News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overheating issue-what am I missing- 66/383 AT

Started by 66chgr383, July 18, 2010, 12:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66chgr383

Re-cored radiator(professionally), new thermostat, flush and fill, had a mechanic check my work (I'm semi-mechanical) still running to the right side of the temp gauge, borderline danger zone-doesn't matter how long or what kind of driving, seems to drop down at idle- hasn't spewed as of yet.....suggestions? THANKS!!!!

b5blue

Check the gauge and sending unit, have a mechanic check temps with a hand held infrared gun. Timing can make it run hot but it normally spikes at idle and drops at cruising speed. Air pockets from not getting the system full. A restriction somewhere or a crappy pump.  :scratchchin:

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1970Moparmann

What temp you running when driving?  Need more information.  What kind of water pump/water pump housing/thermostat/mechanical fan or electric??........

If you answer yes to having a 440Source water pump housing, there's a huge write up about this..... I had a big overheating issue that I had to resolve...
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

A383Wing

don't rely on the stock gauge being accurate.....install an after market gauge set for oil press & water temp

1970Moparmann

Quote from: A383Wing on July 18, 2010, 05:56:02 PM
don't rely on the stock gauge being accurate....

I agree! 

Best thing to do is to get a laser heat gun and see exactly what your temperature is.  Check on the water pump housing/heads/block and report your findings. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Rolling_Thunder

what sending unit are you running ?  If you run the GM style one that is included with say an autometer gauge your temp will read high but it will not actually be hot.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip