News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CDN72SE's Restoration Thread

Started by CDN72SE, May 26, 2010, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN72SE

Brake Pedal

Here is my brake pedal assembly that I just finished freshening up. Did it over a few days as time permitted. Here it is as removed from the car.

Disassembled:

Gave this part a little bath in the vinegar, lemon juice and salt solution. For the rest I used Evaporust, for light stuff I used the red scotchbrite pad and/or steel wool.

Cleaned up and painted:

These pieces I left their natural colour and coated with some of Eastwood's clear.

Here is a before shot:

Some more:

another, painted the whole thing with Seymour Stainless Steel paint and then sprayed over most of it with Eastwood's Underhood Black. Mine originally faded from black paint to bare steel.

Here it is all back together, wasn't hard to do and I think I'll move on to the emergency brake next.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Just picked up one of the blemished Tuff repro wheels from Dale's Cuda Shop, it's the one on the left. I'm very happy with it, nice repro.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Not too much to show lately, still removing paint from around the trunk and front & rear window gutters.

Not very interesting stuff so I've kind of been starting other little projects as an aside.

Figured I'd take the plunge and buy a new Spectra gas tank, of course it's cheaper to buy it in the States and have it shipped to Canada, even though it's Canadian made there is not much choice as to where to purchase it here and it's more than double the price.

Mine is dented quite a bit, so to avoid hassles I thought I'd purchase new.

Here's my new tank, what a beauty.

Test fit the tank:

Started going through my stash of Slapstick shifter stuff, before AMD came out with theirs I purchased some original brackets off ebay.

I'm going from column to floor shift.

I also started stripping the front and rear bumper brackets.

Will use some rust Encapsulator on them followed by some Eastwood's extreme chassis black.

Got the rear bumper guard brackets finished up as well, one NOS and the other has some slight surface rust that I removed after soaking in Evaporust for a few hours:

Here they are after a couple coats of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and Chassis Black, with original nuts and clips:

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Cleaned up and painted the Wheelhouse Vapor Canister & Shields.

Before:

[

After:

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Bucket Seats

My car was originally a benchseat model, ember in colour. I replaced that soon after I got the car with a pair of mismatched buckets; drivers side is white and passenger green. Both I painted with some cheap vinyl spray, duct tape and cheap seat covers.

I recently ordered some white front seat covers from Dante's. The plan is to colour match the interior with the front seats, I'll be switching the interior from black to white. Here's the seats as they sit.  :'(

Recently received my covers from Dante, very nice Legendary covers, I'll tackle these myself a little later.

Some interior color change. I lightly went over the panels with a scotchbrite pad on some of the scratches and followed the SEM procedure, here are some of the results:

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Hidden Headlight Grille

I'll put the refresh of my grille here as I work on it. Not a bad set-up does have a bit of the usual pitting but not too bad and nothing broken.

Did some masking and used Eastwood's Underhood Black.

Added the DODGE emblem, going for a similar look to the 71 style.

Here's the grille surrounds:

Got the surrounds done, still need to polish the chrome, I'm happy with the results. Here's a couple pics.

another

**Edit, after all that I decided to go with the '71 setup.

1972 Charger SE

chargd72

Looking nice Alan.  Just cleaned up my rear bumper brackets myself.  Where did you find the little white felt replacements?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

CDN72SE

Hey Ryan, got them from DMT, I contemplated making them myself but I had an order in for a few more items so I paid the $4 for these. Sprayed some glue on the backside and stuck them on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DMT-MOPAR-Bumper-Bracket-Bolt-Gaskets-B-C-E-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53dffc9d4aQQitemZ360240160074QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
1972 Charger SE

chargd72

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

CDN72SE

Received my set of KYB shocks from Just Suspension, these are to replace the set I last bought in 1991.

I was tempted to re-use them because the car has mostly been off it's suspension all these years.

I did have to cut the two rears off so that swayed me to buy a new set.

They are sort of a dark silver colour, look good but I thought I would paint them black, three more to go.

I paid US$125 for the set, in 1991 I paid CAD$105 just for the front!

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Also picked up some suspension parts from Rockauto. The shipping to my Toronto office was not bad at all, and the prices were worth it. Still need to get some sway bar end link bushings and a couple more things.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Got the front sway bar finished.

Used Eastwood Chassis black, Seymour's Stainless steel paint and the bushings are Moog.

1972 Charger SE

Back N Black

nice work,Great attention to detail.  :2thumbs:

CDN72SE

Quote from: Back N Black on April 26, 2011, 06:42:52 PM
nice work,Great attention to detail.  :2thumbs:

Thanks, coming from you that's a real compliment, your Charger is a work of art.
1972 Charger SE

elacruze

:2thumbs:

I think I'm going soft for 3rd gens.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

tan top

been busy Dude !!  :yesnod:  nice work going on there  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

CDN72SE

Quote from: elacruze on April 27, 2011, 07:27:30 AM
:2thumbs:

I think I'm going soft for 3rd gens.
:2thumbs: And you didn't even mention the ugly SE rear side windows.  ;)

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: tan top on April 27, 2011, 07:38:56 AM
been busy Dude !!  :yesnod:  nice work going on there  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

Thanks Tan Top.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Rear Taillights

Decided to take a look at these this past weekend, I have one NOS black and one a nice argent taillight.

The plan is to re-finish them both with the tri-colour effect, black, grey (or darker argent) and argent.

I am not too concerned with them looking OEM exact.

I've got so many different cans of silver, argent, aluminium, grey it's getting nuts so whatever I have on my shelf that is the closest I think I will use.

Here's the black bezel.

and the argent:

Started masking:

Got it painted:

Ready to spray some argent I had kicking around for the outer part of the bezel:

Thought I'd share my mistake, I painted these two bezels two weeks apart and somewhere along the line I mixed up the finishing paint.

One I used Eastwood's Spray Gray and the other is Detail Gray.

I think the top is Detail Gray, when I have made the correction I'll straighten it out.  :brickwall:

Well at least I have two different samples.

Installed:

1972 Charger SE

Wicked72

sweet! keep it goin! hmmm maybe I should too?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

roger01

hey CDN  doing a nice job there, i havent been on here for a while but this site has been a great help to me over the years and have always been able to count on these guys for help
      i,ll see you in milton in june ......ill be moving there from meadowvale ..

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: roger01 on May 28, 2011, 02:19:51 PM
hey CDN  doing a nice job there, i havent been on here for a while but this site has been a great help to me over the years and have always been able to count on these guys for help
     i,ll see you in milton in june ......ill be moving there from meadowvale ..

Thanks Roger, ah Meadowvale, I grew up in Erin Mills mostly. Will you're car be out and about in Milton?

Alan
1972 Charger SE

roger01

you better believe it its in storage till july :icon_smile_big: moving july 10

CDN72SE

License Plate Brackets - Rear

Not in too bad of condition, let's see if I can clean it up a bit, here are some before shots.

After:

Last one:

Front

Soaked in Evaporust & then a couple coats of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.

Then sprayed with Extreme Chassis Black:

1972 Charger SE