News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Transmission Fluid Capacity

Started by W4ATL, June 09, 2010, 08:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W4ATL

I am going to replace the transmission filter and gasket on my '68 Charger 727 Transmission. How much fluid to I put back in before cranking and checking the fluid?

oldkimmer

......................3,..........Start it up, go through the gears.........should need approx 1 more........make sure ur checking it in neutral........kim......
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PocketThunder

Quote from: oldkimmer on June 09, 2010, 09:04:30 AM
......................3,..........Start it up, go through the gears.........should need approx 1 more........make sure ur checking it in neutral........kim......

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Whatever you do DONT put in 3, then add two more, then you will have to take 1-1/2 back out!   DAMHIK....  :brickwall: :brickwall:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

W4ATL

Quote from: oldkimmer on June 09, 2010, 09:04:30 AM

Pints or Quarts?

W4ATL

The units are quarts. I got the new gasket and filter in but I am one pint short. I thought I had more fluid than I did so I will have to go to the auto parts store once the traffic dies down.

I went by my not so nearby Dodge dealer and picked up a p/n 2464324AC gasket and new 3515996 filter. This is my first time working on the transmission but it seemed very straightforward based on what I have read. I dropped the pan and caught most of the fluid. I thoroughly scrubbed the pan and the mating surface on the transmission and cleaned to make sure no dirt or grime was on either surface. I had a leak around one of the bolt holes and that is where I found the most grime.  I replaced the filter (three screws), put the pan with this new style gasket back on and filled with ATF4 transmission fluid per above. I ran through the gears and left in neutral for a while. I saw no leaks when I checked. Oh boy!

I hope this fixes it. I'm getting tired of cleaning up transmission fluid.  Thanks for the advice!

GPULLER

The gasket you used was the Mopar hard plastic one with the rubber bead on it?  I used one on my 727 and have not had any leaks since.  I wouldnt use anything but that gasket.  :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

If you're only one pint short I would leave it at that level until it gets good and hot and recheck when idling in Neutral. Anywhere between a pint low and Full is OK.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

W4ATL

Quote from: GPULLER on June 09, 2010, 04:40:28 PM
The gasket you used was the Mopar hard plastic one with the rubber bead on it?  I used one on my 727 and have not had any leaks since.  I wouldnt use anything but that gasket.  :2thumbs:

Yep...that's it! I need to take it on a road test but so far so good.

W4ATL

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 09, 2010, 06:41:37 PM

If you're only one pint short I would leave it at that level until it gets good and hot and recheck when idling in Neutral. Anywhere between a pint low and Full is OK.

Thanks. I know that it will read a bit high when cold so I will put a tad more in for the road test and then re-check when it is good and hot.

FLG

Where can one get these gaskets?  :shruggy:

RD

Quote from: FLG on June 09, 2010, 09:56:46 PM

dodge dealer or ebay or a transmission shop
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

FLG

W4ATL

Quote from: FLG on June 09, 2010, 09:56:46 PM

I got mine at the Dodge dealer parts department. Just belly up to the parts bar and use part number 2464324AC.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: W4ATL on June 09, 2010, 07:36:53 PM

Thanks. I know that it will read a bit high when cold so I will put a tad more in for the road test and then re-check when it is good and hot.

Actually, it will read a little low when cold if checked with the engine running, the fluid expands when hot.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.