News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oh crap! blew out my left side muffler

Started by 70charginglizard, June 18, 2010, 10:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Well I'm about on my wits ends. I took it up to the Marysville speed shop showed them my old no. 6 lifters and they were pretty convinced that there was nothing wrong with my cam. The lifters had absolutely no dishing what so ever and perfectly normal wear patterns. They did find a small crack on the connection flange where it connects up to the HP exhaust manifold and they welded that up for me but unfortunately I had to bring it home after that for a photo shoot I just couldnt miss. They also told me that it was also leaking thru the heat riser in the HP exhaust manifold and they wanted me to get that fixed before I brought it back up for further diagnosis. So thats all done now but I'm still getting a persistant ticking noise on the top passenger side of the motor around no. 6.
I'm really beginning to get a very bad feeling about this whole thing. I hope it's just something with the head and not the bottom end of the motor. That will just totally suck. The noise continues and I've done my best to track it but I'm going to really just have to bring it back up the shop and let the pros deal with it from here I think. I cant really do much more with it at home other then being very depressed about the whole sit rep.
Better get ready to pull that wallet out.

Here we go again.  :rotz:
70charginglizard

Sublime/Sixpack

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems, hang in there and don't give up the faith.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

charger Downunder

Lifters are cheap i would replace them all and see how the car goes.I just replaced mine and it wasnt hard to do.
By the way has you car been having a rough idle or like running on seven cylinders on cold start up.
[/quote]

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70charginglizard

Quote from: charger Downunder on July 27, 2010, 11:10:47 PM
Lifters are cheap i would replace them all and see how the car goes.I just replaced mine and it wasnt hard to do.
By the way has you car been having a rough idle or like running on seven cylinders on cold start up.

No, actually the engines running quite smooth no issues what so ever on start up. Other then this stupid ticking noise around no 6 cylinder (which I replaced the lifters at in hopes of eliminating the ticking) and there is absolutely no run on upon stopping either. If it wouldnt be for the ticking I would say it's running perfectly.

The exhaust system has been check up and down all over with my new stethiscope and I'm just not able to localize where the tick is coming from but it's definately still there and it's coming from the passenger side of the motor somewhere. Just cant zero in on it with the stethiscope.

I'm hopeful that a mechanic a buddy of mine knows will be able to tell me for sure where and what is causing this issue. Were bringin it up to him on Saturday. Cross those fingers.
70charginglizard

Belgium R/T -68

Really hope it's something that's easy (read cheap) to fix. I surely know how it feels having those kind of problems instead of just enjoying the car. Keep it up. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

b5blue

Mine ticks since the rebuild until it heats up real well. I consider it a annoyance at worst. Valve train geometry changes with any build and I tried to use the least messed with heads and just had the block checked for normal deck height tolerance, not perfection. I have some used Crane ductile iron rockers to put on but having bought and installed all new Mopar Performance H.D. rockers, shafts and pushrods from Mancini along with the new lifters and cam, valve retainers, proper springs, ect. along with all the other crap I've bought and installed I put ticking on start up pretty low on my list of priority's. (I would still need the cupped pushrods for the rockers, more $$)  :eek2:

70charginglizard

Quote from: b5blue on July 28, 2010, 04:10:56 PM
Mine ticks since the rebuild until it heats up real well. I consider it a annoyance at worst. Valve train geometry changes with any build and I tried to use the least messed with heads and just had the block checked for normal deck height tolerance, not perfection. I have some used Crane ductile iron rockers to put on but having bought and installed all new Mopar Performance H.D. rockers, shafts and pushrods from Mancini along with the new lifters and cam, valve retainers, proper springs, ect. along with all the other crap I've bought and installed I put ticking on start up pretty low on my list of priority's. (I would still need the cupped pushrods for the rockers, more $$)  :eek2:

It's just buggin the hell out of me.

It never did this over the last 8 years I've been driving on it and then all the sudden after the six pack when I got everything I really wanted on the motor on it it starts doing this.

I am just totally paraniod that it's going to turn into something big and knock my whole motor out if I don't address it now.

I'll get it figured out eventually.

Thanks for all the support though you guys. It helps.
70charginglizard

70charginglizard

OMG!

I am such an idiot sometimes   ::)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its 8:32PM and all is well between me and the lizard.  :smilielol:
70charginglizard

charger Downunder

Is that an exhaust manifold gasket. Do you have stock heads and stock exhaust manifold.If so i thought there is no gasket. If this is your problem a very easy fix. :2thumbs:
[/quote]

b5blue

70charginglizard

Must have happened when I had that backfire that blew out the muffler.

Got the gasket here too.  :slap:
70charginglizard

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

70charginglizard

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on July 29, 2010, 06:58:46 AM
Congrats on finding the problem.

Now to fix it!    http://catalog.remflex.com/MOPAR_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/rf6002.htm

Already done. I was on it last night when I found the problem with the other one.

Luckily I had a new spare on hand.

I know some people like to run without the exhaust manifold gasket but I myself dont like to take the risk of a non flush manifold to head contact surface so I use the gaskets. (always graphite one because they are the only ones that actually seem to work right)

Were all good now. Drove it in to work today and it drove like a champ. ticking noise is completely gone now.  :D :cheers:

watch out now....lol
http://news.yahoo.com/video/odd-15749658/21119693
70charginglizard

charger2fast4u

glad to hear you found the problem ive been following this thread since you started it. all it turned out to be was the exhaust gasket? good to see you fixed another problem along the way with the crack on the flange. did you by any chance take a pic of the crack?

70charginglizard

Quote from: charger2fast4u on July 29, 2010, 01:35:12 PM
did you by any chance take a pic of the crack?

Well you can kind of see that busted off corner of the head in this pic in the very back lower valve cover stud location.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thats all fixed now too.  :D
70charginglizard

firefighter3931

Glad to hear the stud trick worked  :icon_smile_big: Did you JB weld it in there ?  ;)

I've had very good results using the MLS Percy's gaskets which are made of aluminum. They are totally reusable as well....last gaskets you'll ever buy.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70charginglizard

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 29, 2010, 07:38:09 PM
Glad to hear the stud trick worked  :icon_smile_big: Did you JB weld it in there ?  ;)

I've had very good results using the MLS Percy's gaskets which are made of aluminum. They are totally reusable as well....last gaskets you'll ever buy.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Yep. JB weld did the trick on the head. It was that new JB weld that comes in a stick the is semi premolded already. Stuff worked like a charm.

Great stuff as long as the surface if completely paint and dirt free.
Worked great! :2thumbs:
70charginglizard

firefighter3931

Quote from: 70charginglizard on July 30, 2010, 08:49:17 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 29, 2010, 07:38:09 PM

Ron

Yep. JB weld did the trick on the head. It was that new JB weld that comes in a stick the is semi premolded already. Stuff worked like a charm.

Great stuff as long as the surface if completely paint and dirt free.
Worked great! :2thumbs:

Right on Kelly  :2thumbs:

If you blow out an Ultraseal gasket again have a look at the Percy's dead soft aluminum.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs