News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If you have a garage door with springs, better have one of these.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 12, 2010, 10:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Yesterday my mom called me to ask what that loose cable was hanging above her garage doors?  I told her how it ran through the center of the big spring that helps lift the door.  If that cable wasn't there and the spring sprung, it could kill you in a snap.  If I didn't have it in my garage and the spring let go near my Charger it could slam the car and dent it big time.  So last night I come home from a cruise, park the Charger and close the garage door.  BAM!  And what happens, my cable snapped and let the spring fly.  Thank God I had the safety cable running through the center of the spring.  Make sure you have the same.  :yesnod:
( Oooops )  I meant to put this in the "Off topic" section.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

jb666

Believe me, I know... About 10 years ago I had a (highly modified) Dodge Indy Ram. One of my springs let go when I shut the door. I heard a BANG, then the truck alarm going off in the garage  :brickwall:

It smashed the windshield, badly, and did some damage to the roof about 6" over it... All because I didn't have a $5 safety cable...

BrianShaughnessy

:2thumbs:

I had to replace a broken spring on her parent's garage door about 10 years ago.    I added those safety cables into both doors ( 2 car garage,  2 single doors ). 

My 2 car door has the large center wound spring.   Those do not apply.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Midpenmopar

I have installing garage doors and openers for 30+ years and all i can say is get rid of those suckers asap! Go for a torsion system instead and save yourself some grief!!

Stu
Reality is only an illusion caused by a deficiency of alcohol.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

1969chargerrtse

I hear ya. But as long as there's that safety cable there, and it works, I'm ok with it. Seen about 4 of them fly but the cable always keeps them in check. My neighbor got their hood smashed bad by one letting go without the cable.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

A guy on FABO had a Dart and he got fresh paint on it. The cable let go on his door and put a 2" crease in the fresh quarter....
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 12, 2010, 02:23:56 PM
A guy on FABO had a Dart and he got fresh paint on it. The cable let go on his door and put a 2" crease in the fresh quarter....
I love that sir speedy resto thing you got going below.  :hah: :2thumbs:

jeryst

Wow! I need to get some of those safety cables.

Where do you get them?
How hard are they to install?
Where do you attach the ends?

NHCharger

Any large building supply store would carry them.
They basically just attach to some eye bolts at each end of the horizontal door track, pretty simple install.

As Stu said torsion bars are the best.I have the spring type in my attached garage, torsion in my garage/shop.

I've had all four springs let go over the past ten years, the last one broke at the very end where the hook is and the cable doesn't pass thru, the end shot across the garage like a bullet. Also the springs are rated for a certain weight so when you buy a replacement spring you need to know how much your door weighs.

My buddy has a 16' door with the torsion set up, his father in law tried to adjust the torsion spring, they ended up taking the entire assembly apart and put it back together. The door wouldn't open, I went over to help and found that on one end of the door they wrapped the cable around the drum in the opposite direction :lol: by the time I got there they had damaged the top of the door and burnt out the opener :slap: :slap:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Midpenmopar

If you guys ever have garage door or electric opener questions you are always welcome to call me and i will give the answers to any questions you may. I have been doing this type of work since 1978 so i may not know much about anything else but i know garage doors.  :icon_smile_big:

Here's my phone # 650 438 6219  I am available from 0700 to 2000 hours PST.

Stu

:cheers:
Reality is only an illusion caused by a deficiency of alcohol.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: jeryst on June 13, 2010, 02:21:19 AM
Wow! I need to get some of those safety cables.

Where do you get them?
How hard are they to install?
Where do you attach the ends?
Any Home Depot /Lowes place has them cheap. You just run it through the spring and make sure each end is screwed/clipped/bolted whatever tight.

Very generous of you STU.  :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 12, 2010, 08:09:10 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 12, 2010, 02:23:56 PM
I love that sir speedy resto thing you got going below.  :hah: :2thumbs:

Thanks Rob! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic