News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd gen rear wheels

Started by twodko, April 26, 2010, 01:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Hey guys,

Time is drawing near to buy some wheels for my 69. They'll be Mag 500's, 15 x 7 or 8 in the front and I'd like to run 15 x 10's in the back. How realistic are 10's in the back especially with another couple in the backseat?
I'm thinking 5" BS but there was an excellent diagram on here several weeks ago showing exactly how to measure BS. A link to this diagram would be appreciated as well as opinions on 10's in the back. Thanks

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Hemidog

jaak

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Hemidog on April 26, 2010, 02:26:17 PM
15x10 with 5" backspace is the way to go.

http://vexer.com/68rt/old_outdated_badly_coded_old_old_old_wheelguide.html

Been reading that the 5.5" BS will work better on a 2nd gen....the link above confirms it as well.... :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

oestermarken

My '69 with 5.5 BS  :2thumbs:
/Brian

69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

twodko

Thanks Brian, your car is beautiful. What tire size do you run on those Mag500 15 x 10's?

Tom

oestermarken

Thanks Tom, Rear tires are 275/60/15
/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

Hemidog

twodko

Thanks Hemidog and for the link as well.

Tom

Hemidog

No problem, they guys might be right about the 5.5" BS, but I've had no problems with 5".
Besides, Centerline Convo Pro's didn't come in 5.5"

twodko

I really like the look of oestermarken's Charger, its the look we're after. Cheers

Tom

komninon

15x10
295-50-15
5  bs
perfect fit on my 68 :2thumbs:

Patronus

that link would be cool if it worked
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Hemidog

Silver R/T

I run 15x10's on the back. Not sure what backspacing they are though
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerST

I heard some people put 295s on 8" wheels. I prefer the 8" over 10" because in my eyes the 10" rims kinda look funny (too deep).

Hemidog

BFG lists 8" as the minimum wheel width, so it works,  but I think the wheel would look very "balloonish" for lack of a better word.

As for me, I LOVE the deep dish look!  :coolgleamA:

Brass

8" rims will work with 295/50/15's but I 've been told that isn't ideal.  A 15x10 will get more tread to the ground.  (Probably have less sidewall roll too.)  Also, from searching the forum, Vegasmike said his backspace on 15x10 rims is only 4.25, and his car looks awesome:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58484.0.html

Hemidog

4.25" BS with 15x10 wheels and 295/50 tires, and no rubbing?  :scratchchin:
Does he use SS-springs? Highjackers?

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: oestermarken on April 27, 2010, 11:15:56 AM
/Brian

Real nice tire/wheel combo. Is this a 8 inch rim? In that case you would have a positive 1 inch offset, am I correct?
thanks
69 charger RT

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: komninon on April 27, 2010, 04:00:09 PM
15x10
295-50-15
5  bs
perfect fit on my 68 :2thumbs:

Do you know how much clearance you have on each side of the tire?
69 charger RT

bull

Quote from: ChargerST on May 02, 2010, 01:24:29 PM
I heard some people put 295s on 8" wheels. I prefer the 8" over 10" because in my eyes the 10" rims kinda look funny (too deep).

I agree. I have 15x8s with 295-50-15s and I think they look better.

oestermarken

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on October 27, 2011, 10:49:21 PM
/Brian

Real nice tire/wheel combo. Is this a 8 inch rim? In that case you would have a positive 1 inch offset, am I correct?
thanks

It is a 10 inch rim with 5.5  inch back spacing.

/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

mysil bergsprekken

Ok, thanks. The tire looked like as if it didn't stick out enough to be on a 10inch rim. Do you have any more pictures of the car, for instance from the side and from the rear, showing clearances from the tire to the leaf springs and from the tire to the outher wheel well?
It would be much appreciated! I'm thinking about getting the same tire/wheel combination as you have. Thanks
69 charger RT

dangina

Quote from: oestermarken on November 01, 2011, 04:59:09 AM
My '69 with 5.5 BS  :2thumbs:
/Brian

It is a 10 inch rim with 5.5  inch back spacing.

/Brian

noticed your avatar - what rim is on the front ET? also what size? thanks

oestermarken

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on November 01, 2011, 05:14:04 AM
Ok, thanks. The tire looked like as if it didn't stick out enough to be on a 10inch rim. Do you have any more pictures of the car, for instance from the side and from the rear, showing clearances from the tire to the leaf springs and from the tire to the outher wheel well?
It would be much appreciated! I'm thinking about getting the same tire/wheel combination as you have. Thanks

I don't have any good pictures showing clearance, but the tires are close to be centered between the springs and wheel wheel lip. Under heavy load, I have a little tire rub on the outside but I'm sure that is because my leaf springs are worn out and soft. I have new HD springs laying on the shelf.

/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

oestermarken

Quote from: oestermarken on November 01, 2011, 04:59:09 AM
/Brian

thanks

It is a 10 inch rim with 5.5  inch back spacing.

/Brian

noticed your avatar - what rim is on the front ET? also what size? thanks

The wheel on my avatar is my old 14 inch slot mags with some some 215/something/14 tyres. A friend of mine has borrowed them for his 68 coronet, so I can't give you the ET at the moment.

/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

mysil bergsprekken

I don't have any good pictures showing clearance, but the tires are close to be centered between the springs and wheel wheel lip. Under heavy load, I have a little tire rub on the outside but I'm sure that is because my leaf springs are worn out and soft. I have new HD springs laying on the shelf.

/Brian
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Yep if you put heavy duty springs or there you would probably get rid of the rubbing hopefully. It might affect your rideheight in the back also since new springs are not that "soggy". I've heard about people putting longer shackles on the springs and even shackles that moves the springs inward. I don't see how moving them inward would help put a bigger tire in there because the springs are pretty much aligned with the inner wheel well. At least with no mods.

Anyway, how many inches (cm) is the clearance to the springs? could you have gotten away with a 6 inch backspacing?
69 charger RT

oestermarken

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on November 03, 2011, 05:55:27 AM

/Brian

Thanks for the info. Yep if you put heavy duty springs or there you would probably get rid of the rubbing hopefully. It might affect your rideheight in the back also since new springs are not that "soggy". I've heard about people putting longer shackles on the springs and even shackles that moves the springs inward. I don't see how moving them inward would help put a bigger tire in there because the springs are pretty much aligned with the inner wheel well. At least with no mods.

Anyway, how many inches (cm) is the clearance to the springs? could you have gotten away with a 6 inch backspacing?

I have approximately 2.5 cm clearance to the springs and 3.5 cm on the outside to the lip.

/Brian

69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic