News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

resetting odometer

Started by Silver R/T, May 02, 2010, 06:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

Are the clips between the #s supposed to slip over the edge of the metal frame?  If not, what are the positions these clips are supposed to be in?
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

A383Wing

the clips that are between the numbers are supposed to be on the metal frame...there is a slot in each tab on the numbers

ws23rt

Quote from: jeryst on May 06, 2010, 03:07:23 AM
Quote from: A383Wing on May 05, 2010, 08:00:25 PM
Hey jeryst...just drop it fer cryin' out loud...it's his car, he can do what he wants...bet a number of members here either installed another speedometer that did not match the OE odometer reading...

Go ahead, report us all...if it makes ya feel better. Our cars are over 30 to 45 years old...there is nothing anyone can do or prove that odometer was even turned back because records were not kept back that far

I have done it on 2 of my cars....report me also....want my name & address?

Why get belligerent with me just because I'm trying to convey some information? Or do you do that with everyone that doesnt share your own little view of the world?  I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I'm just saying what the law is. I'm allowed to do that. Last time I checked, this was supposed to be a forum where everyone can express their views. I could give a shit what you or anyone else does with your cars. I'm just saying that there are laws, and there are penalties, and anyone that does it should think about the consequences. I know a guy that got arrested for it, and it cost him a lot of money by the time it was all over with, and he wound up with a police record to boot. Luckily, he didnt get any jail time, but it affected him in other ways (probation, firearm ownership, job huntng, etc). True, he did it for monetary gain, but sometimes the reason doesnt matter. For example, the law doesnt care if you rob a bank because you want a new car, or you did it because you got 3 starving kids that need to eat, you are still going to jail if you do it.

The question was about how to reset the odometer.  

Are you one of those that are afraid to remove the do not remove tag on your mattress?

How many readers here do you think have not heard about selling a car with mileage misrepresented is just wrong.  (It's telling a lie)

BTW a law about this is a reminder that ripping someone off is bad behavior.  The letter of the law is something lawyers need to prove a point which some would not get otherwise.

JB400

The DMV usually marks the mileage as exempt on cars over 10 years old.  I see no big deal on resetting the odometer when these cars are this old.  Now, back in the day when these cars were new, and when that law was written, then I see the need for enforcing that law.

hemihead

The one factor I think everyone forgets in this discussion is that guys say " I'm never gonna sell it anyway ." but someday we all pass away and guess what ? That car will get sold . Then they say " I won't care because I won't be around ."  That's real nice for the next person that buys it . Besides , whatever family member that sells it is going to catch the heat from that sell .
  I don't see what the big deal is about showing how many miles a car has on it . Don't we buy these for the history ? Mileage is part of that history . IMO , if you want low mileage buy a low mileage car or buy a new one .
Be
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

fy469rtse

My car was a rolling shell when I got it , cluster was off ebay , speedo reading was probably right for the car it came out of, I have no way of knowing what miles my car had done , so what then
? Restored gauges and everything on this car, so it's like brand new in every aspect, so of course I have put it back to zero

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: A383Wing on December 21, 2013, 06:10:37 PM
the clips that are between the numbers are supposed to be on the metal frame...there is a slot in each tab on the numbers

I took apart another dash and see that now.  Do you know how to align the metal clips after setting the odometer to zero?  The clips seem to be fixed to the number cylinders.  Do you take the metal gear off of the end and slip the rod out?  If so, how do I do this without damaging the plastic cylinders?
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

A383Wing

just grab one of the metal tabs and roll the number next to it back to where you want, then grab & hold the next tab and roll that one back while holding the other one you just did...then grab the third one while holding the other 2....once you see how it works, it's real easy to change odometer readings

Calif240

Didn't Ferris Bueller show us how to roll the odometer back???    I'd say try that.  ;)

I rolled mine back. Very easy as described above. Car wasn't accurate when I bought it (speedo cable had broken many years before) and I'm doing a complete restoration. While it is technically illegal, no one is gonna care as long as you don't try to misrepresent it. Remember that technically your odometer is wrong if you've ever changed a rear gear to something different, had a broken speedometer cable, changed tire sizes from factory exact, and any other number of modifications along the drivetrain. Unless A) you sell it AND B) you lie about the POSSIBLE mileage that it could have then you're golden.

Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

A383Wing

I don't think you know how long it would take to roll odometer back using a drill motor....

about 1000 rpm on the drill motor spins about 60 mph from what I have read.....so at say 60 mph, how many hours, days. or years would it take to reset to "0" miles if your car had 50,000 miles showing? If it was over 50K, then you would just keep spinning it forward...

you can do the math...I don't have enough fingers to figure it out

UFO

Quote from: A383Wing on December 25, 2013, 05:28:46 PM
I don't think you know how long it would take to roll odometer back using a drill motor....

Actually it will not roll backwards you have to go forward with a drill.
I used a spare gauge and with a drill it was spinning at 132mph.Even at that speed it is a whole lot faster to disassemble and move them by hand.
Here there is a paragraph that states whether or not the odometer has gone beyond it's limits.
Ever see a speedometer with red tenths? That is what you got with a over the counter gauge.

A383Wing

they will roll backwards...at least my 66's speedometers will

Fitz73Chrgr

I have several odometers to play with.  The first one I rolled back with a drill from 5000 (105000) to zero in less than 10 mins.  I then finally figured out how to reset using the tab holding method (start on the left and work right).  The latter is much faster.

Resto thread:

UFO

Quote from: A383Wing on December 25, 2013, 08:57:43 PM
they will roll backwards...at least my 66's speedometers will

No kidding, Since the speedo needle did not work I reversed the drill.
I will have to try it again just for kicks.