News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proposed 999 (Petty/Corporate Blue) Superbird Registry thread.

Started by Arnie Cunningham, July 08, 2010, 06:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnie Cunningham

V01?  OK I will search the site for it.  Thanks,

Mopar John,
Were you the one the related the story of ordering a Petty Blue Hemi Superbird back in 1969.  Someone mentioned that they did but didn't think it would be built on time.  Maybe the one on the list is that car.

Thanks,
Brennan
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Alaskan_TA

Mopar John

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on August 20, 2010, 02:00:04 PM
V01?  OK I will search the site for it.  Thanks,

Mopar John,
Were you the one the related the story of ordering a Petty Blue Hemi Superbird back in 1969.  Someone mentioned that they did but didn't think it would be built on time.  Maybe the one on the list is that car.

Thanks,
Brennan
Brennan,
No. No Petty Blue Hemi Superbird for me back in 1969. But I wish I had one!
Mopar John

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on August 19, 2010, 03:30:05 PM
Greetings All,

I have put together a basic 999/Corporate/Petty Blue page for my website.
It can be read here:

http://www.brcook.com/id28.html

Please read through it and offer any comments, information, data etc. that you may have.  Does the page flow?  Does it tell the story?

Thanks,
Brennan R. Cook

Brennan, this is awesome!

Yes, it does flow and tell a story.   Perhaps the best I have ever seen in bringing all the pieces of known and suspected data together.  I particularly liked your Fender tag breakdown.

PS My Bird 158628 is NO console when you do your next update.

PSS I figured out how to load pictures!   These are the earliest pictures of my Superbird from 1983 when I bought it from the original owner.

rainbow4jd

Note:  the picture (above) with my wife sitting on the car was taking only moments before I was using a buffer wheel and had one of the loose hood pin cables slide down the fender, hit the buffer wheel and rat-tat-tat-tat smack the headlight, damaging the edge of the headlight bucket and dinging the fender.

I got sick to my stomache - really.

I had just finished my "college budget" restoration the night before and this was its first outing as a complete car.

Arnie Cunningham

Great photos.  A lot of our cars were in a similar state by the early 80s.  Mine look close to the same when I picked it up in 1981/1982.  Then they sat for another 20 years waiting, waiting, waiting.  At least now, a lot more parts are available.
Brennan
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

pettybird

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 20, 2010, 03:34:38 PM
I see no mention of V01 there?  :shruggy:

Sorry--999 as paint color and C37D as paint style.  I don't know if the factory only required C37D and added the 999 on their own or not, but that's how it is on my bcast sheet. 

Alaskan_TA

Can you clarify that please?

999 on your broadcast sheet or C37D or both?

pettybird

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 23, 2010, 03:18:01 PM
Can you clarify that please?

999 on your broadcast sheet or C37D or both?

paint type 37D
paint color 999

both are on the sheet

Alaskan_TA

Thanks! I do not recall seeing a broadcast sheet for one yet.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 23, 2010, 05:40:54 PM
Thanks! I do not recall seeing a broadcast sheet for one yet.

Is there anything else on a 999 bird that is unique on the bcast sheet?

Alaskan_TA

Wasn't there a guy on here wanting to fake one? If there is anything else different about them I would be surprised it it was mentioned now.

hemigeno

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 24, 2010, 11:27:09 PM
Wasn't there a guy on here wanting to fake one? If there is anything else different about them I would be surprised it it was mentioned now.

:yesnod:

Hence the question below:

Quote from: rainbow4jd on August 24, 2010, 10:51:01 PM
Is there anything else on a 999 bird that is unique on the bcast sheet?

rainbow4jd

Faking one with the intent to mislead someone into believing a vehicle is equipped with equipment that it was not originally equipped with is fraud and punishable by potential jail time and monetary fines.

Presuming to be the morals police and doing the chicken little fear dance of "in 100 years the reproduction will be sheet will be considered an original" is just paranoia.

Trying to force your opinions on another collector/restorer is just rude.

Fortunately, I wouldn't do any of that and I'm sure you wouldn't either.  Jes sayin'   :laugh:

69_500

Quote from: rainbow4jd on August 25, 2010, 06:30:03 PM

Faking one with the intent to mislead someone into believing a vehicle is equipped with equipment that it was not originally equipped with is fraud and punishable by potential jail time and monetary fines.

Presuming to be the morals police and doing the chicken little fear dance of "in 100 years the reproduction will be sheet will be considered an original" is just paranoia.

Fortunately, I wouldn't do any of that and I'm sure you wouldn't either.  Jes sayin'   :laugh:

Whether it was the intent to mislead someone or not, if in the future it does it is all the same. People who drive drunk don't intend on killing anyone on their way home either, but many times they do. One's intent isn't always the only argument.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: 69_500 on August 25, 2010, 07:19:02 PM
Quote from: rainbow4jd on August 25, 2010, 06:30:03 PM

Whether it was the intent to mislead someone or not, if in the future it does it is all the same. People who drive drunk don't intend on killing anyone on their way home either, but many times they do. One's intent isn't always the only argument.

You know, they overturned prohibition a while back.

The potential for abuse exists in anything.   Drunk driving is illegal, but drinking is not.   We laugh at the chicken little syndrome for a reason.... paranoia is not healthy.   

Your point of intent is 100% accurate - intent is not punishable in any format (unless it is the intent to commit a crime).    I can go out tonight and drink and actually do so without ever getting drunk.    It's called "drinking responsibly"

Just because something an honest person does could be used illegally down the road, doesn't mean we should condemn the honest person - and especially before ANY illegal act has ever occurred (and if someone else down the road does something THAT'S THE TIME to be condemning.

As for me - I happen to think collectors are honest upright people - unless you want to confess something. 

paul jacobs

RM23V0A169498
999 paint, 440-6, 4 spd, white interior, bench seat.  Car is completely original.  I'm not at liberty to dosclose the owner, but it is an incredible car!

Alaskan_TA

6bblgt

..... Barry are you still waiting for an answer? :shruggy: RM23V0A169498 is J99520
..... so, what have we learned in 5  :o years?  :scratchchin:

http://www.brcook.com/id28.html ** Brennan's 999 'Bird page

with the debut of "barn find/never titled" J99500 (RM23V0A149861 - Superbird assigned VIN #11) at Carlisle last weekend & the b'cast sheet for J99539 (RM23U0A176682) listed currently on eBay, that puts "Petty blue" Superbird production at 40 minimum (J99500 to J99539) are there any more?

by my count 28 accounted for 8 w/440+6, 19 w/440 4bbl, & 1 unknown (RM23?0A158629 J99502)

Dave mentioned J99542 in the thread (from DSAC Sept/Oct 2006 newsletter).  Does anyone know the VIN?

Arnie Cunningham

Hey All,
Just a wild guess, but is it possible they made 43 of these?
Brennan

Arnie Cunningham

Hey All, I misplaced Mike Angelucci's contact info so I thought this would be the best way to add some more info to the J95000 story.
I was contacted by:

While surfing the net this morning I came across a feature about barn finds.
This is a longshot BUT
did Mike Angeluccis Plymouth Superbird come from the Big Rapids, MI area?
As a young fellow, I remember seeing a blue Plymouth Superbird doing a "static burnout" (one foot on the gas, the other on the brake?) at the Burger Chef in downtown Big Rapids MI way back in the day.
I always wondered what happened to that car.
I'm wondering if it is the one Mike Angelucci currently owns.
I'm guessing it was from the local Marco Chrysler Plymouth Dodge dealership and possibly driven when I saw it by Darrell Marvel or maybe his brother.
If it's the same car then it must have been stored within a few miles of my house all these years.
Small world if it is indeed the same car.

Guy Van Syckle

Thanks for the response Brennan.
Yes, Darrells father had a dealership here called Marco Dodge Plymouth Chrysler. I think Darrell has one brother so either of them may be the 17 year old that crashed the Superbird.
I contacted you after doing some Googling about Mr. Angeluccis barn find. Thought maybe you'd have more backstory about it or maybe contact info for Mr. Angelucci.
I also remember being told back in the day that the car was a 440 as well. While I was a little bummed it wasn't a hemi, it was still a Superbird and way cool to me.
In later years Darrell took over the dealership, and for a few years he ran a SS/AA Cuda. I was a credentialed photographer with NHRA and IHRA for a few years. Got a nice shot of Darrells Cuda at Indy one year, gave him a copy at the dealership when I had one of my cars serviced there. I think Darrell then ran a Hemi Dart for a couple years before quitting drag racing.
The story of the Superbird, how it was damaged, age of the driver, father owning a dealership, it's now in Cleveland I believe (which is not THAT far from here), all make me think this particular one is the one from here in town.
If you wish to or can, feel free to pass this on to Mr. Angelucci.
Guy

Also: Calling Mike Hill.  This person knows of Hemi Cudas being campaigned back in the day - maybe a lead, however slight, for your engine.

Brennan

6bblgt

Mike A's Superbird was shipped new to a dealership in NY.  I'll see if I can find more info.

pettybird

Mike's car is from Little Valley Auto Sales in Salamanca, New York.  Brennan I'll PM you his number.

Arnie Cunningham