News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

enclosed car hauler

Started by rrob, July 05, 2010, 06:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrob

I am looking for an enclosed car hauling trailer for my 69 charger. I'm thinking of a 20 foot unit, is this one going to be to small? I know the car will fit in but just and I won't have to much room for other stuff. Anyone have experience with this size or should I go longer? Any advice would be appreciated before I make a purchase.  Cheers.   Rob
69 charger, 440, automatic

moparstuart

Quote from: rrob on July 05, 2010, 06:54:08 PM
I am looking for an enclosed car hauling trailer for my 69 charger. I'm thinking of a 20 foot unit, is this one going to be to small? I know the car will fit in but just and I won't have to much room for other stuff. Anyone have experience with this size or should I go longer? Any advice would be appreciated before I make a purchase.  Cheers.   Rob
22 would give you  a little room to center it correctly , my wingcar with nose does great in my buddys 24 footer
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

chargerboy69

Just bought one yesterday to be honest. I bought a 24 ft. Hallmark with a winch and cabinets in the front. I would not go any shorter than a 24 ft. trailer. Just my opinion.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

chargergirl

24' is the smallest enclosed we have. If you need to walk around the car it gives you some leeway. Also see if you can find one with the small escape door on the driver side. Not necessary and they are prone to leaking a bit but well worth it when you have to open the door more than a bit to get out. We bought ours from a guy that used to race motorcycles so there are plenty of D-rings and really cool bike wheel holders that fold into the floor. 24' feet gives you room to breath. We usually carry all the food, drink, and misc. supplies when we travel...since I cook so it helps to have the extra room for parts and the like.
Trust your Woobie!

Old Moparz

Quote from: rrob on July 05, 2010, 06:54:08 PM

I agree, go longer if you can. I have a 16 foot flatbed car hauler & have less flexibility in moving the larger cars forward or rearward to distribute the weight. I went 16 so it fits into my garage with a car on it, but have yet to do that. It tows fine, but it would have been better to go with at least an 18 footer.  :Twocents:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

69 OUR/TEA

When I was going thru the decision on a enclosed trailor I to was thinking a 20 footer,but alot of people talked me out of it and I'm glad they did.I ended up getting an American Hauler 24' w/the escape door and 5000lb axles so it has 6 lug wheels and 12'' brakes.The dry weight of the trailor is 3,350lb,and can put 6,640lb in it.It also has a slight v-nose to it for alittle more air splitting,and gives it a nice spot for the floor mounted winch.
If you go with 3,500lb axles,your payload is only at 3,500lbs,and alot cars hit that no problem,never mind not being able to put stuff in it.I also am so glad I got the escape door as I can drive a car in ,open the door and get out no problem,as I use this trailor as another garage space.
Really consider a 24',I'll show you some pics with a car in it so imagine if it were 4' shorter how the front of the car would be real close to the wall.There is about 1 1/2' behind the car and about 4-5' in front.And that the car in it now IS shorter than a Charger.

69 OUR/TEA

pics......

Troy

How deep is your garage? Most new houses seem to have 20' garages and you can't walk around a Charger with the garage door closed (at least not without sliding down the front and back). A 22' trailer would be nicer but, really, a 24' is about perfect since you can carry stuff other than your car, shift the car forward/back for weight distribution, and have some room to work the tie-downs (try getting in front of AND under a car in a 20' enclosed trailer). Obviously I'd make sure it had 10,000 pound capacity at least (even on a 20' trailer).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Troy on July 06, 2010, 10:47:30 AM
How deep is your garage? Most new houses seem to have 20' garages and you can't walk around a Charger with the garage door closed (at least not without sliding down the front and back). A 22' trailer would be nicer but, really, a 24' is about perfect since you can carry stuff other than your car, shift the car forward/back for weight distribution, and have some room to work the tie-downs (try getting in front of AND under a car in a 20' enclosed trailer). Obviously I'd make sure it had 10,000 pound capacity at least (even on a 20' trailer).

Troy

Troy, who are you asking about their garage depth? If you were asking me, the right half is 24' deep with a 16' wide door. The plan was if I was to trailer something that was unfinished or unpainted, I could back the entire thing inside with the car on it. It'll fit if I moved some junk.  :lol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Troy

I was asking the OP because it makes a good comparison. If you can't work on your car without opening the garage door then imagine how much fun it will be to stuff a car into the same space but then have to crawl under it to strap it in.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: chargerboy69 on July 05, 2010, 07:20:33 PM
Just bought one yesterday to be honest. I bought a 24 ft. Hallmark with a winch and cabinets in the front. I would not go any shorter than a 24 ft. trailer. Just my opinion.

I agree, :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

chargergirl

Quote from: Troy on July 06, 2010, 02:49:07 PM
I was asking the OP because it makes a good comparison. If you can't work on your car without opening the garage door then imagine how much fun it will be to stuff a car into the same space but then have to crawl under it to strap it in.

Troy

Good analogy!
Trust your Woobie!

rrob

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on July 06, 2010, 10:28:25 AM
When I was going thru the decision on a enclosed trailor I to was thinking a 20 footer,but alot of people talked me out of it and I'm glad they did.I ended up getting an American Hauler 24' w/the escape door and 5000lb axles so it has 6 lug wheels and 12'' brakes.The dry weight of the trailor is 3,350lb,and can put 6,640lb in it.It also has a slight v-nose to it for alittle more air splitting,and gives it a nice spot for the floor mounted winch.
If you go with 3,500lb axles,your payload is only at 3,500lbs,and alot cars hit that no problem,never mind not being able to put stuff in it.I also am so glad I got the escape door as I can drive a car in ,open the door and get out no problem,as I use this trailor as another garage space.
Really consider a 24',I'll show you some pics with a car in it so imagine if it were 4' shorter how the front of the car would be real close to the wall.There is about 1 1/2' behind the car and about 4-5' in front.And that the car in it now IS shorter than a Charger.
Excellant information and the pictures tell a lot, I think I will be looking for a 24 footer.   Rob

rrob

Quote from: Troy on July 06, 2010, 10:47:30 AM

Troy

Hi Troy: My garage is 28 feet deep, so lots of room. Good to hear from people that have some experience with enclosed trailers before I buy. I assume the torsion tube suspension would be the way to go as well?  Cheers.  Rob

1970Moparmann

I have a place locally that I rent enclosed trailers.  What I was shocked at was the mileage difference between the 24' and the 20'.  Sure the 24' is the best option for size, but the weight difference and size added at least a 3 - 4 mile decrease in mileage.  I'm not sure what the make is of the ones I rent, but the 24' is taller, and considerably heaver.  I can even tell towing the trailer empty....  :Twocents:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

rrob

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 11, 2010, 10:43:53 PM
I have a place locally that I rent enclosed trailers.  What I was shocked at was the mileage difference between the 24' and the 20'.  Sure the 24' is the best option for size, but the weight difference and size added at least a 3 - 4 mile decrease in mileage.  I'm not sure what the make is of the ones I rent, but the 24' is taller, and considerably heaver.  I can even tell towing the trailer empty....  :Twocents:
That's an interesting consideration. Did you have any trouble tying down the cars because of lack of length on the 20?

maxwellwedge

When I had my old 20' - even E-Bodies were a pain to tie the front down properly. A winch is almost a must - makes the job a ton easier. I ended up with a 24' goose-neck and it pulls like a dream.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: rrob on July 12, 2010, 06:17:55 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 11, 2010, 10:43:53 PM
That's an interesting consideration. Did you have any trouble tying down the cars because of lack of length on the 20?

I never have.  Maybe it's because where the tie downs are located in this trailer.   I've towed my 68 Coronet, 68 Charger, and 70 Charger in a 20'.  It's tight, but worked fine for me.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

bill440rt

Going off the subject here on tie downs, I just installed an E-track system with a friend in my trailer. Makes tying the car down much easier, and is supposed to be more secure than just D-rings in the floor with a 4-point system.

22" - 24" footer minimum, and look into a wide body trailer as it is still tight getting the car in even with a wide body.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce