News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the advantage of hood insulation?

Started by JimShine, July 19, 2005, 04:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

8WHEELER

I have only run a hood pad once on my 69 I had for one year in 81, I have never had one on a car since, no over heating problems or rubbing air cleaner infact I run the dual plane M1 intake now that is basicaly stock and there is no way the pad would clear I checked that.

I like both looks and yes I sanded the hell on the bottom side of the hood, 5yrs now no paint problems.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

hemigeno

Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on July 19, 2005, 07:08:30 PM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 19, 2005, 06:57:42 PM
when i took my 73 440 apart . i found insulation between the intake manifold and the valley pan from the factory. to keep the engine noise down. Rene

Like this......most of the lo po engines got it

Chris, I had heard that all B/RB engines got the intake silencer - it was supposedly installed to quiet down lifter noise.   I read this most recently in the PCG catalog...

Quote from: Performance Car Graphics Catalog

Bet you didn't know your 361-383-426W-440 engine originally had noise insulation between the intake manifold and the pan!   Used on all versions of these engines, silencer package #1879747 is two pieces of fiberglass insulation wrapped in tinfoil, as original.
It is POSSIBLE to install these exactly-reproduced pieces after your manifold is already in place, but it's much easier to do like the factory did.   The pieces were placed on the pan, large piece in front, small piece in rear, then the manifold was bolted in.   These pieces should have engine paint overspray.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I read that as well but I have never seen it on a performance engine though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

8WHEELER

Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on July 21, 2005, 08:56:20 PM

Me as well, I have never seen that insulation on an original  HP engine only 67-68-69 350 horse non HP engines out of C-Bodys.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

My 68 Road Runner had it.  Still on there actually since I know where the car is.  I was the second owner of the car and I knew the original owner so I can state with certainty that it was original on that 383.

694spdRT

Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 21, 2005, 10:34:33 PM
Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on July 21, 2005, 08:56:20 PM

Me as well, I have never seen that insulation on an original   HP engine only 67-68-69 350 horse non HP engines out of C-Bodys.

Dan

I pulled a non HP 440 out of a '71 Imperial that still had the original insulation also.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Steve P.

I pulled a 440 out of a 72' Imperial that had it. It was quite nasty..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Now that I think back, my 69 Super Bee had it too.  I have no idea of the pedigree with that cars engine though.  It had been beat hard before I finished it off so I can't imagine it was the original engine.
Super Bee and Road Runner though, maybe they got it?  A nice touch with the unsilenced air cleaner.

bull

I'm just guessing here but I think the insulation has more to do with noise control than heat control. Heat always rises of course and insulation would absorb most of the heat that doesn't radiate out the sides and bottom of the engine compartment so I don't think insulation helps reduce heat other than offer some protection to your hood. Maybe if it's 110 degrees out it would protect the engine from heat coming in but I doubt anything will help at that temp. Motion and the fan are the only things that really dissipate hot air in the engine compartment so I would say it's more of a noise thing. If it was a heat issue Mopar probably would have installed heat shields like you see on modern mufflers and cats. If anything I would say insulation would help more in cold weather situations rather than in hot weather. The whole idea is not to keep an engine cool per se, it's to maintain an operating temperature.

Headrope

My understanding is that the original reason for the padding was noise insulation. Similar padding is installed on the inside of the firewall, under kickpanels and the carpet - which would seem to keep with the noise insulation theory.

There has been somewhat a debate over the years as to whether or not asbestos was in the original hood padding and firewall insulation material, on some cars. In addition to being flame retardant asbestos is supposedly great at absorbing noise.

To answer your question, though. I personally do not see an advantage in having hood insulation, other than keeping the underside of the hood clean. I removed mine. The engine seems to cool down quicker and the extra half inch of clearance I gained gave me more options when I wanted to play around with carb, intake and air cleaner combinations without needing a hood scoop.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Charger Steve

When I completed the restoration on my 68 Charger 3 years ago I put a hood insulation pad on because it had one when it was new. This new pad rubbed on the air cleaner and the A.C. compressor. I cut holes in the pad to "cover up" that probblem but I didn't like the way it looked so I took off the pad. I do not understand why this is. Can anyone explain ?
Charger Steve

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Charger Steve on February 18, 2008, 01:15:36 AM
When I completed the restoration on my 68 Charger 3 years ago I put a hood insulation pad on because it had one when it was new. This new pad rubbed on the air cleaner and the A.C. compressor. I cut holes in the pad to "cover up" that probblem but I didn't like the way it looked so I took off the pad. I do not understand why this is. Can anyone explain ?
Did you use the old "dirty rag" loose type of repro pad or the newer molded type pad?  The molded ones hug the contours of the inner hood structure better & do not sag.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mike DC

The hood needs to be insulated so your female friends won't burn their bare buns on the sheetmetal at a bad time.  Spoils the mood.