News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Diplomat 3 speed stick problem!

Started by XXSpiralXX, July 30, 2010, 03:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XXSpiralXX

I recently bought an 81 Diplomat 2 door with a 3 speed stick.  I had a problem last night with it getting stuck in 2nd gear. Couldnt get it out and managed to limp it to a friends house. Now, we got it free but the shifter wont move side to side. Is it the shifter or is it the trans? It is a slant six with a centerforce clutch and a Hurst shifter. Any help would be appreciated!

Tilar

The linkages from the shifter to the tranny are probably out of adjustment.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

XXSpiralXX

Ok, so later that night we got under the car, messed with the linkage and got it free. The next day the same thing happened again though. So we messed with it some more and it got stuck in second so bad that we couldnt even get it out of gear with vicegrips and the shifter off!  Now the trans is in the back of my truck waiting to go to the tranny guy.  From what we found, the bushings on the shifter were COMPLETELY fubared and the clips were also bad. There was also one adjustment screw missing. What we determined was that the trans was never fully " in gear " when I was driving the car! The thought is, my diagnosis is that I either bent the forks OR toasted a synchro. Hopefully I didn't completely waste it as I am supposed to take it on vacay this weekend and the gf refuses to go in my work truck OR my Charger since it's still in it's multicolored paint scheme.

Tilar

I would bet that if you could get the tranny out of gear that it would be alright, then just replace the shifter or put new bushings in it.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

XXSpiralXX

That's what were working on. Didn't get a chance to open up the case today. I did go and pick up the bushings and the clips though.

XXSpiralXX

Ok so we managed to get the trans out and open and WHOA man was there a mess inside!!! We had to replace synchros and dogs and all sorts of other good stuff. I also found out one of the forks was messed up. Now, as we were putting the trans back in we noticed the little details that for some reason I missed when I was looking over the car. The entire conversion is SNAFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I would have to go and redo basically the entire thing! I don't even think the pedals are correct, they should be from a Volare.  I am now thinking of just dropping a 904 back into the car if I can find one that came from a 225.

TruckDriver

That's gotta be a rare car. I never heard of a stick in a Diplomat :shruggy:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

XXSpiralXX

Quote from: TruckDriver on October 06, 2010, 07:58:13 PM
That's gotta be a rare car. I never heard of a stick in a Diplomat :shruggy:

Right now it's about as rare as any non driving car. The last owner paid a shop to do the conversion and got ripped off. Instead of installing new parts that the guy paid for, they installed fragged stuff from a 73 duster instead. Nothing in the conversion was done right. I've never done a stick shift conversion, but I think I can do a better job, with my gf nagging me, and drunk, and using nothing but some twisty ties scotch tape. I will post pics when I can figure out how, and have the time to do so.

XXSpiralXX

XXSpiralXX

For some reason It won't allow me to post more pics, I keep getting error messages and telling me I'm double posting or that there is already an attachment with that name. When I figure it out I will post more.

mikepmcs

couple things.
first. each of your pictures have to be below 200kb and they all have to be named differently and not have the same as any other picture on this site.
name your pictures something arbitrary like              hygiwhdjufidhjfifh12345.jpg
each one has to have a different name.

secondly, if your GF will not ride with you in your work truck or your charger because she doesn't like the way they look....get rid of her.   :lol: :Twocents: :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

XXSpiralXX

Trying again with the pics