News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

car transport recommendations?

Started by madmike, August 26, 2010, 11:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike

Can anybody recommend a classic car auto transport service they have successfully used?  I need to transport my incomplete but rolling '68 Charger from Phoenix, AZ to Texarkana. AR.  The company I chose (a random Internet finding) is already giving me the run around...

Thanks,
Mike

madmike

Not a single person can recommend a car transport company?

Tilar

I've never used a transport company as I have my own trailer, Sorry.  :shruggy:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Arigmaster

Contact Schreveport Moving & Storage in Louisiana. They have trucks going through those areas all the time. Let them know what you are moving. The car can be loaded into and unloaded from their inclosed van trailers by transfering using a roll back tow truck in each city. (That will help alot with cost) It would be almost like having portable docks at both ends of the trip.

1969chargerrtse

I used the one ebay recommends (DAS) and they chain strapped my car and tore the frame in several locations.  :rotz:
And this was after I called CA and told them. Not to chain strap it. They said they don't, they use tire straps. I sent them a bill for 500.00 and they sent me. Check for 250.00. Idiots.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 02, 2010, 05:19:07 AM
I used the one ebay recommends and they chain strapped my car and tore the frame in several locations.  :rotz:

Mine has the same type of damage.  :flame:

chargd72

Let me know what you go with.  I might be needing a transport from Chandler AZ to Austin very soon if all works out  :icon_smile_big:

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Arigmaster

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 02, 2010, 05:19:07 AM
I used the one ebay recommends (DAS) and they chain strapped my car and tore the frame in several locations.  :rotz:
And this was after I called CA and told them. Not to chain strap it. They said they don't, they use tire straps. I sent them a bill for 500.00 and they sent me. Check for 250.00. Idiots.

I hope this might help all of you when it comes to transporting your cars or even parts from one place to another using any carrier...

Always be aware of your carriers liability coverages! Most of them have limited liability coverage as part of the shipping contract however the industry standard is around $ .25 per CWT. What this means is if there is damage to your vehicle or even if it's a total loss... They are only obligated to pay $ .25 for every hundred pounds of the total shipment weight.

In other words... A 2500 lb car has a total liability of $250.00 and that's it.

Many carriers will offer additional insurance based on valuation however the terms and conditiona of this are limited as well. I would recomend that you take out a policy with your own insurance company any time you transport a vehicle and this way you will be self insured in the event of damage by a carrier. Thus, you will still get your $250.00 from the carrier but you will also have the additional policy to cover anything else above that.

mikepmcs

A very reputable and trusted source on this forum told me about this company. Pilot Transport out of Michigan. There # is 248-486-3700. It was just too expensive for me but their customer service on the phone was very good.
A just as reputable and trusted source told me about this company.... Trusty Transport   http://www.trustytransport.com/     Their communication is horrible,i mean non existant unless you email them continuously, but when the car finally was picked up and it arrived here, it was undamaged and the drivers(husband and wife team most likely hired by trusty) brought it in an enclosed hauler(which was a bonus cause I didn't pay for that)and were 2 of the nicest people I had ever met. I had to meet them about 3 miles from my house because of the size of their truck and my road not being truck friendly and the wife offered to follow me back in my truck to my house so I could get both vehicles home immediately.
I will find their direct number to their trucking company and give it to you if you would like. They reside near the 29 palms area, California.
I do not know their takes on a rolling chassis though?

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Ghoste

Higgins Auto Transport in Greencastle Indiana.  317-727-6862

ayamen

Used a company called American Auto Transport for classic car auto shipping. They did an excellent job, but the car was running so I don't know what kind of service you'll get with that. I hear it's a good deal harder to find shipping for vehicles that don't run.

Troy

Quote from: ayamen on November 24, 2010, 03:54:03 PM
Used a company called American Auto Transport for classic car auto shipping. They did an excellent job, but the car was running so I don't know what kind of service you'll get with that. I hear it's a good deal harder to find shipping for vehicles that don't run.
You could at least try to use a fake email address if you're going to pretend to be a customer. Just a thought...

I have no opinion either way of the company or services offered but self promotion under the guise of a 3rd party is highly frowned upon. It's also considered "trolling" and expressly forbidden in the Terms of Service agreement.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Not to mention funny as hell when you get publicly busted.  :smilielol:

Dans 68

I used FedEx Transport. Very impressed and would recommend them. I don't know if they transport non-running vehicles. Here are a few photos from my experience with them. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,39025.msg442096.html#msg442096

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

mikepmcs

Quote from: mikepmcs on September 04, 2010, 08:24:18 AM
A very reputable and trusted source on this forum told me about this company. Pilot Transport out of Michigan. There # is 248-486-3700. It was just too expensive for me but their customer service on the phone was very good.
A just as reputable and trusted source told me about this company.... Trusty Transport   http://www.trustytransport.com/     Their communication is horrible,i mean non existant unless you email them continuously, but when the car finally was picked up and it arrived here, it was undamaged and the drivers(husband and wife team most likely hired by trusty) brought it in an enclosed hauler(which was a bonus cause I didn't pay for that)and were 2 of the nicest people I had ever met. I had to meet them about 3 miles from my house because of the size of their truck and my road not being truck friendly and the wife offered to follow me back in my truck to my house so I could get both vehicles home immediately.
I will find their direct number to their trucking company and give it to you if you would like. They reside near the 29 palms area, California.
I do not know their takes on a rolling chassis though?

I did give the number to a member but forgot to make it available to everyone else. My apologies for the delay. 
It's
Running Naked Transport
56800 Java Dr
Yucca Valley, Ca 92284
(760) 203-1734
Fax (760) 203 1736
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

elacruze

I used this company to bring my pickup from South Dakota to Florida. I expected a small rig as shown, but the truck showed up on a Tractor-Trailer. My cost was $1500 all in. I wasn't home yet from Afghanistan so I did the deal entirely through email. My wife said he was a stellar professional, very good with communication along the way and helpful when unloading (battery went bad in the pickup along the way) Based on her opinion and my communication with him, I'd definitely use him again. He's based right between your pickup and destination, too.

<edit> Crap, just read his feedback and may be out of business. You could have a look, anyway.

http://www.uship.com/profile/drmachetti/
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1969chargerrtse

Don't use ebay's DAS, they screwed me over twice.
OOoooops, just scrolled down and realized I already commented in the past, sorry.
Happy Thanksgiving!  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

maxwellwedge

These guys kick butt!   http://hillbillyautotransport.com/

Ignore the name - They are top-notch in all my dealings with them.

Tilar

:haha:  Great website they have.  Nothing wrong with hillbillies, There used to be some in Beverly Hills.  :lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

maxwellwedge

And No - They don't do GL's only!   :lol:

bigblock_doc

Quote from: madmike on August 26, 2010, 11:52:59 AM
Can anybody recommend a classic car auto transport service they have successfully used?  I need to transport my incomplete but rolling '68 Charger from Phoenix, AZ to Texarkana. AR.  The company I chose (a random Internet finding) is already giving me the run around...

Thanks,
Mike
You can give me a try. I have a 28ft. enclosed trailer. I have transported for a lot guys on Moparts website.
Cost now is 1.00 a mile plus tolls. That will be figured into the quote.
Thanks,
Doc
734-326-5955h
734-341-0507c
schwarzdoc@yahoo.com