News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever make interior panels?

Started by sandmbmx88, December 17, 2005, 06:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandmbmx88

I was wondering if anyone has ever made custom interior panels for a car.  I need to make a panel for the rear dash and id like to recover the door panels to make them black. is there kits that just come with vinyl for the door panels? for the rear panel im thinking on just taking some hardboard and cutting it into the correct shape, then covering it with thin foam then cover it in vinyl by glueing from the underside.  anyone have any other ideas? the car is caged and has no back seat so i want everything to seem complete and street ready even though there is no back seat.
all ideas welcome
-joe

THE CHARGER PUNK

you can buy new package trays from year one and paddock parts , and why would you wanna recover the back door panels be way more $$$ then to just buy new ones for cheaper-MATT

Troy

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on December 17, 2005, 06:53:43 PM
you can buy new package trays from year one and paddock parts , and why would you wanna recover the back door panels be way more $$$ then to just buy new ones for cheaper-MATT
Try reading before responding. The car has a cage and no rear seat so the edges of a standard package tray and door panels aren't going to be hidden by the seat and there will still be a huge hole looking into the trunk.

I think the idea is to make it look like something stock even thought there's pieces missing. If that's the case then you can make them fairly easily. I forget the name of the board to use but an upholstery or car stereo shop should be able to tell you and probably sell you some as well. I've used 1/4" and 1/2" foam to make "padded" speaker enclosures and it's pretty easy. Since you're making panels you can either glue the edges down or use small staples. It is hard to put a design on them if your are inexperienced and a flat panel that big is going to look out of place. It might actually be cheaper to have a shop make them and they can add some design elements to break up the space.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

sandmbmx88

yea im going to look around and see what i can find. i found the hardboard that looks exactly like my stock door panels backing. in my charger the back panel vinyl is split into 3 sections by just butted up stitching. The door panels look like the verticle lines in the rectangle are just pressed into that design.  Im going to buy some vinyl and find someone who can sew it and sew up some stuff trying to duplicate that. if it looks bad ill just pay to have it done.  I also wasnt given ANY of the headliner. does anyone  know of a full replacement kit? i was looking on year one and it was kinda confusing becase it just seemed like they wanted to replace the fabric and not the hardwear but i wasnt sure.

Troy

I don't think you can buy the headliner hardware (if you are talking about the bows and clips). I've seen used sets going for $20-50 though. If you are looking at a headliner from any of the repro places it's probably just the fabric.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparguy01

Have you ever thought about maybe just tinning it like in alot of race cars? or you can use some heavy poster board to make a pattern, then use that pattern to cut something out of a wood, then you can cover them any wya you want to.

sandmbmx88

Quote from: moparguy01 on December 18, 2005, 09:30:48 PM
Have you ever thought about maybe just tinning it like in alot of race cars? or you can use some heavy poster board to make a pattern, then use that pattern to cut something out of a wood, then you can cover them any wya you want to.
yea the car is not back halved or tubbed though its still going to be street legal and street driven so i didnt really want to go all aluminum.

ive never taken apart a headliner but it looks like its just rods that bend up and go across the roof holding it up at like 2 points then all the rest just gets tucked in around the edges. maybe if i buy the headliner fabric i can just build the rest myself. no need for it to look stock or perfect for that matter. i have time to think of all this stuff because i can always change stuff around further down the road.  I was watching hp tv awhile ago and they had one of those tech tips things and it was making door panels out of this foam stuff then gluing fabric directly to it. it was pretty cool stuff. anyone remember which episode that was?