News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trying electrolysis on hood

Started by General_01, May 08, 2010, 04:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 10, 2010, 06:45:39 PM
Quote from: tan top on May 10, 2010, 06:44:06 PM
this is intresting  :yesnod: :popcrn: 

+1 I hope it works.  I'll build a pool in my backyard and throw the charger in it.

:smilielol: :smilielol: :yesnod: :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

vancamp

so hows it doing? any pics of a shiny rust free hood or a lump of metal that used to be a hood.

General_01

It has been raining since yesterday, but I tipped it out of the pool to take a few pics. It is not rust free, but I am sure I would have gotten better results if I had not put a hole in the plastic and had to keep adding water and diluting the the mixture. I also put the battery charger in the garage yeasterday morning because it was raining. So it ran from about 3:00 Saturday until Monday morning.

I wiped off the rusty film. It looked like it worked well on the front of the hood, which had the most rust.

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

SFRT

why is this better than an hour with a 3m roloc  purple spaghetti on an electric grinder??
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

General_01

I didn't say it was better. I was kinda worried about how thin the metal might be at the front of the hood and this process won't allow me to "accidentally" put a hole in my hood. :icon_smile_big: It was just a neat experiment and I volunteered myself to be the ginea pig so others could see. Keep having fun with your grinder.

496 stroker
4-speed

tan top

looks like its sort of worked
what about putting less water in ! say just covering the hood :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

General_01

That might work better. We will see if I do it some more or not. If I do I have to fix the plastic so the mixture can remain constant.
496 stroker
4-speed

ZSmithersCharges

Yea I think the hole had a big impact.  That is very cool that you got some results though at all!  Now its just about fine tuning  :2thumbs: I was starting to wonder what you were going to do about rain as well.  Also, you look like an actor of sorts where have I seen you before  :scratchchin:

The question about the 3m answer:

The process of electrolysis for rust removal when done correctly causes no negative side effects to the metal at all.  It simply takes the rust off none of the metal beneath it.  I'm sure you can see why that would be quite valuable when trying to fix rust issues on one off pieces that would not be able to be replicated easily or with a high cost.  A few days to me to save a couple hundred bucks seems worth it in my opinion.  Especially since everything he used I have so making this would cost me not a dime.

MoparManJim

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 11, 2010, 05:20:59 PM
Yea I think the hole had a big impact.  That is very cool that you got some results though at all!  Now its just about fine tuning  :2thumbs: I was starting to wonder what you were going to do about rain as well.  Also, you look like an actor of sorts where have I seen you before   :scratchchin:

The process of electrolysis for rust removal when done correctly causes no negative side effects to the metal at all.  It simply takes the rust off none of the metal beneath it.  I'm sure you can see why that would be quite valuable when trying to fix rust issues on one off pieces that would not be able to be replicated easily or with a high cost.  A few days to me to save a couple hundred bucks seems worth it in my opinion.  Especially since everything he used I have so making this would cost me not a dime.

I think that is his brother in the photos? But he does also remind me of an actor, I just had the name on the tip of my tug to and lost it. I hate when that happens. 

Anyways, I'll be watching this thread as I like this kinda of stuff. I think with the plastice liner having the hole in it did cause a issue like ZSmith mention above. 

tan top

Quote from: General_01 on May 11, 2010, 05:10:29 PM
That might work better. We will see if I do it some more or not. If I do I have to fix the plastic so the mixture can remain constant.
yeah that might be the key to it ! same water  :yesnod:

:popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

Highbanked Hauler

I had a fender dipped to remove rust and they had it for 10 days total. It was 90% clean after 7 days so we let it go for the extra time. I have no idea what they used in the tank. :icon_smile_question:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Brock Lee

Quote from: MoparManJim on May 11, 2010, 05:32:51 PM
Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 11, 2010, 05:20:59 PM
Yea I think the hole had a big impact.  That is very cool that you got some results though at all!  Now its just about fine tuning  :2thumbs: I was starting to wonder what you were going to do about rain as well.  Also, you look like an actor of sorts where have I seen you before   :scratchchin:

I think that is his brother in the photos? But he does also remind me of an actor, I just had the name on the tip of my tug to and lost it. I hate when that happens. 

Anyways, I'll be watching this thread as I like this kinda of stuff. I think with the plastice liner having the hole in it did cause a issue like ZSmith mention above. 

I was thinking Oliver Stone

OneofNoneRT

Anybody trying this need to understand that the Bubbles that come from the part as it is "Cooking" is Hydrogen! Do not set this up in your shop without good ventilation.. :o

Electrolysis is generally line of sight..so if the electrode cannot "see" the area it will not clear it, so you may have to be creative on electrode placement..

obviously do not let the electrode touch your part it will short out and may harm your Charger..
If rebar Try putting it inside a PVC Pipe with holes cut in it( so it can "see").

Needs TRUE DC power.. Some Battery chargers use a poorly rectified AC And will not work as efficiently..

Uhmm.. I have been researching this a little..I want to set up a buisiness where I can dip the entire car In a large tank. I plan on reclaiming the hydrogen byproduct..
:shruggy:
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: OneofNoneRT on May 11, 2010, 07:42:29 PM
Anybody trying this need to understand that the Bubbles that come from the part as it is "Cooking" is Hydrogen! Do not set this up in your shop without good ventilation.. :o

Electrolysis is generally line of sight..so if the electrode cannot "see" the area it will not clear it, so you may have to be creative on electrode placement..

obviously do not let the electrode touch your part it will short out and may harm your Charger..
If rebar Try putting it inside a PVC Pipe with holes cut in it( so it can "see").

Needs TRUE DC power.. Some Battery chargers use a poorly rectified AC And will not work as efficiently..

Uhmm.. I have been researching this a little..I want to set up a buisiness where I can dip the entire car In a large tank. I plan on reclaiming the hydrogen byproduct..
:shruggy:

Sounds good to me.  I wonder what would happen if we fed hydrogen into our carbs?

On a larger note your looking at a pretty hefty power bill for the whole car I would think.  How would you go about setting up your electrodes?  Via plates throughout the car and around the tank to get LOS on all of the parts?  Would you use separate power sources or one very large one?  Will be doing this myself and would like to toss the idea ball back and fourth with you.  Not that you care to just something of interest to me.

OneofNoneRT

Since I would be offering this as a service. It would be setup very generic and easy to setup and change for differing vehicles and items.. I was thinking a large platform with varied holes in the bottom like a electronic circuit board without the circuits. It would be larger than the car itself., Just small enough to be lowered into the vat.  The holes perform 2 functions. 1 is to allow the (water) to penetrate as it is lowered in and the second is for the sacrificial electrodes to reside.... The car is placed on this Pad then the electrodes are positioned to get the best coverage once all is wired then the entire rig is picked and placed into the vat.. Now comes the harder to answer questions, like you said what will power this and be able to vary the current ?.. How long will it take? How well will this loosen remove paint and other contaniments?, How long will the ( water) last before it is to contaminated?, and 2 very big ones  the car is out and clean what can be easily put on the car to prevent flash rust and get back to customer as well as give them time to start work on it AND not contaminate whatever product they decide to go with. And finally How much to charge for this service... ALOT more research before I start investing in this setup, Its just an idea now, But i have the facility, with a 5 ton crane.. And this idea... :shruggy:
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

ZSmithersCharges

Well I don't think you would have such a large issue with stopping flash rust as you already have a soak tank for the electrolysis.  You could probably get away with using a dipping procedure like some shops do after an acid bath(I know they no longer us acid) in the same tank.  If you are worried about contamination you could make a second dipping booth.  However I really think dipping is your only option in this scenario because if done efficiently you will be removing rust from areas that will not be that easy to use spray on applications as they may not be fully accessible.  :scratchchin:  The power supply is a tough one I think you would have to draw up plans first and see what kind of electrodes/circuitry you will be using and then go from there.  I think it would make more sense to use a large supply unit on the sacrificial metal around the tank and a separate smaller unit to use for the plates you would be putting inside of the car as those areas are more selective and are subject to change in size.  Whereas, the outside plates will never change in size and would need to be rather large in any scenario to cover the whole car from side to side top to bottom front to back.

66FBCharger

Isn't this the same process that Redi Strip uses? When I had my parts dipped I asked about it. They told me they were dipping into Lye that they ran electricity through. It seems like the same process as has been demonstrated on this thread.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

ZSmithersCharges

Sounds like it!   I'm starting my experiments tonight.  Not with charger parts yet though so no pictures.

Ponch ®

doesn't vinegar do the same thing?

I saw it on Good Eats...Alton Brown dropped a rusty piece of metal into some vinegar and when he took it out hours (days?) later it was clean.  :scratchchin:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Troy

Quote from: Ponch ® on May 12, 2010, 12:38:28 PM

I saw it on Good Eats...Alton Brown dropped a rusty piece of metal into some vinegar and when he took it out hours (days?) later it was clean.  :scratchchin:
Yep. Works really fast on minor surface rust. I spray it on and wipe it with a clean cloth (won't be clean long) then wash it with water to neutralize it and blow it dry. I haven't let it sit for a long period of time or on heavy rust/pitting.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rav440

Quote from: Troy on May 12, 2010, 01:45:30 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on May 12, 2010, 12:38:28 PM

Yep. Works really fast on minor surface rust. I spray it on and wipe it with a clean cloth (won't be clean long) then wash it with water to neutralize it and blow it dry. I haven't let it sit for a long period of time or on heavy rust/pitting.

:2thumbs:

Troy

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Highbanked Hauler

So in theory  you could strip a lower control arm by putting it in a large plastic pail with enough vinegar  to cover it and in a few days it should be clean?? :popcrn:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Brock Lee

Careful of the vinegar fumes. It is corrosive, especially to platings like nickel (enough exposure and it will strip nickel down to the copper base). I use it to antique metal.

jeryst

If you hook up the electrodes backwards, will it make the part more rusty? -lol

Seriously, though, why not just have it media blasted with potassium? It's like soda blasting, but aggressive enough to remove rust,
without being aggressive enough to remove metal. At least that's what a blasting guy told me.

Or you can use this stuff...    http://strongarmsprays.com/SitePages/USAGES/

I've used it for years, and it is amazing. I always have a can around the garage.
You can spray it on bare metal, and it wont flash rust for years.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: jeryst on May 18, 2010, 06:44:30 AM
If you hook up the electrodes backwards, will it make the part more rusty? -lol

Seriously, though, why not just have it media blasted with potassium? It's like soda blasting, but aggressive enough to remove rust,
without being aggressive enough to remove metal.
At least that's what a blasting guy told me.

Or you can use this stuff...    http://strongarmsprays.com/SitePages/USAGES/

I've used it for years, and it is amazing. I always have a can around the garage.
You can spray it on bare metal, and it wont flash rust for years.

Probably because of the price. For sand, soda or any other blasting you need an air compressor a blast machine(not the technical name) protective gloves eye protection filtration mask proper area to do it blast media 220V hookup in work area for compressor etc.  All you need for this is water 1tbl spoon baking soda per gallon and a battery charger.  You might have to build a box like he did if its for large parts.  For small things a 5 gallon bucket will work.  Either way for any sort of home blasting you need at least everything I put on that list which can get pretty expensive in comparison.

Not to mention it's just a fun little experiment  :2thumbs: