News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thoughts on Money...

Started by 89MOPAR, December 21, 2005, 07:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89MOPAR

Since money and this hobby go hand-in-hand, and there is a wide disparity of income between members, I thought I'd paraphrase what I remember of part of an article from a Barrons newspaper.

" I'll tell you who else doesn't get respect, and that is Money.
   - Money, even those who have an abundance of it decry it as the
    root of all evil.
   - Those that don't have it feign utter contempt for it.
   - Money is the real lingua Franca - the universal language-,
    and when it speaks no-one has trouble understanding it.
   - Money supports the old, inspires the young, and provides
     security for man and nation alike.
   - BEST OF ALL, MONEY SHEDS IT'S BENEFITS ON PERSONS
     REGARDLESS OF RACE , CREED, OR PREVIOUS DEGREE OF
     SERVITUDE.   "

77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Shakey

The more you have, the more you spend.

I love it and hate it!

Charger_Fan

I hate it.

It's the only thing standing between me & a fully restored car.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ChargerAndy

Probably the wisest thing I have ever heard was from my Grandfather who said, "It is not how much you make, it is how much you spend."  :yesnod:  And the older I get the more I realize how right he was.   ;)  Andy

triple_green

Here's my thoughts on money......

I already spent next years summer vacation money on this years Christmas presents.

Argh!!

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Troy

Money is weird. When you don't have it you find ways to make things work but when you do have it you can't find a way to make anything work. An example is painting a car: when there's no money you can paint it with spray cans on a windy day at the end of a dirt road and make it look pretty good but when you have money you can spot the flaws in a premium professional job painted using the absolute best materials in a sealed, dust-free environment with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and then ask them to redo it. For the record, this takes twice as long and will probably get a chip the first trip around the block as well. Sometimes it's good to be broke because certain decisions are made for you (ie. which movie to see vs. staying home and watching reruns). My income fluctuates so much that I constantly switch from deciding what NOT to buy to what to buy today. I suppose that I'd always like to have something in reserve either way.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

PocketThunder

Money is like this website.  No man can live without it.  When work is slow i'm on here all the time, when work is busy, i cant find enough time to be on here but i manage.  I used to not come on here on the weekends but now i find myself reading the site instead of working on Chargers in the middle of the day Saturday or Sunday...

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Quote from: Troy on December 21, 2005, 08:44:42 PM
Money is weird. When you don't have it you find ways to make things work but when you do have it you can't find a way to make anything work. An example is painting a car: when there's no money you can paint it with spray cans on a windy day at the end of a dirt road and make it look pretty good but when you have money you can spot the flaws in a premium professional job painted using the absolute best materials in a sealed, dust-free environment with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and then ask them to redo it. For the record, this takes twice as long and will probably get a chip the first trip around the block as well. Sometimes it's good to be broke because certain decisions are made for you (ie. which movie to see vs. staying home and watching reruns). My income fluctuates so much that I constantly switch from deciding what NOT to buy to what to buy today. I suppose that I'd always like to have something in reserve either way.

Troy

Hey, are you taking donations to keep the site running?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

TruckDriver

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 21, 2005, 07:30:21 PM
I hate it.

It's the only thing standing between me & a fully restored car.
:smilielol:

Same here!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

andy74

my income fluctuates so much its either 2 much,or not quite enogh.of course if i had a wife who under stood it would help

RD

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:

IF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL AND SINCE MONEY IS MADE BY MAN, THEN IS MAN THE TRUE ROOT OF ALL EVIL?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

89MOPAR

Easier said than done - of course - and along the lines of "work smarter , not harder "
  is to have the fortitude to put money away and invest it.
Pay yourself first !    If you don't pay yourself, it'll be spent elsewhere. Deep down we know it's true    :icon_smile_shock:

A person may be the strongest, most motivated, smartest worker, but they can only work so much.
Maybe this great worker can work 60 hrs straight before they fall asleep for 18 hrs.

But money put aside to grow, will work for you 24 hrs a day 365 days a year !

I certainly wouldn't be considered rich, in America.   But I have put away 5% to 10% each paycheck into a 401K for several years.
Without getting specific, if I cashed out and paid the penalties, I could afford a nice new Magnum SRT-8, or RAM 3500.

Recently got a raise, about 4% because of a promotion.   I bumped   the 401K money up 2% , and the other 2% is for my pocket / car parts.
I wasn't used to the extra 4%, so never seeing [ except in financial statements ]   2% of it, really doesn't bother my spending.

Like a lot of us , I had heard this kind of stuff for ages, and I "wasted" a good 10 years of adult earnings never saving a dime.   :'(
If I had saved that extra 10 years I could cash out, buy a new Viper + a nice 2nd gen Charger as well.    :yesnod:

As always hindsight is 20-20 vision, but I'm glad it finally sunk in to this thick skull    :icon_smile_blackeye:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: 89MOPAR on December 21, 2005, 07:18:29 PM
  Since money and this hobby go hand-in-hand, and there is a wide disparity of income between members, I thought I'd paraphrase what I remember of part of an article from a Barrons newspaper.

" I'll tell you who else doesn't get respect, and that is Money.
    - Money, even those who have an abundance of it decry it as the
     root of all evil.
    - Those that don't have it feign utter contempt for it.
    - Money is the real lingua Franca - the universal language-,
     and when it speaks no-one has trouble understanding it.
    - Money supports the old, inspires the young, and provides
       security for man and nation alike.
    - BEST OF ALL, MONEY SHEDS IT'S BENEFITS ON PERSONS
       REGARDLESS OF RACE , CREED, OR PREVIOUS DEGREE OF
       SERVITUDE.     "

I like that.  Allow me to add one, from the inimitable Ayn Rand:

"So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced, and there are men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must do so by trade, and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?

"When you accept money in payment for your effort, you do so on the conviction that you will be able to exchange it for the products of the effort of others. It is neither the moochers nor the looters who give value to money. Neither an ocean of tears nor all the guns in the world can transform those pieces of paper in your wallet into bread you will need to survive tomorrow. Those pieces of paper, which should really be gold, are a token of honor - your claim upon the energy of the men who produce. Your wallet is your statement of hope that somewhere in the world around you there are men who will not default on the moral principle that is the root of money. Is this what you consider evil?"

70 Battle Horse

I like that.   Allow me to add one, from the inimitable Ayn Rand:

"So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced, and there are men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must do so by trade, and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?

"When you accept money in payment for your effort, you do so on the conviction that you will be able to exchange it for the products of the effort of others. It is neither the moochers nor the looters who give value to money. Neither an ocean of tears nor all the guns in the world can transform those pieces of paper in your wallet into bread you will need to survive tomorrow. Those pieces of paper, which should really be gold, are a token of honor - your claim upon the energy of the men who produce. Your wallet is your statement of hope that somewhere in the world around you there are men who will not default on the moral principle that is the root of money. Is this what you consider evil?"
Vain , is that quote from"Atlas Shrugged"??? Or is this from the "Ayn Rand Lexicon"

Best 1/4 run so far 12.7 @ 108 mph

triple_green

Another thing I learned and observed:

You can be diligent and save a little all of your life and bad things can happen. Medical expenses, acts of nature, etc....but the one thing that is for sure, is that is you save nothing, nothing is what you will end up with every time.

3X

Shakey

Who is the smarter man?

The fellow that dies with a million dollars in the bank or the fellow that dies owing a million dollars to the bank?

Drop Top

Shakey;
In answer to your question. The man that has money in the bank is much smarter. If he dies owing money his children or wife will have to pay his debt for him. If he has no wife or children then his closest relative will have to do it.

Shakey

Quote from: Drop Top on December 22, 2005, 10:04:47 AM
Shakey;
In answer to your question. The man that has money in the bank is much smarter. If he dies owing money his children or wife will have to pay his debt for him. If he has no wife or children then his closest relative will have to do it.

I had though about it as I typed.  I figured life insurance would cover most of it. 

Either way, my Wife and I adopted the principle "if we can't afford it, then we can do without".  Sure there are some items we have that we don't really need (ie: '69 Dodge Charger) but one thing we do not do is live beyond our means.  We would much rather live debt free and not worry about picking up the mail or the telephone.  We are close to paying the house off, owe minimal amount on the LoC and the car payments are covered by my company!  Now she wants to throw a 2nd Child into the mix!

As I stated earlier, I love money and I hate it!

There are times when I would like to pack up and head for the hills, go Grizzly Adams if you will!

Telvis

Just don't ever get an ex wife.  :rotz: They will bleed you dry.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: ChargerAndy on December 21, 2005, 08:09:18 PM
Probably the wisest thing I have ever heard was from my Grandfather who said, "It is not how much you make, it is how much you spend."   :yesnod:   And the older I get the more I realize how right he was.     ;)   Andy

My Grandmother always told me a variation of that.
"It's not how you make,it's how much you save.

Both are very wise.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Darkness

My thought on money are enjoy it if you make a lot of money because you never what will happen to you. Don't go crazy but, don't be so tight that you never get to enjoy life. Life is too short to not to get out and enjoy. I myself am enjoying life as much as I can because the world isn't going to get any better with everything going on. Anyways, that's my thoughts on money.

tomonty

Quote from: 89vert4x4 on December 22, 2005, 01:50:18 PM
My thought on money are enjoy it if you make a lot of money because you never what will happen to you. Don't go crazy but, don't be so tight that you never get to enjoy life. Life is too short to not to get out and enjoy. I myself am enjoying life as much as I can because the world isn't going to get any better with everything going on. Anyways, that's my thoughts on money.

:iagree:  Well said....

Mike
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

doechsle

Money is alot like sex,it's not a big issue until you have had it .

Orange_Crush

I like money.

More specifically, I like the things I can buy with it.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Ponch ®

"man made the money, money never made the man"

-LL Cool J
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Old Moparz

"When shit becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
-Henry Miller
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 22, 2005, 02:33:01 PM
"When shit becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
-Henry Miller
:haha: That's no shit! :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Ponch on December 22, 2005, 02:25:28 PM

-LL Cool J

No hay que llegar primero, pero hay que saber llegar.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 22, 2005, 02:50:24 PM

-LL Cool J

Con dinero y sin dinero
hago siempre lo que quiero.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Old Moparz

Acabo de cobrar mi cheque hoy.  ¿Quién desea una cerveza?
               Bob                

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Ponch on December 22, 2005, 03:03:29 PM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 22, 2005, 02:50:24 PM

-LL Cool J

Con dinero y sin dinero
hago siempre lo que quiero.

Precisely

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 22, 2005, 03:10:50 PM

No tomo, pero prestame dinero para una puta!

Ponch ®

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 22, 2005, 03:13:33 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on December 22, 2005, 03:10:50 PM

No tomo, pero prestame dinero para una puta!

:haha:

ya no hay que platicar en Castellano. Los pinches gabachos se van a encabronar y van empesar con sus mamadas de que "this is America, speak english".

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Ponch on December 22, 2005, 03:15:16 PM

ya no hay que platicar en Castellano. Los pinches gabachos se van a encabronar y van empesar con sus mamadas de que "this is America, speak english".

You're right...allow me to translate.

My first line in Spanish (And Mojo's response) were lines from a song that is basically the Defacto Mexican national anthem.

My line was:

"The point is not in getting there first, it is in knowing how to get there"

Mojo's line was "with money or without money, I always do what I want"

Old Mopars came in with (and this is NOT a line from the song):

"I just got paid, who wants a beer?"

I responded with:

"I don't drink but will you lend me money for a whore?"

Ponch ®

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 22, 2005, 03:31:42 PM
Quote from: Ponch on December 22, 2005, 03:15:16 PM

You're right...allow me to translate.

My first line in Spanish (And Mojo's response) were lines from a song that is basically the Defacto Mexican national anthem.

My line was:

"The point is not in getting there first, it is in knowing how to get there"

Mojo's line was "with money or without money, I always do what I want"

Old Mopars came in with (and this is NOT a line from the song):

"I just got paid, who wants a beer?"

I responded with:

"I don't drink but will you lend me money for a whore?"

:2thumbs:

Old Moparz

Merci écrasement orange.   La moitié de M. Ponch de mots signalé étaient unaccountable par le traducteur que j'utilise.     :D
               Bob                

Ponch ®

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 22, 2005, 03:55:59 PM
Merci écrasement orange.   La moitié de M. Ponch de mots signalé étaient unaccountable par le traducteur que j'utilise.     :D

its because I used a lot of vernacular spanish.

or "c'est parce que j'utiise beacoup ...ah forget it. I cant remember how to finish that sentence off in francais.

Vainglory, Esq.

Ooh, ohh!  Now I get to show off! :P

That was some rather bad French, OM, but for those of you who didn't get what he was saying, it was "Thanks, orange crush; half of the words used by Monsieur Ponch were not available through the translator that I used."

Mojo, to finish - "C'est parce que j'ai utilisé beaucoup de mots dans la vernaculaire d'espagnol."

Ponch ®

Quote from: Vainglory on December 22, 2005, 04:55:33 PM

Mojo, to finish - "C'est parce que j'ai utilisé beaucoup de mots dans la vernaculaire d'espagnol."

yeah, what he said...
;D

Vainglory, Esq.

And since we're on the french, here are a few money quotes:

"L'argent est un bon domestique, mais un mauvais maitre."
or
"Money is a good servant, but a bad master."
--French proverb

and

"France is the thriftiest of all nations; to a Frenchman sex provides the most economical way to have fun. The French are a logical race."
--Anita Loos

triple_green

VG,

I love the Anita Loos quote. That's what I want for Chistmas. In the context of marriage of course.    :angel: :flame:

3X

73dodge

In the words of the great Pink Philosopher

Money, get away.
Get a good job with good pay and you’re okay.
Money, it’s a gas.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.
New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I’ll buy me a football team.

Money, get back.
I’m all right jack keep your hands off of my stack.
Money, it’s a hit.
Don’t give me that do goody good bullshit.
I’m in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a lear jet.

Money, it’s a crime.
Share it fairly but don’t take a slice of my pie.
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today.
But if you ask for a raise it’s no surprise that they’re
Giving none away.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!