News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 500 -trunk lid

Started by Edelbroke, January 01, 2015, 05:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edelbroke

I have a 69 Charger that I have been collecting parts to build a Daytona clone out of. I have a Vega hatch already. I ran across this 69 Daytona trunk lid on ebay today. It sure would be nice to have the correct dimension trunk lid right off the bat. With the part that is cut off the bottom on the one on ebay is it worth the trouble? Or would it be easier to modify a regular trunk lid (which I have) I have read numerous threads on here about modifying the window opening. What I can't seem to find is what the Charger 500 trunk lid dimensions are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MoPar-1969-Dodge-Charger-DAYTONA-500-TRUNK-LID-and-MORE-LOOK-/190746716484

white

That lid has been for sale a long time now, Lots of work to get right.

Charger-Bodie

Plus if you go with the vega hatch 71 up Dutchman combo the front of the lid will not be quite right.

Just get a close out panel and modify your lid.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

500Jon

Hi EB,

Easy peasy the modification of a stock lid.
Its a careful curved cut and a 1/4 inch fold down.
Leave that till last once the window-plug is fitted, cut the curve to match the plug exactly.
Then the fold-down will give you a healthy panel-gap.
The things that are difficult is the unique-hinges and weld on runners to bolt the lid to!

5J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Edelbroke

Quote from: 500Jon on January 02, 2015, 07:08:03 AM
Hi EB,

Easy peasy the modification of a stock lid.
Its a careful curved cut and a 1/4 inch fold down.
Leave that till last once the window-plug is fitted, cut the curve to match the plug exactly.
Then the fold-down will give you a healthy panel-gap.
The things that are difficult is the unique-hinges and weld on runners to bolt the lid to!

5J

Thanks, I wasn't sure how much of the plug below the window got used. This info helps a lot!

500Jon

HNY to you EB...

I will take some measurements off my car for you.
But they are all slightly different as with all hand finished cars.
Vega hatch seems the weapon of choice with a challenger/coronet trunk lip finish panel grafted on.
They have a very similar curve and water-channel like the original creative Plug for the seal to sit on.

If you was loaded, I would just go for a repro-Steel Plug a real window and proper trims.
A pressed steel trunk finish panel with good repro hinges and mounting channels.
Costly but right, its the parts that unique to C500's and Daytonas :2thumbs:

Putting a nosecone is SIMPLES!!! :popcrn:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Edelbroke on January 01, 2015, 05:47:57 PM
I have a 69 Charger that I have been collecting parts to build a Daytona clone out of. I have a Vega hatch already. I ran across this 69 Daytona trunk lid on ebay today. It sure would be nice to have the correct dimension trunk lid right off the bat. With the part that is cut off the bottom on the one on ebay is it worth the trouble? Or would it be easier to modify a regular trunk lid (which I have) I have read numerous threads on here about modifying the window opening. What I can't seem to find is what the Charger 500 trunk lid dimensions are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MoPar-1969-Dodge-Charger-DAYTONA-500-TRUNK-LID-and-MORE-LOOK-/190746716484

The dimensions of the stock Tona/500 trunk lid are approx 21 1/2 inches long on the sides, and 22" in the center...that's if you have a repro/original rear window plug, if your using the Vega plug, your dimensions will be based on where /how you install the plug, if using the Vega/Astre plug your best off using the gutter/dutchman panel from a 71-4 Charger or RR, or fabricate your own channel, if you can obtain a steel repro closeout panel or fiberglass closeout panel, you can use that, but you'll still need to follow the contour if using the 71-4 B body dutchman gutter

FYI, install the plug first on the car, along with the dutchman gutter, make your trunk lid to fit the opening left remaining, this way you can control the body gap between the leading edge of the trunk lid and the trailing edge of the dutchman panel...the Tona/500 rear dutchman panel area below the rear window is approx 12 1/4 inches, a stock Tona/500 window opening is approx 26 1/4" top to bottom (measured inside the glass channel) there's approx 3 3/4" from the top of the window opening to the top edge of the stock roofline of the original "tunnel" section, be aware of that so if using the stock Vega/Astre plug you don't set the window too high, you'll need to add a filler between the top of the window opening to the top/edge of the stock charger roof edge...

Hope this helps?

Mike

BigBlockSam

YEA WHAT HE SAID!!   :cheers: :cheers: :pop

Hi Mike!
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Edelbroke

All of that info helps. Thanks everyone

500Jon

Nice looking Lid there MIKE!

Is that a real one?
If not it sure looks like one...

HNY to you and many thanx for thr C500 parts!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Yep, done the measurements off my C500 ... 21 1/2" trunklid front to back.
There must be more curvature on some of the original window plugs as it looks like 21 1/2" in the centre of the trunk-lid (on mine).
Rear window (plug) recess down to the lower edge is exactly 12 1/4'' inches at the window corners!
All sizes confirmed as per Mike the DayClona MASTER!!!

Clear as mud LOL.
HNY from 5J

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 500Jon on January 03, 2015, 06:53:16 AM
Nice looking Lid there MIKE!

Is that a real one?
If not it sure looks like one...

HNY to you and many thanx for thr C500 parts!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Yep, done the measurements off my C500 ... 21 1/2" trunklid front to back.
There must be more curvature on some of the original window plugs as it looks like 21 1/2" in the centre of the trunk-lid (on mine).
Rear window (plug) recess down to the lower edge is exactly 12 1/4'' inches at the window corners!
All sizes confirmed as per Mike the DayClona MASTER!!!

Clear as mud LOL.
HNY from 5J

One of the reasons I say "approx" on most dimensions, as these cars were hand built, often by unskilled bodymen, one only needs to look at a few originals to see how panel gaps, curvatures, contours, etc were all over the place, esp on 500's/Tona...Superbirds fared a little bit better in some assy aspects...

It was probably a learning curve or perhaps lack of supervision, or both when the plug install/trunk conversion was being performed at Creative Industries as no two cars seem to exhibit the same fit/finish

Mike

500Jon

Nice pun there Mike!!! :2thumbs:

Learning curve....................... :slap:

I also found differences with the plug support rail beneath the lower window opening too!
The earlier C500 had 1/2" less curve than a Daytona one I have measured...
Or in better terms 1/2" taller in the middle!

Sorry for the poo-pics, it was dark in there.