News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

T3 440 1969 Charger 500 SE

Started by 72chargerSE, December 17, 2005, 12:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72chargerSE

O.K....Here's something I never do.... Look into the internet for information!! First, the story.....In 1975, when I was nine years old , my Dad bought a 1969 Charger 500 SE for the astronomical sum of $350 bones.Seriously. He bought it from a friend who worked in Seat Engineering with him at Chrysler. This gentlemen lived on 12 mile in Royal Oak, and the car was literally rotting (remember, this is 1975) behind his garage , door handle to door handle with a green 1969 Daytona ( I B.S. you not, the Daytona is still in the Detroit area repainted RED). At any rate, my Dad brought it home, and it spent the winter of 75-76 in the back yard of my Grandma's house in the Harper/ Chalmers area (try that today). Before it was parked, I remember my Dad taking Tom and I for rides in an industrial park in Warren, where all traffic was gone for the most part after 5:00 pm. By Dad would drive to the end of the street, point it towards 10 mile and let all MAJOR HELL break loose!!! It left a HUGE impression on a MOPAR lovin' 9 year old. In the Spring of 76, he started getting the car ready to sell.... as I remember, it wasn't in to bad of shape for a 7 year old car, but the quarters had rot and the decklid was shot. I remember helping my Dad, and learning quite a bit. The car was eventually painted by his buddy from the Chrysler paint shop in Highland Park, the "500" stripe being changed from black to white ('cause my Dad couldn't get a black one NOS back then from Centerline!!!),and the deck lid was actually rebuilt, in fiberglass, by our neighbor across the street, who was a pattern maker at the GM Tech Center !!!  I remember learning all I could about that car, and thinking that that smooth nose, A-pillar treatment and fastback rear window was so neat, because you never, ever saw another one like it back then. My Dad sold it to a young guy from the neighborhood, who actually is a member of our club today!!!!!!!!! He moved, with the car , to Orlando, FL. and sold the car in 1983...that's where the trail gets cold. I've spoke with him, Dave at Performance Car Graphics, Galen and others, and the car is reputed to be still in the Orlando area. The car was T3 Light Bronze Metallic, had a tan interior and was an SE (one of 7 or 8 SE's). It was a 440/automatic with a 3.23 sure grip. It had the plain jane wheel covers (not dog dishes). When I spoke with Randy about the car, and asked what it was like when he sold it in '83, he replied "rough". I'm not interested in buying it, as I would most likely have to pony up my Charger and some extra greenbacks for it... I just would like to know if the car is still around, as it was THE car that stands out most in my childhood, in fact, I still dream about it!!

Mike

hemi68charger

Wow.. cool story !!!!  I had a similiar situation, but I'll leave that for another day...

here's a T3 C500...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

That is a cool story and I hope you find it.  Seems to me I have a poster around here someplace of a T3 500.
Btw, I wouldn't even leave that car parked for 5 minutes in the daylight around Harper/Chalmers today.  A buddy of mine used to play ball at a diamond near there about 15 or so years ago and at that time, any balls hit out of the lighted zone, stayed there.

PocketThunder

Maybe its the one Fifth bought...  or is his T5?  he bought it thru the old site i think.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

72chargerSE

Who's Fifth??!!! Does he have an username?!
Thanks!

Mike

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger_Fan

Cool story! I hope you have good luck finding it. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger Aficionado

Mine is F8.   I have a magazine article saying that there were 13 500 SEs and 7-9 Daytona SEs...   Mine is one of 2-3 SEs with air (Until I see another with the fender tag saying SE/air)...   Only one I have seen is the T7 Bronze one the guy from Year One owhs...   I've talked with him before, and he is cool to talk with...   I BET he knows about that car!   I'll email him this post.   I know he is a member here...  

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on December 17, 2005, 10:05:04 PM
  Mine is F8.  I have a magazine article saying that there were 13 500 SEs and 7-9 Daytona SEs...  Mine is one of 2-3 SEs with air (Until I see another with the fender tag saying SE)...  Only one I have seen is the T7 Bronze one the guy from Year One owhs...  I've talked with him before, and he is cool to talk with...  I BET he knows about that car!  I'll email him this post.  I know he is a member here... 

I know of a C500 with air and is an SE. Met the gentleman at Darlington on 2001...... I'm almost 100% it was a SE w/air...

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

WINGMAN

A GOOD FRIND OF MINE HEAR IN KANSAS HAS A B5 SE AIR 500 THAT HE HAS HAD FOR YEARS, IT IS UNRESTORD.       JR
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

69_500

There is an F3 green SE with A/C that I know of as well. There is the T7 bronze car that is in Georgia that is an SE A/C car. I have also heard of the B5 blue one that is an SE with A/C.

I think that most of the SE Charger 500's have A/C. I think the one time I looked back in my information I had info on 8 or 9 500's that had A/C and half of them were SE cars.

Hemidoug

I've been trying to purchase an A4 500 SE with air for years now. It is parked OUTSIDE just rotting away. I've been after it for 10 or so years now. Everytime I see it my heart sinks a little more. One more thing, it is a vinyl roof car! Still has some of the roof on it as well as the special trim that goes along with it. 440/auto/power everything, A4, black gut and black vinyl roof. One of these days I'll get some pics and post them.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Ghoste

Doug, you gotta get some pics of that car before it's rotted away to nothing!  An A4 500 is my dream car.  The vinyl top and SE just add to it.  It'd sure be nice if someone could save it before it's too late. 

Charger Aficionado

Vinyl roof?   Do I recall someone saying that the trim is rarer than a "hen's tooth"?

As far as SE air cars...   Like I said:   "Until I see another with the fender tag saying SE/air"...

When I talked to Galen he said he thinks there is 4, but he had to check his records...   I'm betting that one of those 4 is mine (since previous owner said he showed Galen the tag at Carlisle)...   So if Galen says 4, and you guys know of that many others... well it doesn't make sense...     I know of that BEAUTIFUL B5 500, but that is NOT a SE...   I do know that there are a handful of 500s with 440/Air set-up, but those are not SEs...

I have looked at that Green pic SEVERAL times, and it does Not look like it has the regular Charger script logo...   Looks like an SE...

I can't wait untill the '69 Registry has COMPREHENSIVE Data concerning '69s!!!!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on December 18, 2005, 08:12:03 PM
  I can't wait untill the '69 Registry has COMPREHENSIVE Data concerning '69s!!!!

The C500 story may never be total known.... Gaien changed the production number of the C500's from the famous 392 to something like 580-ish.... I still find that hard to believe in that they lost money on each of them..... I hope the registry gets more data in the future for we're all at the mercy of input data..... May never know the exact numbers......  Maybe there's the holy grail out there somewhere.....

Troy
Troy

Ghoste

What was Galen basing that number on? As to his total for 500 SE's, remember he only counts things like that when they are the ones he has personally blessed.   If he doesn't physically lay his hands on the car and pronounce it's correctness, then it simply does not exist.
Yes I know that flies in the face of his raising the total built figure, but I am referring to a low production combination of options such as the number of 500 SE's or Hemi cars with a sunroof.   That sort of thing.

72chargerSE

My Dad's 69 T3 500 SE  did NOT have airconditioning!!

I remember that for a fact, he confirmed it today in a conversation!

Mike

69_500

An A4 500 that is an SE? Haven't ever heard of that car. Definately would be interested in some information on that car.

I have only seen a handful of factory A4 Charger 500's over the years. 2 of them being HEMI cars. ONe being an odd ball with blue interior.

I'll go through my fender tag information I have, but I know for a fact of 3 Charger 500 SE's that have A/C off the top of my head. One being F3 green, one is your car Aficianado, and the other is Alex's car.
However I do believe there is a B5 SE with A/C that is in the northeast of the country. And I think Troy is right on the green car he showed the photo of having A/C. I know it is definately an SE 500.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 72chargerSE on December 19, 2005, 06:02:47 PM
My Dad's 69 T3 500 SE  did NOT have airconditioning!!

I remember that for a fact, he confirmed it today in a conversation!

Mike

Cool Mike.. But as we all know, just because it's a SE, it doesn't need to have A/C......

Troy
Troy

69_500

It also holds true that just because the car has A/C and many other options that it didn't have to be a Charger 500 SE.

There was just the car this summer that came from California that had A/C, power steering, cruise control, power windows, and such but wasn't an SE car.

72chargerSE

I totally agree....My best buddy Chuck has a Q5 69 R/T SE with out air..

Remember...air wasn't to popular back then!!

69_500

A Q5 RT/SE now that would be a sweet ride. I love the Q5 color. I dream of getting my hands on a 500 that is Q5.

mikemopar

There was a B5 C500 SE in eastern Oregon that I found several years ago.  I need to see if it's still around.

72chargerSE

BUMP!!!!!!

I thought after a year I would bump this!! Maybe some new info??!!!

Mike

tan top

good story ,  must of   missed this thread last year  :rotz:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

THE CHARGER PUNK

theres a b5 blue 69 c500 se here in british columbia, only canadian export charger500se of the 12 or 13, it has a blue interior, 440/at white stripe-MATT

69_500

I do have an update on the 500 SE's with A/C. I do now have fender tag information for 4 cars that are SE's with A/C. ChargerAficianado's car is one, Alex's car is another, and then there is a gentleman here in Indianapolis who has 2 T5 bronze SE's with A/C. Both cars are identical. Both cars used to be owned by Reggie Jackson. Now I have still heard of a B5 blue SE with A/C but have yet to see any fender tag info for the car. Then there is still the A4 one that Doug has seen there in the northeast as well. Does anyone have any hard evidence  of any others?

I've been going through my information on 500's over the past few months like a madman. Memorizing VIN's, VON's, fender tag info and the such to see if there is any rhyme or reason to the sequence of VIN's to VON's or even VON's to build dates, or anything.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on December 18, 2005, 02:22:33 PM
There is an F3 green SE with A/C that I know of as well. There is the T7 bronze car that is in Georgia that is an SE A/C car. I have also heard of the B5 blue one that is an SE with A/C.

I think that most of the SE Charger 500's have A/C. I think the one time I looked back in my information I had info on 8 or 9 500's that had A/C and half of them were SE cars.

Danny,, are you referring to the T7 one in Georgia that's owned by a gentleman that works(ed) for Year One? If so, I think it's T5....

Troy
Troy

69_500

hemi68charger

Troy

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 17, 2005, 10:51:51 PM
I know of a C500 with air and is an SE. Met the gentleman at Darlington on 2001...... I'm almost 100% it was a SE w/air...
Troy
You know what's missing off of that Green one?  The AIR TEMP STICKER (not like I could see it anyway)...  My C500 has a CLEAR rear window w/ the Airtemp Sticker (how rare is that)? 

dads_69

There was a '69 500 in a wrecking yard here a while back that was pretty much gutted. I cut half the roof off w/the rear window plug and part of the trunk area off of it four years ago. I've been offered $2500.00 for it. I keep telling those knuckle heads, it ain't for sale. It was a copper color also like you describe, no vin. tag or any other info. anywhere to be found on the car. Core support was long gone as well the dash frame. I met the guy who owned it back in the mid 1980's. He restored the car and 20 minutes after he got it done it was totaled out by a woman driver running a stop sign. I sold some of the int. parts off of it to someone here last year, he lives on the East coast I remember. And it was a tan int. Hope it wasn't the car your looking for. If I still have any photos at all, I'll post them online here for you.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

nascarxx29

I had a car like that lined up for me for a $1000.00 awhile back in the 80-s It was in my friends junkyard Cecils auto parts.It was a F5 green car XS29L9B210749.Bill also owned a hemi 69 500. The guy Bill who gave it to his friend at the yard. .It was used to provide parts for the hemi 69 500.That later got sold to Don Garlits.I have pictures to locate it was a mess .But had the window and trim.The guy I turned it onto Gary Mendy sold it another guy I know who is restoring the car

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6760.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Troy your right his is T5 as well. I guess that makes charger Aficianado's the odd car out then. Since 3 of the 500 SE's with A/C are T5 bronze, his is the only odd ball that isn't that color. By the way ChargerAficianado I was looking through my book and I didn't see the information on your car. I know that I had some saved on my old computer but when it crashed I believe that I lost all the information I had on your car.

72chargerSE

Where are you located? My info on my Dad's 500 goes cold in Orlando, FL around 1983. PLEASE post pics if you have any!!

BTW, My Dad's SE 500 did not have airconditioning.

69_500

I don't have any info on a T3 bronze SE Charger 500 in the Florida area. That doesn't mean it isn't, just means I haven't seen one.

72chargerSE

69_500

I believe that I have seen a photo of a T3 500 SE. I think that Troy has posted it once before on here. Where is HEMI68CHARGER.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on January 31, 2007, 08:44:39 PM
I believe that I have seen a photo of a T3 500 SE. I think that Troy has posted it once before on here. Where is HEMI68CHARGER.

Hello !!!?? I'm here Danny....
Troy

hemigeno

I think this is Troy's picture that Danny was looking for (although it's not an SE):

69_500

Well its not the one I was thinking of. But I do recall that photo too. That is T3 for sure. Maybe I'm wrong on who posted the photo. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time. But I could have sworn I remember someone posting a photo of a T3 SE 500. It was a side shot, from the drivers side.

Charger Aficionado

72chargerSE, do you still have the VIN?  I bet you could trace it with that.  There are a few P.D. guys here that I'm sure would do it for you!  Try to research it.  PM me and I can pass it on, or give you some email addresses...

72chargerSE

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on February 04, 2007, 02:22:17 AM
72chargerSE, do you still have the VIN?  I bet you could trace it with that.  There are a few P.D. guys here that I'm sure would do it for you!  Try to research it.  PM me and I can pass it on, or give you some email addresses...

Thanks! Charger Aficionado! I will give my Dad a call.. neat thing, too.. I know the guy he bought it from, and the guy he sold it to!

Mike

69_500

If you do come accross the VIN to the car let me know. I know where quite a few of the 500's are currently located. And could save you a possible hassle with the PD.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: dads_69 on October 25, 2006, 10:51:24 PM
There was a '69 500 in a wrecking yard here a while back that was pretty much gutted. I cut half the roof off w/the rear window plug and part of the trunk area off of it four years ago. I've been offered $2500.00 for it. I keep telling those knuckle heads, it ain't for sale. It was a copper color also like you describe, no vin. tag or any other info. anywhere to be found on the car. Core support was long gone as well the dash frame. I met the guy who owned it back in the mid 1980's. He restored the car and 20 minutes after he got it done it was totaled out by a woman driver running a stop sign. I sold some of the int. parts off of it to someone here last year, he lives on the East coast I remember. And it was a tan int. Hope it wasn't the car your looking for. If I still have any photos at all, I'll post them online here for you.
Mark

I know Im bringing this back from the depths of the site...but did u ever find those pics? They would be interesting to see :shruggy: :popcrn:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic