matching and needed stock engine rebuild interior work and little body. The 3200 has rebuilt stock specs 340 ( cylinders are not over sized ) little interior work and little to no body work. So I may just earn as much money as I can and get a stock 340 Charger Rallye.

elacruze

Ok, somebody tell me what's up with that intake manifold...is it a trick camera angle, or is that a single-plane 2bbl manifold? If so, is it stock, or some unknown 'stock' class intake?  :scratchchin:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Quote from: Axels73Charger on May 03, 2010, 04:29:57 PM
You guys seem to be pretty fixed on the 318 fixing up idea so maybe i'll bit. So if I did go for more hp and torque should I get a 727 trans? Would/could that work? Or is it too big for a 318 pushing 300+ hp?

Don't worry about the trans, you'll be fine.
Don't worry about the fine points of cars you may or may not find-if you don't have a "Dream Car" then put your butt in the seat of whichever one comes through first with the right combination of $$ and readiness.
:Twocents:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Axels73Charger

Whats the mpg on the 340? I found a 73 340 and now im wondering stuff like that. I also found a 74 360 SE. Im gunna look at the rallye first then the SE. The 73 charger 340 is 2500 and the 74 charger SE 360 is 3000.

Challenger340

Quote from: Axels73Charger on July 24, 2010, 10:20:30 AM
Whats the mpg on the 340? I found a 73 340 and now im wondering stuff like that. I also found a 74 360 SE. Im gunna look at the rallye first then the SE. The 73 charger 340 is 2500 and the 74 charger SE 360 is 3000.

I getting around 18-20mpg on the Highway with my 340, in high gear at 65mph with 3.23 gears.

Dunno around town, I always beat it too hard to know for sure ?
However,
Rumpity Hydraulic stick, 230'ish @ .050", you'd probably do better with smaller Cam.
Only wimps wear Bowties !