News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trying electrolysis on hood

Started by General_01, May 08, 2010, 04:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E5 Charger

I've never heard of that Strongarm spray. My bumper has black pits in it, but the chrome still looks good. Hmm, I wonder if it will take out the appearance of the pits. I'm watching this post because I have a hood with a lot of rust underneath.

jeryst

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on May 18, 2010, 05:25:05 PM

Probably because of the price. For sand, soda or any other blasting you need an air compressor a blast machine(not the technical name) protective gloves eye protection filtration mask proper area to do it blast media 220V hookup in work area for compressor etc.  All you need for this is water 1tbl spoon baking soda per gallon and a battery charger.  You might have to build a box like he did if its for large parts.  For small things a 5 gallon bucket will work.  Either way for any sort of home blasting you need at least everything I put on that list which can get pretty expensive in comparison.

Not to mention it's just a fun little experiment  :2thumbs:

I had a guy blast a whole fender for me. Cost $50. Was spotless when he was done. I would think there is $50 of wood in that box - lol.

I agree on the entertainment factor of this approach, though.

Wicked72

Harbor freight blaster setup with media would be about $60(Depending on the media) but you will need a good compressor setup!! walnut shells, soda, aluminum oxide, glass, etc they have it all and its extremely cheap but they work great and last. A pair of gogs and a good resp you should already have if your a diyer. just have to be careful! Im about to use walnut shells and sand to strip my interior.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Highbanked Hauler

Any new results or pictures of the hood?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

General_01

No more pics. I wasn't able to keep up with the water leaking out. I didn't need an enormous water bill. I wasn't ready to take it out either, so the bare spots flash rusted. Here is what I learned though.

1- If you have a large piece like mine, you may want to bend a 6 ft rebar rod and run part of it under the large piece. That way you will have "line of site" to rust areas towards the center of the piece.

2- Put it under a canopy so you can keep it running even if it rains.

3- You need to be ready with everything you are going to do so you can rinse it, dry it, and prime it in a short time to prevent flash rusting.

All in all, I would say that this procedure is great for smaller parts, but not larger pieces. I am going to take the hood and have it blasted so I can finish it up. Hopefully within two weeks. Sounds like enough time, but trust me, it isn't really.  :icon_smile_big:

Sorry I had to give it up. Was hoping to have some great pics after I took it out.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Highbanked Hauler

not everything works on the first try but you gave it a shot :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

jeryst

If it wasnt for people trying things, none of us would know anything.