News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

superbird nose airflow ?

Started by sound5262, August 10, 2010, 03:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound5262

did any of ya'll discover any change with the tempature of the radiator when you finished with your clone?

moparstuart

Quote from: sound5262 on August 10, 2010, 03:04:50 PM
did any of ya'll discover any change with the tempature of the radiator when you finished with your clone?
yes car ran hotter , so i put an electric fan on a switch in the nose  and a bigger raditor in it .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

sound5262

i have alluminum heads on my 500 street crate motor and it runs around 195-200 with the stock radiator. do you think it would be a good thing to put a showd on? as well as going with an alluminum radiator? i was told that would be a good idea. whats your thoughts.

nascarxx29

Got all your nose seals in.Bottom valance on  :Twocents:.Also I had used a fleaxite 1318 flex fan pulls in greats amount of air idling with the little superbird opening
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

Quote from: sound5262 on August 10, 2010, 03:12:55 PM
i have alluminum heads on my 500 street crate motor and it runs around 195-200 with the stock radiator. do you think it would be a good thing to put a showd on? as well as going with an alluminum radiator? i was told that would be a good idea. whats your thoughts.
yes add electric fan , schroud , and aluminum radiator

elacruze

If it never gets warmer than 200 you don't need to do anything. I put shrouds on everything, because it's easy and it works. With a shroud and clutch fan you'll probably stay right on the thermostat. Aluminum radiators don't cool any better than brass or copper, they only see changes a little faster, which is meaningless to you on the road.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

billssuperbird

A383Wing

Quote from: moparstuart on August 10, 2010, 04:52:18 PM

I did that....will test out the Daytona this weekend...gonna be going through Oregon on Friday & Saturday in 95* weather....will see how it does

FJ5WING

I had a on/off switched pusher and I would throw it on when the temps got up and would let it run for several minutes after shutting her down.

with a pusher it goes very un-noticed concealed under the latch tray.

wingless now, but still around.

moparstuart

Quote from: FJ5WING on August 11, 2010, 08:47:03 AM
I had a on/off switched pusher and I would throw it on when the temps got up and would let it run for several minutes after shutting her down.

with a pusher it goes very un-noticed concealed under the latch tray.

me too 

A383Wing

me three...got on-off switch under the dash to turn it on whenever I want

sound5262

thanks everyone for your opinions and comments. the pusher fan seems to be the trick i think. plan on starting the conversion sometime this fall. i would sure love some help if i run into some ?'s. thanks for everything, steve

moparstuart

Quote from: sound5262 on August 11, 2010, 09:07:23 PM
thanks everyone for your opinions and comments. the pusher fan seems to be the trick i think. plan on starting the conversion sometime this fall. i would sure love some help if i run into some ?'s. thanks for everything, steve
just ask i'm sure someone will help you here .

62 Max

Don't try to re-invent the wheel.Correct ignition timing, radiator,shroud, fan, water pump, thermostat and all the seals = 190* or less in temp.That is how they worked when new. :scratchchin:

hemi68charger

Quote from: 62 Max on August 12, 2010, 01:50:39 PM
Don't try to re-invent the wheel.Correct ignition timing, radiator,shroud, fan, water pump, thermostat and all the seals = 190* or less in temp.That is how they worked when new. :scratchchin:

Unfortunately, down here in the South, we run into heating problems when the ambient temperature approaches or gets to 100+ degrees. I've talked to Ted Janak at length about this being that he lives not far from me. He stated he had these very issues when he was driving them new. I 100% agree with you though in that the engineers back in the day knew what they were doing... That's why I leave everything as close to OEM as possible, and she still runs great and without issue...

What diameter fans do you have there Stuart? I was thinking about a 16" diameter fan.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dave Kanofsky

Believe it or not, George Wallace was telling us that they wanted to go with a one core radiator to keep the air moving through as quickly as possible.  IIRC he said it would have needed to be quite a bit bigger than the core support would allow.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 13, 2010, 06:56:15 AM

Unfortunately, down here in the South, we run into heating problems when the ambient temperature approaches or gets to 100+ degrees. I've talked to Ted Janak at length about this being that he lives not far from me. He stated he had these very issues when he was driving them new. I 100% agree with you though in that the engineers back in the day knew what they were doing... That's why I leave everything as close to OEM as possible, and she still runs great and without issue...

What diameter fans do you have there Stuart? I was thinking about a 16" diameter fan.......
my pusher fan , is a condenser fan out of a toyota corolla ,  I when out in the salvage yard and pulled the first one that was a pusher that would fit well .   Didnt cost me a dime and works great .  I have it on a switch in my console so i can turn it on as needed .   

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on August 13, 2010, 08:48:08 AM

my pusher fan , is a condenser fan out of a toyota corolla ,  I when out in the salvage yard and pulled the first one that was a pusher that would fit well .   Didnt cost me a dime and works great .  I have it on a switch in my console so i can turn it on as needed .   

Maybe I need to head out to pick-a-part here in Houston.......  ;D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 13, 2010, 08:51:03 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on August 13, 2010, 08:48:08 AM

Maybe I need to head out to pick-a-part here in Houston.......  ;D
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

A383Wing

Quote from: A383Wing on August 10, 2010, 08:33:00 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on August 10, 2010, 04:52:18 PM

I did that....will test out the Daytona this weekend...gonna be going through Oregon on Friday & Saturday in 95* weather....will see how it does

trip & temp went good..other than it hotter than hell out here....car never went above 200* with the new radiator....