News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know where I can get a fuel return style fuel filter?

Started by hotrod98, July 05, 2010, 10:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

A few weeks ago the bird vapor locked. That was before correcting the cooling system but I worry about it doing it again at some point. I was told by someone at a car show that if I had the correct fuel filter on the car that it would not vapor lock. They said that someone is making a return style fuel filter now just like the originals.
I've also been having issues with the 69 runner vapor locking occasionally even though the cooling system seems to be working just fine.

Anyone know where I could find that type of filter?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

b5blue

Search for "Vapor Return Canister" it's not much of a filter really, you require the correct return lines to the tank and a sending unit with the return tube built in. I used my original 318 fuel line as return and installed a larger fuel feed line hooked to a correct fuel sending unit. The canister mounts on 1 of the fuel pump bolts. Many places carry them. 

Redbird

You can buy the year one special or similar matching fuel filter that matches the factory design. If you view it as a disposable, a far less expensive route is to go to NAPA or CarQuest and get a similar 3 line filter for another car for about $10. The NAPA filter won't march the MOPAR design exactly, but you'll be throwing it away this fall anyway, and really are you competing for OEM Gold that often?

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

471_Magnum

Autozone has them too. $3.99 IIRC.

The factory ones have the return nipple on the inlet end. The Napa ones are on the outlet end. The Autozone ones are on the side (like the Mopar one shown in the auction).

I used the Autozone one on my Challenger along with the factory-style return line. In really hot weather I still had fuel boiling in the carbs, but never a fuel line vapor lock. With today's fuels, blocking the heat cross over is probably a good idea if you live anywhere summer temps exceed 85 degrees on a regular basis.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

maxwellwedge

If you are going for a "correct" style repop be careful. There were some off-shore ones around that were reversed internally. Car would drive for 30 seconds and then have the "run out of fuel" feel. I had a couple of cars with those and they were giving me fits until I figured it out. Badalson has the proper ones.

FJ5WING

got mine from Bill Alphin, I hope its a goodie.......
wingless now, but still around.

maxwellwedge

If you have the factory manual it shows a cut-away of the vap. sep. Put a small hook in a piece of strong wire and put it down the tubes. Feel around with the hooked end to find the end of the tubes inside and compare it to the cut-away drawing. That will tell you if you have a good one before you put it on the car. If it is already installed one drive will tell you if it is a good or bad one.

gtx6970

pandamarie

If your not looking for factory try the Fram G15 its 5/16" inlet and outlet with a 1/4" return, came on the early 60s Pontiac Super Duty cars. I have another fram filter on my car that is 3/8" inlet and outlet with 1/4" return numbers are worn off but it came off of a 62 or 63 Pontiac 421 Super Duty Grand Prix, its been awhile but hose have been the eaisest to find and a lot cheaper than the Mopar factory filter or even thier repops.

Charger RT

napa 3041 is 3/8 in and out with a 1/4 return. The return is next to the outlet instead of coming off the side. its application is a 66 GTO with a 389.
Tim

hotrod98

What keeps these filters from sending too much fuel back to the tank?  Do they have a regulator built in to them in some way?

Charles Addams

471_Magnum

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

This is the fuel vapor separator that Yearone shows to be correct for 68-71 440's and 426's.
Where does this mount? Any pics?

Charles Addams

talkiemopar

maxwellwedge

Here is a pic or 2.....

b5blue

Notice the correct lines and fuel pump with the little brass adapter thingy you need to add to the pump for the output line to fit proper. See how the orange paint is not covering everything completely......that's how it should be to be "correct" as the factory did it!   :yesnod: (I could go on and on!) Nice work Maxwellwedge!  :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Thanks - Sooner or later I had to get the hang of it!  :lol:

b5blue

I wanted to point it out in case he goes into it like I did! (Thanks again, you knew what Summit and Carter didn't!)

hotrod98

Those are great pics.
Now, does anyone other than Yearone sell the correct vapor separator? Their shipping would be almost as much as the part.

Charles Addams

hemigeno

hemigeno

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on July 13, 2010, 01:44:50 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 12, 2010, 03:32:04 PM
Here is a pic or 2.....

That mill looks awesome, Jim!

I was thinking the same thing.   Jim, I need to to head south for a week of detailing.