News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chrysler 300 for sale on ebay

Started by chargerjy9, August 28, 2010, 06:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerjy9

saw on e bay 1968 Chrysler 300 convertible, yellow w/ black top and interior, have wanted that car, color combination since my neighbor next door had one brand new, back in the day.
listed on e bay as survivor, 90% original, described as finest unrestored example, ever. slick photos and a video taken of the car in action. I was hooked. found out the car was only one mile from home. went to look. car seemed pretty nice, jammed on the lot between other cars.: new top, beautiful interior,seats and carpet seemed new.chrome and bright work nice and shiny,paint looked new. I asked to have it pulled out so I could see it from a distance and then drive it. car was priced at $28K then reduced to $20K.(end of summer special!!) for that kind of cash, I expected that it be exactly as described. Not even close. the newly applied paint appeared to be a "$39.95 Earl Scheib" special, runs,drips,sags, thin spots, grind marks, etc. Drove it and couldn't wait to get it back to the lot. Brakes required supreme effort to stop, power windows didnt work well or seal tight, air cond made noise. PRNDL indicator didn't work, had to guess what the trans was doing. no turn signals, loud clunking noise from rear (loose exhaust pipe?), broken side shield trim piece on driver seat bottom. sales man was stereotypical used car salesman IMO. car was a huge disapointment for the amt of money asked. I know that a lot of the problems could have been easily fixed. Car would have been a buy at $10-11K. I learned a lesson as far as buying something on line. CAVEOT EMPTOR!!!!
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

1970Moparmann

Been there done that.  I put a down payment on a AAR Cuda from New York back in 2002.  Left on a Sunday night trailer in tow for the 11 hour drive.  Arrived at the sellers location and had the same reaction.  I didn't leave until I got my down payment back.  It still cost me $500 in gas though...... I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! 

Good thing the car was local to you!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1969chargerrtse

Sure looks nice. If it was my dream car I'd offer him 15k due to the paint.  The other stuff comes with old cars and can be fixed. Chances of finding that car in those colors still near original shape are zero.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

chargerjy9

yeah, that's it.  that's the problem; "sure looks nice" photo and video look great, car in person, not so much, yes I know that the little things can be fixed, the car is old. I only looked at it for 15 minutes, there may be more below the surface. cosmetically, it looks fine but the way I see it; for $20 K everything should work when it is presented as the "best original ever seen".   why would you sell/show a car under those pretenses when stuff doesn't work or is plain broken? I'm thinking $3 to 4K to make it right, a dependible driver. and $4 to 5K for a driver quality paint job. subtract that from $20K and now we are real. This Chrysler ain't no Cuda or Charger or GTX. It doesn't have the market appeal of those cars. I really like this model of car, this one appeals to me. I can see potential here. I guess my main problem is that this car was presented to the  on line public not the way it is in reality. the dealer comes off as kind of slimy, IMO.
1977 AMC Pacer original

b5blue

An older fella drives around in one just like that everyday here, same everything. It's at the Shell station up on the outside lift getting a brake job right now. Cool ride for a cool dude.  :2thumbs:

89MOPAR

One look at the at the undercarriage picture and engine compartment is enough to show it isn't a 'survivor'.  Cheezus, did the owner cover the convertible top in motor oil to get it that shiny ?
You are willing to offer 12K it sounds like, he just had a bid of 14K+ which wasn't enough, so i don't see ya'll meeting on price.
Be happy it was in your hometown, and chalk it up as lesson learned to not go excited overboard.

On the other hand, since it is just one mile away, what are the chances it is your neighbors old car ?   If it was, would that add value for you ?

90% original dents in the rear seat speaker grille is a reasonable claim for the seller   :icon_smile_blackeye:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Bigun426

The guy wants you to think the car is more than it is. Advertises dual exhaust looks like single to me.

chargerjy9

the 1st thing I noticed was the single exhaust, but I figured that any way because car wasn't advertised as a 440 TNT.
1977 AMC Pacer original

TUFCAT

The guy in the video appears to be the typiclal shady used car salesman to me. Beautiful home and neighborhood though...wonder if he actually lives there?

chargerjy9

I've heard people who dealt with him say that he is a good guy. That is one reason that I pursued this. but I did not deal with him, but some other shady character who was there. I've also heard that he uses that house setting in many of his car videos for ebay.
1977 AMC Pacer original

1969chargerrtse

Get in your head what you would pay. Hand him a note with the price and say " if you ever decide you'll take this, and nothing more. Give me a call.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.