News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This is awesome.. A 67 Hemi Belvedere w/43 MILES on it

Started by jb666, May 31, 2010, 02:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerrt

Quote from: Manfred318 on June 01, 2010, 01:55:04 PM
Quote from: chargerrt on June 01, 2010, 01:03:42 PM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 31, 2010, 08:10:10 PM
Quote from: bull on May 31, 2010, 04:15:17 PM
I hope that's not one of those Belvadere GTX factory Hemi cars. If so, you're right, it would be a very, very rare piece of history and they're getting ready to junk it.

http://www.harmsauto.com/images/One%20of%20None/scan0031.jpg

That's not even an RH23 car like discussed in the memo. That's an RL21 car.

The white books list two known 67 RL21 cars; one four speed and one automatic. Is this the automatic car?

Also, I don't know my 66-67 Plymouths that well. Is this really a '67 or is it a '66? According to the White book, there were 136 1966 RL21 Hemi cars shipped and 50 RO21 Hemi S/S cars.

1966 Plymouths had two headlights whereas 1967s had four.  I believe that's the easiest way to distinguish them.

And the tail pannel was different as well.

Indeed!  My first car was a '67 Belvedere II, so I have a special place in my heart for that body style.  It's my second favorite...behind Chargers of course ;)

Brock Samson

looks like the '66 had chrome strips at the body side tops too...
a very interesting thread and car, does seem a shame to "Update" it..  :shruggy:

Manfred318

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 02, 2010, 03:43:29 PM
a very interesting thread and car, does seem a shame to "Update" it..  :shruggy:

:iagree:
I believe those top moldings were an option on the Satellites. My '66 Belvedere I had did not have them. It had body side moldings.
Satellite

Belvedere

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

jb666

:rofl: I love you guys... And I'm not being sarcastic here...

Jon's just performing a service.. he's the best at what he does, and I will keep you all updated with plenty of pictures. He will NOT destroy this car and he will not pile it up with "modern junk". Jon's an old school Mopar nut.. But he (as well as the owner of the car) believes the car should be used/raced, and it will be...

Is it a rare, classic bird?? yeah it is, but it's not mine.. So I can't say what to do with it... :cheers: :cheers:

bull

I wonder if you told him it's probably worth $75k as it sits. Think that would change his mind?

jb666

Quote from: bull on June 02, 2010, 05:31:52 PM
I wonder if you told him it's probably worth $75k as it sits. Think that would change his mind?

I'm not sure, I don't know the owner, personally.. But I can bet one thing, he's probably seeing this...  I'm not sure if $$ is something the owner is concerned with at this point..

There is nothing being done to this car that can't easily be returned to stock.

it's getting a roll bar because it'll run in the 10's and it's required.. NOTHING else is being done to the car to alter it from stock.. The car was purchased back in 1968 and he's had it since.. This is something he's wanted to do for years and he's finally doing it.. I agree that it's certainly better to get this thing out and USE IT then sit it behind some looking glass for people to stare at... It'll be done well, trust me.

Aero426

Quote from: jb666 on June 02, 2010, 05:46:51 PM

I'm not sure, I don't know the owner, personally.. But I can bet one thing, he's probably seeing this...  I'm not sure if $$ is something the owner is concerned with at this point..

And he may not be.  But if the time comes to sell, the mods have an effect on the future value of the car, and nobody likes to hear bad news at selling time.  "Hey too bad about the modern roll bar and those sub frame connectors".   The best you can do is try to enlighten the guy as to what he really has.  

Because of all the cars that were raced to death,  the few that survived have earned their place.       

Harms Inc

Just for the record, the ONLY thing Ray Yonkers did on the Judy Lilly car was the bodywork, overall paint, and stripes. The custom lettering and ALL other restoration work on the car was performed by the very talented and knowledgable 67 B-body expert, Jim Drain.

bull

I agree that it's certainly better to get this thing out and USE IT then sit it behind some looking glass for people to stare at... It'll be done well, trust me.

I disagree but of course (the old trump card) it's his car. There's lots of 67 Belvadere 383 cars out there that people can enjoy seeing race. A 1 of 1 Hemi car with 43 miles on it though? Not too wise IMO.

jeryst

I'm betting, that with the proper documentation, it would fetch 5 to 10 times that at a BJ auction.

Old race cars are HOT right now.

jb666

Well, if anyone's interested, I'm sure showing $100k to the owner would take it away  :yesnod: , other than that ,he's owned it for 40+ years and is doing with it what HE wants, not what someone else wants him to do..  :cheers:

If this wasn't brought to Jon's shop to be done it would have been brought somewhere else... At least someone that knows what it is will be working on it and some shop that just wants to cut it apart.

So... We can start a SAVE THE HEMI CAR auction.......... I'll open the bidding at $85k...  :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Manfred318 on June 02, 2010, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on June 02, 2010, 03:43:29 PM
a very interesting thread and car, does seem a shame to "Update" it..  :shruggy:

:iagree:
I believe those top moldings were an option on the Satellites. My '66 Belvedere I had did not have them. It had body side moldings.
Satellite

Belvedere

Yep - I've been looking for the driver's fender stainless for a 66 satellite for 2 years now with NO luck at all...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

mauve66

Quote from: bull on June 02, 2010, 07:27:03 PM
I agree that it's certainly better to get this thing out and USE IT then sit it behind some looking glass for people to stare at... It'll be done well, trust me.

I disagree but of course (the old trump card) it's his car. There's lots of 67 Belvadere 383 cars out there that people can enjoy seeing race. A 1 of 1 Hemi car with 43 miles on it though? Not too wise IMO.

lots of 318 and /6 cars also, shame to do this but not my car i guess............................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

chargergirl

Quote from: Harms Inc on June 02, 2010, 06:59:47 PM
Just for the record, the ONLY thing Ray Yonkers did on the Judy Lilly car was the bodywork, overall paint, and stripes. The custom lettering and ALL other restoration work on the car was performed by the very talented and knowledgable 67 B-body expert, Jim Drain.
No disagreement there. The car is amazing in all it's glory. Judy Lilly is absolutely adorable...I just wonder how she EVER reached the clutch. BTW his name is Ray Younkin. To his credit he also restored the 500 that was owned by a Blue Angel that, God keep him, lost his life training another pilot. Great pics featured in Mopar Collector Guide taken at NAS Pensacola. It was a very moving photoshoot with the widow. She was given the opportunity to see the car back in it's glory headed for a new owner that loved the car. The comment she made that makes me smile..."He loved anything that was fast". Guess so.
Trust your Woobie!

A383Wing

Quote from: jb666 on June 02, 2010, 08:39:00 PM

So... We can start a SAVE THE HEMI CAR auction.......... I'll open the bidding at $85k...  :2thumbs:

Here's my  :Twocents:

<it's all I got>

chargergirl

Quote from: A383Wing on June 02, 2010, 09:29:18 PM
Quote from: jb666 on June 02, 2010, 08:39:00 PM

Here's my  :Twocents:

<it's all I got>

jb...your wife is gonna kill you!
Trust your Woobie!

tan top

There is nothing being done to this car that can't easily be returned to stock.

it's getting a roll bar because it'll run in the 10's and it's required.. NOTHING else is being done to the car to alter it from stock.. The car was purchased back in 1968 and he's had it since.. This is something he's wanted to do for years and he's finally doing it.. I agree that it's certainly better to get this thing out and USE IT then sit it behind some looking glass for people to stare at... It'll be done well, trust me.

oh right !!  not as bad then !1 i had visions  of tubbing , or space framing , & back halving , or even a scratch built space frame !! guess i jumped the gun a bit  :slap: on such a rare car !! well not as bad if it can easily be removed !!
awesome stuff  never the less !! keep the pictures coming Jeff & thanks for sharing this with us  :cheers: :cheers: :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mauve66

could still due a tribute/heritage theme, modifying the current roll bar isn't that much, jericho is way out of line, alot of 727/904 10 sec cars out there
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

jb666

Ok, I'll be heading by Tube Chassis later to grab some pictures... But here's an update...

The guy bought this car in 1968 for $300. He knows what it's worth now and doesn't care... It's not about value to him, it's about doing what he wants to his own car...

The frame connectors are in...Pictures to follow.

There's a full cage being put in because his goals went up a bit.

The factory Dana 60 is coming out and a Ford 9" is going in along with the Jericho transmission.

I'll be back later.  :cheers:

mauve66

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

but as the saying goes, its his car, just like the guy letting one sit in a field of mud for 30 years............................................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

jb666

Welp... I just got back from the shop(s), and I took plenty of pictures while I was out...

First, the entire front suspension needed to be replaced, so that's out... Then you'll see further down that the Dana is already out awaiting the 9"'s arrival..  And , as promised, here are shots of the frame connectors and the beginning of the cage.

Here's a pile of parts waiting to be picked up by the scrap metal guy...

No BK fire hazards here.. The bar isn't close enough to the dome light to start a fire.

And finally, the coolest thing...

jb666

Well guys, it's been a while since I updated this thread with some pictures.. So here's how the car's sitting now.. The engine bay was just completely re-painted..

tan top

nice work been going on !! thanks for sharing the pictures Jeff  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Vainglory, Esq.

jb666