News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever regret working on a friends car?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 05, 2010, 06:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

My buddy said I'll give you 75.00 to put my Ford truck starter in ( 1999 ).  I said, O.K.   Easy money  :2thumbs:
First thing this am I roll his truck down the driveway and slap the standard shift to the bottom right thinking 5 gear as the knob was turned sideways and pop the clutch.  BOOM goes the engine and then the power brakes fail as I roll down the driveway in smoke.  I was in reverse!!  :slap:  I really thought it caught on fire.  Long story short, it idles, and revs like it's sucking air. There is no vacuum for the brake booster.  I was sick to my stomach.  Hours later I crawled underside to start the starter work to find it so rusted I gave up.  I drove it to a garage down the road popping and revving and left a note.  The deal my friend and I worked out is he will pay for the starter replacement and I the engine repair whatever it cost. :eek2:   I just told him he has to pay up front and I'll pay him as I can.  I checked all the vacuum lines, I looked for an hour and can't find anything.  It looks like the intake has plastic and I wonder if some blew out?   Thing is I don't hear any leaks.  Service tool reads low or no vacuum near velocity probe which makes sense that there is a serious vacuum issue.  Got me?  No more of this for me. :rotz:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

jb666

Hey, you know what? You were trying to HELP YOUR FRIEND. Who cares if you were in reverse, burned his tires off, and banged up his bumper, I wouldn't make you pay for the "repair". I'd say "shit happens" and move on!!

Don't let this stop you from helping someone else.. I know it sucks, but hopefully you'll fine it was nothing more than a sensor and he tells you not to worry about the cost. Good luck man  :cheers:

b5blue

I helped a supposed friend put his Toyota Runner's motor back together after a mechanic stopped taking his "med's" and went bonkers leaving him with it all torn apart. 3 days of re-assembly and digging around on line digging for details because he didn't want to buy a book, then some more time changing broken plastic parts because "they look crappy" only to get 100.00 and a broken welder. I fixed the welder, (easy fix) he borrowed it back, then sold it. (he is now an ex friend)  :flame:

jb666

Friends like that, who needs enemas??  :brickwall:

Chargerrtforme

Quote from: jb666 on June 05, 2010, 07:19:38 PM
Hey, you know what? You were trying to HELP YOUR FRIEND. Who cares if you were in reverse, burned his tires off, and banged up his bumper, I wouldn't make you pay for the "repair". I'd say "shit happens" and move on!!

Don't let this stop you from helping someone else.. I know it sucks, but hopefully you'll fine it was nothing more than a sensor and he tells you not to worry about the cost. Good luck man  :cheers:
I don't know, that's a hard one.

jb666

Quote from: Chargerrtforme on June 05, 2010, 08:10:09 PM

Don't let this stop you from helping someone else.. I know it sucks, but hopefully you'll fine it was nothing more than a sensor and he tells you not to worry about the cost. Good luck man  :cheers:
I don't know, that's a hard one.
Which makes you a good friend to HAVE. So many would have thrown their hands in the air and said "I don't know, it was like this when I got it started!".

:cheers: :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

My wife and I talked about it and both agree it was my fault, that sucks, but I will pay to have it fixed. It's just the way it is. Just trying to do the right thing.  
Sucky part is I was doing it for the extra cash, and now I'll be putting out lot's of cash.  :eek2:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Cooter

And yet, people will Wonder why we mechanics charge "So much" for just a simple little job like a starter on a '94 truck....

Nothing on newer cars is as simple as "Helping a friend out"...there's a Damn good reason WHY he asked YOU to put that starter on...It's because he's been to every shop around town and gotten a quote of more than he thought it was worth...Until he climed under it and looked...I run into this all the time at work..Some "Self educated" "Mechanic" that has only worked on Dad's '67 Chevelle, tries to install his own timing belt..I mean, how hard could it be right? Brings said car into the shop with all the valves bent, heads destroyed, cause he figured we was trying to screw him over @$750.00 for a timing belt job...Now, it will cost him/her about 5 times that much to fix his/her screw up...Either this way, or they take said vehicle TO a "Self educated" "Mechanic" and end result is the same...I especially love this one..."WHAT? I gotta guy down the street  that'll do it for $25.00!! Your rippin' me off!!"........Of course, car comes back two weeks later with half the engine torn apart....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elacruze

Weeellllllllllll...

Here's my S.W.A.G.

The truck has an ignition problem. That made it hard to start, which burned up the starter. It also filled the intake manifold with excess fuel, which exploded when an out-of-time spark caught a valve open.

I don't see any way that popping the clutch in reverse could have had anything to do with it.

I'll bet that before it's over, they find something wrong with the ignition system.
:Twocents:

Oh yeah, to the subject; If I had spent less time working on my buddies' Chevys my Charger would be in a different state of repair now...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Cooter

I USED to narrow rear ends, but not anymore and here's why...Along the same lines as your buddy's truck...
A "Buddy" had a 1972 Duster 340 car he wanted tubbed out after he saw my '69 Chevelle...I said "Sure!, love to"...Just to "Get my name out there" 'ya know? Well, Long story short about 3 weeks later, I get a call from his Father informing me that I'm being sued for damages due to my rear end work in his words "Coming unglued"....Of course, I go over to his house as that's where the Duster was, and sure nuff, the whole right rear quarter was smooshed back up to near the back glass in the perfect shape of what appeared to be a tree....I inquire about how and what happened..The "buddy" tells me that all he did was smack third gear (4-speed) and bang! ......I don't buy it cause The day he picked it up i was out in the road with him, and his father in the car Bangin' the hell outta gear in the VERY SAME car..?.....After a little digging, I was able to get the entire story...Come to find out, he was street racing another friend and lost it when he "Banged Third", spun around backwards, and hit a tree...Of course, I went back over and talked with his father about this little neglected portion of the story and he agreed to see if his son would tell the truth...

After asking him AGAIN what happened, he repeated the same  story word for word...I asked him if he knew a Friend of mine named "Big Joe"? and he looked like he'd seen a ghost. Needless to say, The father asked if my version was true and he finally admitted his fault.  I've never again, narrowed another rear for any of my "Buddies"...All this sh*t over trying to help out a buddy....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

The70RT

I don't blame you for not doing any work. Just in the last couple years This happened.... I did some work on a friends car and when I got it done i parked it out front and they said it was too late and would be over tomorrow. Well that night it all the windows got knocked out of it and all they had was liability. I said since I left it out front I would eat the 500 bucks from all the work I did. They came back a few days later and paid me because they felt bad about it. Since then I never have heard from them. Shortly after that a similar situation, a friend was coming by to get their car then changed their mind and I forgot I parked in behind my wife's van and I backed into it and caused 2000 in damage. I was doing some brakes and I told my friend to get in and pump up the brakes. He said they feel good so I topped off the reservoir and shut the hood. He says go ahead and back it out since it was a tight spot. I backed up and hit the brakes and they went to the floor. I knocked out a taillight when i ran into an old car that was behind it. I ended up buying and installing another one  ::)
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AKcharger

Bummer. I'm always happy to help with a friends car, but I NEVER ask for money. I'd like to say it's becuase I'm so magnanamus,   :angel: but real reason is if things get bad I can always say..."whoa, looks like you really have some problems there, good luck", then go home without any guilt.

TUFCAT

THE ENGINE ONLY ROTATES ONE WAY REGARDLESS OF THE TRANSMISSION GEAR SELECTED!!!!!

Popping the clutch in reverse should have no ill effect to the engine. It's basically the same as popping the clutch in first gear.  It should have started the same way in reverse or first gear because the engine only rotates one way - - regardless!!!  There's no exception!  

Your friend is dead wrong if he wants you to take reposnsibility (and pay for) any so called "engine damage" due to a vacuum leak is absolutely INSANE!!!

Like the other guy mentioned...it probably wasn't running before!  :RantExplode:

Regarding the power brakes failing due to your repair -====that's even more false information!  The booster was bleeded out of pressure because the engine hadn't been run...or the booster was already bad.  It didn't FAIL! This seems like the result of the owner not telling you the "whole story". Basically, there's no way you caused this damage by replacing the starter!  :eek2:

b5blue

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 05, 2010, 09:50:20 PM
THE ENGINE ONLY ROTATES ONE WAY REGARDLESS OF THE TRANSMISSION GEAR SELECTED!!!!!

Popping the clutch in reverse should have no ill effect to the engine. It's basically the same as popping the clutch in first gear.  It should have started the same way in reverse or first gear because the engine only rotates one way - - regardless!!! There's no exception!  

Your friend is dead wrong if he wants you to take responsibility (and pay for) any so called "engine damage" due to a vacuum leak is absolutely INSANE!!!

Starting a manual in reverse could cause NO SUCH DAMAGE!!! Like the other guy mentioned...it probably wasn't running before!  :RantExplode:

Regarding the power brakes failing due to your repair -====that's even more false information! The booster was bleed ed out of pressure because the engine hadn't been run...or the booster was already bad. IT didn't FAIL! This seems like the result of the owner not telling you the "whole story. Basically, there's no way you caused this damage by replacing the starter!  :eek2:
Yeah but rolling down my driveway in reverse, forward wise. Not reverse backwards?

O.k the story isn't correct.  I haven't even put the starter in.  He is being good about it, so there is no issue with him.  He drove it to my house.  He also told me I wont have a problem starting it as it pop starts fast.  He drove it to my house and backed it up my driveway.  I rolled it down the driveway in reverse, because I'm an idiot.  It popped and farted a few times.  I rolled more and gave a little gas and popped again.  This time it went BOOM. and smoke pored out under the hood.   After running out and opening the hood, I went back in the truck and realized I was in reverse.  It then started, but since has been sucking air somewhere and revving high and low.   I pulled the vacuum line to the booster and feel no vacuum, so that's why the brakes don't work correct.  I think I blew out a intake gasket or part of the plastic pleme part of the intake.  I think rolling forward in reverse would make it crank over backwards?  Yes?  It's all mechanically tied in that way gear wise.  I haven't worked on cars for others in years, I was just taking a option for a quick buck and made a stupid mistake. It's all rusted underneath and I packed my tools up and told him to have the garage put the starter in and I'll pay for what got damaged engine wise.

b5blue

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........You are a man of honor!  :2thumbs: Did he warn you of excessive rusty condition? (just wondering)

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: b5blue on June 06, 2010, 07:28:31 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........You are a man of honor!  :2thumbs: Did he warn you of excessive rusty condition? (just wondering)
No, but what does he know about the underside.  I started on it and one of the bolts started to freeze, so I threaded it back in and said forget it, what else could happen with this rusted piece of crap.  I'll give him his 75.00 back and wait to see what the garage says.  It is what it is.
At first I told my wife I'll offer to split the bill.  She said so if a neighbor hits a ball through our window and it's his fault it would be o.k if he says, well I'll pay for 1/2 the glass?
So on that note I realize I made the mistake and that is that.  I follow what comes around goes around , rules.  I messed up, that sucks and I have to pay.  Good intentions or not.  Good things in life will come back around to me.  Like my safe and healthy family.  If I have that (and I do)  I have it all.
I also have a job to go to tomorrow which many don't.  Thanks for your guys support, I just wanted to share my " That sucks " story. :icon_smile_big:

greenpigs

A couple people hint around at work like a brake job or tune up. I don't bother and have said maintenance done at a shop on our daily drivers. I could do the smaller stuff myself but feel better having someone do a brake job that's done it 100 times before. Even if a newbie does it someone will check the work....I hope. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

b5blue

You keep a friend this way too!  :cheers:   

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: b5blue on June 06, 2010, 11:12:15 AM
You keep a friend this way too!  :cheers:   
Yes and I work with the guy. My mistake. I'll pay. Stuff happens.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 05, 2010, 08:19:35 PM

My wife and I talked about it and both agree it was my fault, that sucks, but I will pay to have it fixed. It's just the way it is. Just trying to do the right thing.  
Sucky part is I was doing it for the extra cash, and now I'll be putting out lot's of cash.  :eek2:
You think you guys charge a lot?  You'd be shocked at what elevator companies charge per hour for us mechanics.  This wasn't rocket science. It should of been a pop start, a look underneath and then a
recommendation to go to a garage or a long time on my back. But it started out wrong when I looked at the
crooked shift pattern and just dropped the shifter to the lower right.  I messed up. Dumb. Woops. Expensive mistake. This garage is honest and fair but slow. I'll update just how stupid I was when I get the quotes.

Silver R/T

I think you guys should've worked together on it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Silver R/T on June 06, 2010, 11:37:08 AM
That would be to many hands in the pie. 3 bolts and 2 wires. He didn't want anything to do with it.

Silver R/T

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 06, 2010, 11:38:55 AM
Quote from: Silver R/T on June 06, 2010, 11:37:08 AM
That would be to many hands in the pie. 3 bolts and 2 wires. He didn't want anything to do with it.
It's ok to split pie with a friend...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BrianShaughnessy

Being held responsible for somebodies rusty pile'o'crap by being the last one to touch said heap'o'crap is the reason I don't bother doing these kinds of jobs.   Usually you end up losing friends...  well,  they probably weren't the best kind of friends to begin with anyway  :Twocents:
I will help my friends out,  tools,  advice,  and help wrench if they're the ones in charge.  I assume no responsibility.
I work on the ol' ladies car and that's about it.  She can't help much other than...... well..  why bother.    

Sorry for the situation you find yourself in.  :shruggy:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.